TasRail 2100 Class locomotive in May 2011
|Dates of operation||2009–|
|Track gauge||3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)|
TasRail (legally Tasmanian Railway Pty Ltd) is a train operator owned by the Government of Tasmania that has operated the mainline railways in Tasmania since September 2009. It only operates freight services, passenger trains having ceased in July 1978.
Established under the Rail Company Act 2009, in September 2009 the Tasmanian Government purchased the Tasmanian rail business from Pacific National. TasRail was created combining the above-rail (rollingstock) and business assets with the below-rail assets (track and associated infrastructure) for which the state had assumed responsibility for in May 2007, forming a vertically integrated rail operator.
TasRail inherited a fleet of 36 rebuilt former Queensland Railways 1300, 1460, 1502 and 2350s, Western Australian Government Railways D class all rebuilt by Tranz Rail in New Zealand, along with former Tasmanian Government Railways Y, Z and Za class locomotives. It inherited 378 wagons.
In November 2011 four 2150 class locomotives were purchased from Queensland Rail. In December 2011, TasRail ordered 17 new PR22L TR class locomotives from a consortium of Downer Rail and Progress Rail Services to replace the railway's entire locomotive fleet, with the first being delivered in December 2013 and the balance to arrive in 2014. These American built locomotives are the first new locomotives delivered to Tasmania since 1976. In October 2012 TasRail ordered 191 new freight wagons.
- "TasRail - Home". www.tasrail.com.au. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- Rail Sale Agreement Finalised Asciano 7 September 2009
- "Tasmanian Railway Network Declaration Application". www.ncc.gov.au. 1 May 2007. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- Background - Organisation of Australia's Railways Department of Infrastructure & Regional Development
- Our Trains TasRail
- 2050 Class Rail Tasmania
- New locomotive fleet for Tasmania railexpress.com.au 15 December 2011
- "TasRail awards locomotive replacement contract". Railway Gazette International. 13 December 2011. Archived from the original on 21 December 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- TasRail unveils its two new locomotives TasRail 3 December 2013
- PR221 Branch Line Locomotive & Derivatives Downer Rail
- New era for Rail a Step Closer TasRail 24 October 2012
- Annual Report June 2013 TasRail
- Wagons Ho! TasRail
|Rail transport in Tasmania