Tarpley is an unincorporated community in Bandera County, Texas, United States. It is part of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area. The town is located about 12 miles southwest of Bandera. The zip code is 78883.
The Bandera Independent School District serves area students.
A post office named Hondo Cañon opened in 1878 near Williams Creek. In 1899, it was moved further south and renamed Tarpley after the postmaster's son. In 1900 a store was attached on the post office and in 1902 a Baptist church and school opened. By 1925, the community had a population of 25, rising to 40 in 1984. In 1990 and 2000, Tarpley's population was 30.
In recent years, Tarpley has become known as the site of the famous Mac & Ernie's Roadside Eatery.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Tarpley has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "TARPLEY, TX ZIP Codes". Zip-Codes. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- "TARPLEY, TX-The Handbook of Texas". The Handbook of Texas. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- "Tarpley Texas (TX)-City Profile By Cofran's Texas Hill Country Portal". Hill Country Portal. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- "Tarpley, Tx restaurants on Diners, Drive-Ins Dives, Man vs. Food and other shows". TV Food Maps. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Climate Summary for Tarpley, Texas
|This article about a location in Bandera County, Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|