Tarzan and the Mermaids
|Tarzan and the Mermaids|
|Directed by||Robert Florey|
|Produced by||Sol Lesser|
|Written by||Edgar Rice Burroughs (characters)
Carroll Young (screenplay)
|Based on||Characters created by
by Edgar Rice Burroughs
|Music by||Dimitri Tiomkin|
|Edited by||Merrill G. White|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures Inc.|
|Running time||68 min.|
Tarzan and the Mermaids is a 1948 adventure film based on the Tarzan character created by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Directed by Robert Florey, it was the last of the Tarzan movies to star Johnny Weissmuller in the title role.
- Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan
- Brenda Joyce as Jane
- George Zucco as Palanth, the High Priest
- Andrea Palma as Luana, Mara's Mother
- Fernando Wagner as Varga, Pearl Trader
- Edward Ashley as Commissioner
- John Laurenz as Benji
- Gustavo Rojo as Tiko, Mara's Fiancé
- Matthew Boulton as British Inspector-General
- Linda Christian as Mara
The film was shot in Mexico by RKO during its collaboration with Churubusco Studios at Acapulco, Teotihuacan and Mexico City. It was the first official Tarzan film to be filmed outside the United States since Herman Brix's The New Adventures of Tarzan.
Two members of the film crew were killed during production. One Mexican crew member was crushed by a motorboat whilst Angel Garcia, a stunt diver who doubled for Tarzan's high dive, was killed after he survived the dive but was swept by the surf into the rocks of the cliffs.
- "Tarzan and the Mermaids: Detail View". American Film Institute. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- p.4 Schneider, Jerry L. Edgar Rice Burroughs and the Silver Screen Vol. IV The Locations 2009 Lulu
- p.169 Vernon, Alex On Tarzan 2008 University of Georgia Press
- Tarzan and the Mermaids at the Internet Movie Database
- Tarzan and the Mermaids at AllMovie
- Tarzan and the Mermaids at the TCM Movie Database