|Location||Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
Tata-Dhan Academy is an institution in India for Post Graduation in development management. Located in Madurai, it was co-founded by the Sir Ratan Tata Trust and the DHAN Foundation in December, 2000. The Tata-Dhan Academy trains students to be development professionals.
Tata-Dhan Academy’s focus is on its two-year Programme in Post Graduation in development management, during which students learn to become development professionals and development entrepreneurs. PDM is a two-year residential programme where students learn appropriate managerial techniques to deal with complex issues of development. This helps in effecting development programmes at various levels.
There is an emphasis on learning and building knowledge through Action Reflection Learning. The focus is on building techno-managerial competencies supported by appropriate motivations, values and attitudes to work with disadvantaged people, with a view to "building people's organisations to build people".
The Academy's stated mission is to:
- Induct and groom young graduates as development professionals.
- Build the capacity of practitioners in the development sector.
- Build and enable a world of knowledge & practice through action-reflection and adapting global knowledge.
Asian Knowledge Centre for Mutual Insurance (ASKMI)
The Asian Knowledge Centre for Mutual Insurance is a specialized centre at the Tata-Dhan Academy designed to involve experts in mutual and micro insurance, local governments, researchers, academic institutions, donors, and international development and aid organizations in integrating and building knowledge about Asia’s mutual insurance.
The major goals of ASKMI are to:
- Facilitate building, sharing, and disseminating knowledge on good and bad practices on micro insurance and mutual insurance to field practitioners and other stakeholders.
- Shape and guide the promotion of insurance for the poor in Asia through action research, reflective practices, policy advocacy, and capacity building of practitioners.
- Collaborate with various stakeholders to advance the knowledge and field practices on insurance for the poor in Asia
Centre for Disaster Risk Reduction
The major goals of the Centre for Disaster Preparedness, Mitigation, and Management are to:
- Undertake research to build upon the existing knowledge base and actively disseminate new knowledge.
- Create a database related to disasters and positioning the centre as a resource centre.
- Build the internal capacity of DHAN Foundation and Tata-Dhan Academy.
- Standardize tools and methods for integrating disaster risk reduction in development planning and practices.