Tarzan (2016 film)
|Directed by||David Yates|
|Produced by||David Barron
|Written by||Stuart Beattie
Samuel L. Jackson
Simon Russell Beale
|Edited by||Mark Day|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Tarzan is an upcoming American action adventure film directed by David Yates and written by Stuart Beattie, Craig Brewer, John Collee, and Adam Cozad, based on the fictional character Tarzan created by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The film stars Alexander Skarsgård, Margot Robbie, Christoph Waltz, and Samuel L. Jackson.
Principal photography on the film commenced on June 30, 2014 at Warner Bros. Leavesden Studios in UK, and wrapped-up on October 3, 2014. Warner Bros. is co-producing the film with Jerry Weintraub Productions and Riche Productions. It is scheduled for release on July 1, 2016.
It has been years since the man once known as Tarzan (Alexander Skarsgård) left the jungles of Africa behind for a gentrified life in London as John Clayton III, Lord Greystoke, with his beloved wife, Jane Porter (Margot Robbie) at his side. Now, he has been invited back to the Congo to serve as a trade emissary of Parliament, unaware that he is a pawn in a deadly convergence of greed and revenge, masterminded by the Belgian, Captain Rom (Christoph Waltz). But those behind the murderous plot have no idea what they are about to unleash.
- Alexander Skarsgård as Tarzan
- Margot Robbie as Jane Porter
- Christoph Waltz as Captain Rom
- Samuel L. Jackson as George Washington Williams
- Djimon Hounsou as Chief Mbonga
- John Hurt
- Simon Russell Beale 
- Osy Ikhile
In June 2003, John August was paid to adapt/pen a modern day live-action big-budget feature version of Tarzan for Warner Bros. and Jerry Weintraub Productions. On December 14, 2006, it was announced that Warner Bros. is developing a Tarzan film with the fictional character Tarzan created by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jerry Weintraub will produce the film, Guillermo del Toro will direct the film while John Collee will write the script of the film. On September 2, 2008, Variety reported that director Stephen Sommers is in negotiations to direct the film, he'll also co-write the film with Stuart Beattie. Later on December 3, 2008, Entertainment Weekly posted that the film will be most like Pirates of the Caribbean style. In July 2009, writer Beattie talked about Tarzan which he was working on, he said the film will be "big romantic action-adventure film" and it would involve parkour and other high energy action. Later in October 2010, news confirmed that Sommers, who was expecting to direct the film, has left the Tarzan film project. The project was on paused after Sommers left but later On May 6, 2011, Warner Bros. again started the development of the film, the studio hired two writers Craig Brewer and Adam Cozad to pen separate drafts of the script. On June 2, 2011 it Brewer confirmed that, he will re-write and direct the Tarzan film. In October 2011, Brewer was asked about the Tarzan trilogy, but he denied of it, and he has given the script to the studio. On June 18, 2012, David Yates, Gary Ross and Susanna White were circling around the director seat for Warner Bros.' Tarzan. On August 1, 2012, it was in the news that director David Yates is in final talks to direct the Tarzan film. Later on November 7, 2012 David Yates confirmed that he'll direct the film. On April 10, 2013 Deadline reported that the studio has shut down the production of the film this year due to high budget, and they will try again to start the production in 2014. In December 2013 the studio was reportedly close to give the film a greenlight. On February 11, 2014 Warner Bros. set the July 1, 2016 as a worldwide release date for the 3D film which has officially begun pre-production. Village Roadshow Pictures had a deal with WB to co-finance the film. An official synopsis was revealed along with some crew which includes director of photography Henry Braham, production designer Stuart Craig, editor Mark Day, and costume designer Ruth Myers would be collaborating with Yates behind the scenes.
On August 12, 2012, swimmer Michael Phelps was reportedly in talks to join the film to play lead as his debut to showbiz career. On November 7, 2012 the studio was eyeing Tom Hardy, Henry Cavill and Charlie Hunnam to play the title role in the film. On November 14, 2012, Alexander Skarsgård was added to the cast by the choice of director Yates, he'll play the title role, while Samuel L. Jackson was also being eyed to play Williams in the film. On March 6, 2013, Yates wanted Jessica Chastain to play the female lead role as Jane Porter. Once Jamie Foxx was also wanted to star in the film to play the third lead role. On September 26, 2013, Christoph Waltz was in talks to play as a villain in the film, he'll portray a Belgian soldier named Captain Rom who attempts to capture Tarzan in exchange for a ransom in diamonds. The studio has eyes on Margot Robbie and Emma Stone to play the female lead character Jane Porter. On December 11, 2013, Samuel L. Jackson, who was previously being eyed, has signed on to play Williams in the film. On January 18, 2014, Margot Robbie was confirmed to play the female lead as Jane in the Tarzan film along with Skarsgard, beating Stone to this role. On June 4, Djimon Hounsou was set to play Chief Mbonga in the film. On June 17, Osy Ikhile was added to the cast to play a supporting role but the character wasn't announced.
