|Type||Public (BSE: 500770)|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Key people||Cyrus Pallonji Mistry
|Products||Basic and industrial chemicals, nitrogenous and phosphatic fertilizers, industrial (re)finishing products, coatings and crop nutritions|
|Revenue||13973 crore (US$2.1 billion) (2012)|
|Profit||837 crore (US$130 million) (2012)|
|Subsidiaries||Tata Chemicals Europe|
Tata Chemicals Limited (TCL) (BSE: 500770) is an Indian global company with interests in chemicals, crop nutrition and consumer products headquartered in Mumbai, India. The company is one of the largest chemical companies in India with significant operations in India and Africa. Tata Chemicals is a subsidiary of Tata Group conglomerate.
- Mithapur (Gujarat)
- Babrala (UP)
- Nanded (Maharashtra)
- Haldia (West Bengal)
- Northwich, Cheshire (United Kingdom)
- East Hanover, New Jersey (United States)
- Magadi (Kenya)
Tata Chemicals has the second largest soda ash production capacity plant in India. This was the second soda ash plant built in India by Shri Kapilram Vakil that started operating in the year 1944. The township Mithapur, derives its name from "Mith" which means salt in Gujarati language.
On March 27, 2008, Tata Chemicals Ltd acquired 100 per cent stake in US-based General Chemical Industrial Products Inc (GCIP) for US$1.05 billion to become the world’s second largest maker of soda ash. With all these acquisitions, combined capacity of production has increased to around 5.17 million tons of soda ash.
In April 2010, Tata Chemicals acquired 25% stake in ammonia-urea fertilizer complex in Gabon for US$290 million. The first phase of the plant will have a full operational capacity of 2.2 billion tons of ammonia and 3.85 billion tons of urea per day.
Research and Development Center
The Research and Development Center Tata Chemicals Innovation Center located at Pune, Maharashtra started operations in 2004. The team of scientists is working in the following areas: Advanced Materials, Green Chemistry, Biochemicals, Metabolites, and Nutraceuticals.
- Chemicals - Soda ash, Sodium Bicarbonate, Caustic soda, Chlorine, Liquid Bromine, Gypsum, Phosphoric acid and Sulphuric acids.
- Fertilisers - Urea, Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STPP), Di-ammonium phosphate (DAP), NPK complexes and single super phosphate (SSP)
- Consumer products - Salt: Tata Salt, I-Shakti, Tata Salt Lite, Tata Salt DFS; Cooking soda : I-Shakti cooking soda
- Biofuels - Bioethanol, Biodiesel
- Fresh produce - Khet-Se
- Cement - Tata Shudh
- Pulses - Tata I-shakti dals
- Water purifier - Tata swach
- "Tata Chemicals working on a green makeover - Corporate News". livemint.com. 2009-09-08. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- BSE 2009-2010 Data
- Br Natarajan. "BITS Pilani and Tata Chemicals Join Hands for HRD". Indiaprwire.com. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "TCL buys 25% stake in urea complex in Africa for $290 mn". 2010-04-11.
- "Tata Chemicals Ltd. (878472): Company Description - BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. 2010-05-24. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Contact us". Tata Chemicals. 2008-11-30. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Tatas acquire General Chemical of US for $1 b". The Hindu Business Line. 2008-02-01. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- [dead link]