Shown within Somerset
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||South West England|
|Created||1 April 1974|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district|
|• Leader||John Williams|
|• Council||Conservative / Liberal Democrat|
|• MPs:||Jeremy Browne LD|
|• Total||178.87 sq mi (463.26 km2)|
|Population (2011 est.)|
|• Total||110,600 (Ranked 205th)|
|Time zone||GMT (UTC0)|
|• Summer (DST)||BST (UTC+1)|
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, by a merger of the Municipal Borough of Taunton, Wellington Urban District, Taunton Rural District, and Wellington Rural District.
The district was given the name of an alternate form of the Taunton Deane Hundred.
- Ash Priors - Ashbrittle
- Bathealton - Bickenhall - Bishop's Hull - Bishops Lydeard - Bradford on Tone - Burrowbridge
- Cheddon Fitzpaine - Chipstable - Churchstanton - Combe Florey - Comeytrowe - Corfe - Cotford St Luke - Cothelstone - Creech St Michael - Curland
- Halse - Hatch Beauchamp
- Kingston St Mary
- Langford Budville - Lydeard St Lawrence
- North Curry - Norton Fitzwarren - Nynehead
- Oake - Orchard Portman - Otterford
- Sampford Arundel - Staple Fitzpaine - Staplegrove - Stawley - Stoke St Gregory - Stoke St Mary
- Taunton - Thornfalcon - Tolland - Trull
- Wellington - West Bagborough - West Buckland - West Monkton - Wiveliscombe
Part of the former Taunton Municipal Borough is unparished.
|UK Census 2001||Taunton Deane||South West England||England|
|Over 75 years old||9.5%||9.3%||7.5%|
The town of Taunton (which for population estimates includes the unparished area - or former municipal borough - plus the neighbouring parishes of Bishop's Hull, Comeytrowe, Norton Fitzwarren, Staplegrove, Trull and West Monkton) had an estimated population of 61,400 in 2001.
The figures below are for the Taunton Deane area.
|Population since 1801 - Source: A Vision of Britain through Time|
|Population Taunton Deane||33,139||51,844||53,759||55,666||56,161||56,661||62,745||69,492||75,320||81,639||84,795||95,791||102,304|
For a full list of schools see: List of schools in Somerset
- "About the Mayor". Taunton Deane Borough Council. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Statistics for Wards, LSOAs and Parishes — SUMMARY Profiles" (Excel). Somerset Intelligence. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Wellington RD". A vision of Britain Through Time. University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Taunton RD". A vision of Britain Through Time. University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Wellington UD". A vision of Britain Through Time. University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- United Kingdom Census 2001 (2001). "Key Figures for 2001 Census: Census Area Statistics: Area: Bath and North East Somerset". statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- "Mid Year Population Estimates for Towns". Somerset County Council. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "Population Summary". Somerset County Council. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "Taunton Deane: Total Population". A Vision of Britain Through Time. Great Britain Historical GIS Project. Retrieved 2008-01-19.