The principal photography on the film commenced on June 30, 2014 at Warner Bros. Studios in Leavesden, Hertfordshire, UK. The filming had begun on the day announcement was made for the expansion of the studio. The filming wrapped-up the same year on October 3.
Warner Bros. has set the film for a July 1, 2016 release.
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (7 November 2012). "David Yates Committing to Tarzan at Warner Bros.". vulture.com. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Kit, Borys (11 February 2014). "Warner Bros. Sets Release Date for Its 3D 'Tarzan' Movie". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (14 November 2012). "Alexander Skarsgard swings into ‘Tarzan’ frontrunner". variety.com. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- "‘Wolf of Wall Street’ Star Margot Robbie in Talks for ‘Tarzan’ – She's Jane". thewrap.com. 18 January 2014. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Kit, Borys (26 September 2013). "Christoph Waltz in Talks to Play the Villain in 'Tarzan'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (11 December 2013). "Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for ‘Tarzan’ at Warner Bros.". variety.com. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (4 June 2014). "Djimon Hounsou Joins ‘Tarzan’". deadline.com. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (17 June 2014). "‘In the Heart of the Sea’ Actor Osy Ikhile Joins Djimon Hounsou in ‘Tarzan’". thewrap.com. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- Dunkley, Cathy (26 June 2003). "August ape for ‘Tarzan’". variety.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Fleming, Michael (14 December 2006). "‘Tarzan’ on vine for Warner Bros.". variety.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- McNary, Dave (2 September 2008). "Sommers in talks to direct ‘Tarzan’". variety.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Spines, Christine (3 December 2008). "Tarzan preps big-screen return, 'Pirates of the Caribbean' style". ew.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Billington, Alex (20 July 2009). "Stuart Beattie on What to Expect in His New Tarzan Movie". firstshowing.net. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (18 October 2010). "Stephen Sommers Leaves WME For CAA". deadline.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (6 May 2011). "Warner Bros Has One, Maybe Two Tarzan Pic Swinging From The Vine". deadline.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- McNary, Dave (2 June 2011). "Craig Brewer set to direct ‘Tarzan’". variety.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "Craig Brewer Denies 'Tarzan' Trilogy". latinoreview.com. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Han, Angie (18 June 2012). "David Yates, Gary Ross, and Susanna White Circling One of Warner Bros.’ ‘Tarzan’ Movies". slashfilm.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (1 August 2012). "Director Talk: David Yates For ‘Tarzan’". deadline.com. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (10 April 2013). "‘Tarzan’ Dying On The Vine At Warner Bros?". deadline.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Cheney, Alexandra (May 5, 2014). "Village Roadshow Inks Co-Finance Deal with Sony Pictures". variety.com. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Chavez, Kellvin (July 14, 2014). "Filming Begins for 'Tarzan 3D'". latino-review.com. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "Michael Phelps tipped as Tarzan in Brit director's film". theweek.co.uk. 12 August 2012. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (7 November 2012). "David Yates Committing to Tarzan at Warner Bros.". vulture.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Lussier, Germain (6 March 2013). "David Yates Wants Jessica Chastain For ‘Tarzan’". slashfilm.com. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Gallagher, Brian (June 30, 2014). "Warner Bros. Expands Leavesden Studios as 'Tarzan' Begins Production". movieweb.com. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- Cox, Gordon (30 June 2014). "Warner Bros. to Expand Leavesden Studios as ‘Tarzan’ Starts Filming". variety.com. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (30 June 2014). "Warner Bros Studios Leavesden To Expand In UK; ‘Tarzan’ Swings Into Residence". deadline.com. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "On The Set For 10/06/14: Liam Neeson Starts A Monster Calls, Alexander Skarsgard Wraps Tarzan". ssninsider.com. October 6, 2014. Retrieved October 7, 2014.