Tata Institute of Social Sciences
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (August 2011)|
|Tata Institute of Social Sciences|
|टाटा सामाजिक विज्ञान संस्थान|
|Location||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
Tata Institute of Social Sciences (Hindi: टाटा सामाजिक विज्ञान संस्थान; TISS) is a social sciences institute with its main campus based in Deonar, Mumbai, India. TISS also operates out of campuses in Hyderabad, Guwahati and Tuljapur (in Osmanabad district, Maharashtra).
- 1 History
- 2 List of Schools and Campuses
- 3 TISS Mumbai
- 4 TISS Tuljapur
- 5 TISS Hyderabad
- 6 TISS Guwahati
- 7 Admissions
- 8 Library & research centers
- 9 Major Ongoing Field Action Projects (2012)
- 10 Governance
- 11 Director
- 12 Deputy directors
- 13 Notable past faculty
- 14 Notable alumni
- 15 References
- 16 External links
TISS was established in 1936, as the Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work, the first school of social work in India. It was renamed to its current name in 1944. It was recognized as a Deemed University in 1964  by the University Grants Commission of India.
TISS started out as a small institute offering a post-graduate diploma in Social Work, but has since expanded continuously in terms of educational programmes and infrastructure (see list of programs). The first director of the institute was Dr. Clifford Manshardt, who aimed to establish a post-graduate social work school of national stature that would engage in a continuous study of Indian social issues and create meaningful interventions.
Over the years, the Institute has, among other thrusts, made a significant contribution to policy, planning, action strategies and human resource development. It has done so in several areas, ranging from sustainable rural and urban development to education, health, communal harmony, human rights and industrial relations.
TISS has earned recognition as an institution of repute from different Ministries of the Government of India and various State Governments, as well as international agencies such as the United Nations, and the non-government sector, both national and international.
List of Schools and Campuses
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2013)|
TISS Mumbai has several Schools, Centres with Faculty teaching, researching and publishing. The Schools and Centres are as follows:
- School of Social Work
- School of Management and Labour Studies
- School of Health Systems Studies
- School of Development Studies
- School of Education
- School of Habitat Studies
- Centre for Human Ecology
- School for Media and Cultural Studies
- Centre for Digital Library and Information Sciences
- Jamsetji Tata Centre for Disaster Management
- School of Law,Rights and Constitutional Governance
- School of French Studies
TISS Tuljapur in the Osmanabad district of Maharashtra was set up with support from the Government of Maharashtra in 1986. The campus houses the School of Rural Development with several centres. It is a 100-acre campus located in the outskirts of Tuljapur. The campus has commenced offering the Five Year Integrated Masters programme since 2012. It has a full-fledged computer centre, library, gymnasium, girls and boys hostels, guest-house, faculty and staff quarters.
The initial focus of the Institute on rural development projects and field action has widened to include academic activities with grass root level involvement both by faculty and students in the last 7 years.
TISS Tuljapur offers:
- Integrated B.A & M.A in Social Sciences
- M.A Social Work in Rural Development
- P.G.D in Water and Sanitation Hygiene
Several new academic programmes are being offered from the academic year 2014-15.
TISS Hyderabad came into being with the approval of Academic Council and Governing Board of TISS. The Registrations under Societies Registrations Act and Public Trust Act of the TISS Mumbai are valid for TISS Hyderabad as well. TISS Mumbai provides oversight to matters of admission, instruction, evaluation of TISS Hyderabad and confers TISS degrees. Presently, it operates from two campuses: one in AMR-APARD in Rajendranagar, and the other in Roda Mistry School of Social Work in Gachibowli.
Collaborations and activities
- TISS entered in an MoU with the APARD in 2009 for 3-month certificate course in Rural Development and Decentralised Planning (RD&DP).
- TISS entered in an MoU with Osmania university in 2010 to strengthen social sciences education and strengthen collaborative research.
- TISS entered in an MoU with Azim Premji Foundation since 2011 to facilitate the promotion of initiatives of education and research in all areas of institutional activities.
Academic Programmes TISS Hyderabad offers a number of teaching programmes at master level.
- Masters in Rural Development and Governance
- Masters in Education
- Masters in Public Policy and Governance
- Masters in Women's Studies
- Masters in Development Studies
- Integrated programme of B.A in Social Sciences and M.A of choice
TISS Hyderabad also offers Integrated MPhil & PhD in Women's Studies and Education, and direct PhD in Social Sciences.
It is proposed that TISS Hyderabad campus will run the following programmes in the future:
- Masters in Climate Change and Natural Resources Management
- Masters in Human Resources Management
- Masters in Social Policy and Development
Schools at TISS Hyderabad
TISS Hyderabad accomplished Faculty who are part of the various Schools.
- Azim Premzi School of Education
- School of Livelihoods
- School of Policy and Governance
- School of Social Entrepreneurship
- School of Management And Labour Studies
- School of Public Health
TISS Hyderabad permanent campus
At the invitation of the Government of Andhra Pradesh, TISS accepted to set up a campus in Hyderabad. TISS is in the process of setting up a 100 acres campus in Kothur Mandal, Mahabubnagar district. The campus is slated to be ready by early 2015.
