|Named for||Karli River|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
||This article is written like a travel guide rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (November 2012)|
Tarkarli is a village in Malvan Taluka in Sindhudurg district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is tourist destination and an attractive beach. This village is famous for its Ramnavmi Utsav. Ramnavmi is celebrated every year in Mahapurush Temple of the village. This place has gained prominence because of its long and narrow stretch of beach with pristine waters and water sports. On a clear day, one can see the bed unto a depth of 20 ft. It presents a panoramic view with tall 'Shuru' trees in the background. The wide river, the beautiful sailboats and the tiny hamlets situated on the riverbank, add to the picturesque beauty of Tarkarli. Sighting dolphins is not a rare event here. This place fishes throughout the year, the sea during summer and winter and back-waters during the monsoon since the sea water enters this area and also due to safety reasons.
Tarkarli is 8 km south of Malvan and 546 km from Mumbai on the west coast of India, at the confluence of the Karli River and the Arabian Sea.
How to reach there
- By Air: Nearest airport is Dabolim Airport in Goa.
- By Rail: Following options exist:
- Sindhudurg, but all trains don't stop there and also connectivity by means of bus and rickshaw are not very good.
- Kudal on the Konkan Railway. This is around 1 hour 15 minutes by road from Malvan. Buses are available from and to Malvan after every 30 minutes. Frequency is slow in the evening. If you want to go to tarkali directly, taxis and rickshaws are available from kudal station east, 700rs for taxi after a bit of bargaining. (November rate 2012) Takes you directly to tarkali beach road where you can find accommodation by asking the cab driver to stop for couple of minutes.
- Kankavli on the Konkan Railway. This is around 1 hour 30 minutes by road from Malvan. Buses are available from and to Malvan after every 30 minutes. Frequency is slow in the evening.
- By Road: Tarkarli is easily accessible from Malvan by bus and rickshaw. Tarkarli is 475 KM (Panvel Kochi Road, NH 17) and 576 KM (Mumbai Kohlapur Road NH 4) away from Mumbai. Daily private, luxury and State Transport bus service available from various parts of Goa, Mumbai, Pune to Malvan.
Places to stay
MTDC Resort is a known place to stay in Tarkarli. Tourists can also opt for the Govt. approved Home Stays in the village. There are few houses in village which avails rooms on rent.
Places to see
1. Sindhudurg Fort 2. Malvan market 3. Sangam 4. Nivati Beach 5. Golden Rock 6. Rock Garden at Malwan 7. malvan plateau
- Snorkeling ( to see corals and fishes )
- Scuba diving
- Scuba Diving and Snorkeling
- white water rafting
You can hire an entire boat for around 1800rs/- (diwali time 2012 rate) It will take you for dolphin seeing, golden rocks, tsunami island (for water sports) and snorkelling if you wish even if you don't know how to swim, they have floats.
Beaches can be dangerous as currents are strong on shore and locals recommend not to wander in more than waist high. Boat owners will stop the boat in deep water to allow a swim where the currents are less strong.
- Akhil Tarkarli Gramvikas Mandal, Est. (1961)
- Darywardi Kala-Krida Mandal