Taste of Fear
|Taste of Fear
Scream of Fear
Original British theatrical poster
|Directed by||Seth Holt|
|Produced by||Jimmy Sangster
|Written by||Jimmy Sangster|
|Music by||Clifton Parker|
|Edited by||Eric Boyd-Perkins|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures Corporation|
|Release dates||London: Jan 1961
New York: 4 April 1961
|Running time||78 minutes|
|Box office||$800,000 (Europe)|
Taste of Fear (US title: Scream of Fear) is a 1961 British thriller film directed by Seth Holt, shot in black-and-white by Douglas Slocombe, and released by Hammer Films. The film stars Susan Strasberg, Ronald Lewis, Ann Todd, and Christopher Lee, the latter, one of Hammer's most bankable stars, in a supporting role.
A young paralysed woman (Susan Strasberg) returns to her family home after the mysterious disappearance of her father. She has a cool relationship with her stepmother, while the chauffeur helps her to investigate the father's disappearance. During the investigations, she finds the father's corpse in various locations around the house, but it always quickly vanishes again before anyone else sees it.
- Susan Strasberg as Penny Appleby
- Ronald Lewis as Bob
- Ann Todd as Jane Appleby
- Christopher Lee as Doctor Gerrard
- John Serret as Inspector Legrand
- Leonard Sachs as Spratt
- Anne Blake as Marie
- Fred Johnson as Father
The film was not a large success in the UK and US but was very popular in Europe and led to a cycle of similar films.
- Christopher Lee has been quoted as saying: "Taste of Fear was the best film that I was in that Hammer ever made... [...] It had the best director, the best cast and the best story."
- Lee recalled that, while shooting the dining-room scene, he suddenly realized he was being observed by Gary Cooper. Director Seth Holt remarked that Lee looked as though he'd "seen a ghost". Cooper was shooting what was to be his last film, The Naked Edge, at the studio. Lee recalls seeing Cooper having lunch every day by himself; the actor was dying of cancer.
- In March 2013, it was announced that the film will be remade for Sony, and directed by Juan Antonio Bayona, whose previous credits include the acclaimed 2007 Spanish horror film, The Orphanage.
- Marcus Hearn, The Hammer Vault, Titan Books, 2011 p61
- Hearn & Barnes 2007, p. 61.
- "Exclusive: 'Orphanage' Director Will 'Scream of Fear'!". Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- Hearn, Marcus; Barnes, Alan (September 2007). "Taste of Fear". The Hammer Story: The Authorised History of Hammer Films (Limited ed.). Titan Books. ISBN 1 84576 185 5.
- Scream of Fear at the Internet Movie Database
- Taste of Fear at Rotten Tomatoes
- Scream of Fear at AllMovie
- Taste of Fear at the TCM Movie Database