The Tatkal Scheme is an Indian Railways scheme for journey at very short notices. It was introduced by the then railway minister Nitish Kumar in all form of reserved class in almost all Mail/Express trains in India.
- For passengers who plan their journey at short notice. These tickets can be booked over counter and on the internet.
- Tatkal Booking starts one day in advance (reduced from 2 days) excluding the day of journey e.g. for a journey on 3rd, bookings would open at 10 am on 2nd. However, the day of journey is defined as the day of chart preparation. So if the train starts e.g. on 3rd, and reaches the desired boarding station on 4th, the Tatkal booking will start on 2nd and not 3rd.
- Copy of identity is required to be produced at the time of booking the ticket. However as of February 11, 2011, the passenger will be required to furnish ID in original such as a PAN Card, Passport, Driver's Licence, etc. during the actual journey.
- There will be no separate Tatkal train defined. Non-utilised Tatkal tickets are released to wait-listed passengers. Tickets in this scheme can be cancelled but no refund is made.
- In those trains and in those classes where average utilization of Tatkal accommodation during peak period i.e. April to September is 80% and above, Tatkal charges applicabale during peak period will be charged throughout the year i.e. for both peak and non-peak periods.
Fraud with Neeraj Tatkal Scheme and Prevention Measures
Due to misuse of this scheme, from July 10, 2012 the Ministry of Railways has changed the timings of tatkal bookings from 10 AM IST to 12 AM IST. Besides, tatkal bookings remains closed for agents for initial two hours. No authorised agents, including agents of IRCTC and others, are allowed to book only one tatkal tickets per train per day on internet after 12.00 A.M.
- -Tatkal Scheme Changes
- Railway Ministry Guidelines for New Tatkal Rules November 2011
- Indian Railways - Tatkal Scheme
- "Tatkal ticket holders will now have to carry ID proof". The Times of India. 2011-01-31. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "New scheme for booking of Tatkal tickets comes into effect". 10 July 2012.
- "CAG finds manipulations in Tatkal ticket bookings". Zee News (New Delhi). August 6, 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "IndiaBreaking News:Railways plans dedicated counters for tatkal tickets". 29 June 2012.