TISS Guwahati has been set up at the behest of the government of Assam and the Ministry of Department of North East Region, Government of India. TISS Guwahati has been contributing to the development sector in the North East through a well-conceived Diploma Programme in Community Organisation and Development Practice since June 2009. Currently, TISS Guwahati is operating out of an interim campus in the heart of the city in Guwahati.
TISS Guwahati has commenced offering the Five Year Integrated Masters programme since 2012 along with two years Masters degree programme in Social Work with various specialisations. Several new academic programmes are being offered beyond the existing programmes from the academic year 2014-15.
The campus space is equipped with a cyber library, conference hall, and classrooms with provisions for video conferencing. Student hostels separately for men and women are available. These are managed and maintained by TISS. A full fledged campus is being established on 15 acres of land located within the Assam Engineering College campus.
For admissions to various programmes for the academic year 2014-15, one may view the admission site https://admissions.tiss.edu/.
Library & research centers
TISS Library established along with the institute way back in 1936, is one of the leading social science libraries in the country. The library was named as "Sir Dorabji Tata Memorial Library" on 3 May 2002 in the memory of late Sir Dorabjii Tata. It is geared to meet the academic and research information needs of the user community. It provides a conducive environment for intellectual enquiry by providing user-focused services to obtain and evaluate scholarly information and knowledge. Since the library specializes in the field of applied social sciences, it has become most sought after library for the social scientists in India. It is a unique Knowledge Centre, which offers essential and specialized information resources and services to meet the growing information needs by; - Developing user-based resources; - Organizing information resources; - Providing human and technologically moderated access to information; and - Facilitating users to identify, locate, obtain and evaluate information. TISS Tuljapur as also well developed library with 21,000 books and many more
Major Ongoing Field Action Projects (2012)
- M-Ward transformation programme
- Towards Advocacy Networking and Developmental Action (TANDA)
- RCI-VAW: The Resource Centre for Interventions on Violence against Women
- Tarasha: A community based project for rehabilitation of women recovering from mental illness
- iCALL: Initiating Concern for All
- Urban India Research Facility
The institute has a Governing Board which acts as the supreme authority in governing the Institute. The Governing Board has members nominated by the Central Government, State Government, the University of Mumbai and the University Grants Commission along with representatives from the institute's faculty. S. Ramadorai, Vice Chairman, TCS and Advisor to the Prime Minister of India, is Chairperson of TISS. The Chairperson of the Governing Board has functions similar to that of the Chancellor of a conventional university. The Academic Council decides matters of academic nature and comprises faculty drawn from the institute's 4 campuses and as well as 6 external experts.
The Director of the Institute acts as both the academic and administrative head. This position is similar to that of the Vice-Chacellor of any University. The current Director of the institute is Prof. S. Parasuraman who has extensive experience in the Development Sector. He has authored three books and more than 50 research articles on various aspects of Development Sector.
TISS Hyderabad is headed by Deputy Director (equivalent to post of pro-vice-chancellor) Prof. Lakshmi Lingam. She has a Masters degree in Sociology from Andhra University and a PhD from IIT Bombay. TISS Guwahati is headed by Prof. Virginius Xaxa. He has a Masters degree from Pune University and PhD from IIT Kanpur, and is a Member of the National Advisory Council. TISS Mumbai has Prof. Neela Dabir as the Deputy Director (Administration). Prof. Dabir has a Masters degree in Social Work from Mumbai University and a PhD from S.N.D.T University, Mumbai.
Notable past faculty
- Dr J. M Kumarappa, Succeeded Dr. Clifford Manshardt as Director of the School of Social Work. A scholar with an M.S and Ph.D. from Harvard and Columbia University, he was later an elected member of the Rajya Sabha.
- Prof. A. R Wadia, An educationist-philanthropist, he was the Director for nine years. Later, a recipient of the Padma Bhusan, he served as a Rajya Sabha member for twelve years
- Prof. M. S Gore, The Director for 20 years, he was responsible for the development of social science research and consolidation of TISS as a deemed University.
- Dr. Behram H. Mehta, A popular and unconventional teacher, he taught Community Organisation and Public Welfare Administration. He took the students to Kurukshetra for post-Partition relief work.
- Dr. Gauri Rani Banerji, The first Head of the Department of Medical and Psychiatric Social Work, with an M.A from Chicago and D. Phil from Allahabad.
- Prof. N. F Kaikobad, A teacher of Community Organisation, he was the first Head of the Department of Urban and Rural Welfare.
- Prof. J. J Panakkal, The first Head of the Department of Criminology and Correctional Administration, he studied criminology in US and was one of the first Indian criminologists.
- Medha Patkar, social activist
- Anu Aga, former Chairman, Thermax
- Purnima Mane, President and CEO, Pathfinder International
- Subhash Mendhapurkar, Social Activist, Himachal Pradesh.
- Sarita Thakore, Ahmedabad.
- "History — Tata Institute of Social Sciences". tiss.edu. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- tiss brochure
- "Organisational Structure — Tata Institute of Social Sciences". Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Profile of Prof. S. Parasuraman". Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "DNA". dnaindia.com.
- "Harmony Org". harmonyindia.org. Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- "Pathfinder International". who.int.
- "UNFPA". who.int.