Tax shift or Tax swap is a change in taxation that eliminates or reduces one or several taxes and establishes or increases others while keeping the overall revenue the same. The term can refer to desired shifts, such as towards Pigovian taxes (typically sin taxes and ecotaxes) as well as (perceived or real) undesired shifts, such as a shift from multi-state corporations to small businesses and families.
The following table lists tax shifts that have been proposed or introduced:
|Name, location, proponent, source||From||To||Claimed benefits|
|Green tax shift (see ecotax)||various||ecotax||environment|
|Tax Shift for the Pacific Northwest (Durning & Bauman 1998)||personal, corporate income tax, payroll tax, property tax, sales tax||carbon tax, pollution tax, traffic tax, sprawl tax (Land value tax), resource consumption tax||environment; public health; reduction of gridlock; countering
speculation; equity; administrative ease
|Property tax shift (PTS)||sales, income, and buildings||Land value tax||housing supply; sprawl; equity|
|Philadelphians for Land Value Tax Shift||tax rates on structures||land-value tax||economic development, countering speculation|
|Illinois||property tax||individual and corporate income tax||extra unearned income for landowners|
|Grocery or food tax||cigarette tax||public health; support for basic needs|
|Wyoming Tax Swap||sales tax, use tax, and business personal property tax||flat income tax|
|FairTax||personal income tax, payroll tax, corporate tax, capital gains tax, self-employment tax, gift tax, estate tax||national retail sales tax with rebate||provide tax burden visibility; reduce compliance costs; global competitiveness|
Tax swap can also refer to the sale of a security that has declined in price since its purchase and the simultaneous purchase of a similar but not identical security, in order to realize a loss for tax purposes while maintaining a position.
- "Will Canadians support this kind of change?". Sustainable Prosperity FAQs. Sustainable Prosperity.
- Leachman, Michael (2006-04-14). "The Great Corporate Tax Shift: Undercutting Oregon’s Economy and Quality of Life".
- Smith, Jeffery J.; Kris Nelson (December 1999). "Giving Life to the Property Tax Shift (PTS)". Redefining Progress.
- "Philadelphians for Land Value Tax Shift". Earth Rights Institute.
- Clements, Kate (2006-08-29). "Frerichs backs tax swap plan". The News-Gazette.
- "Title unknown". 2006-03-29.
- "Title unknown". 2006-10-18.
- "We did it! First-ever cut in state food tax passes!!!". Tennesseans for Fair Taxation. 2007-06-12.
- Glass, Brett. "The "Wyoming Tax Swap"".
- "tax swap Definition". InvestorWords. WebFinance, Inc.
- Durning, Alan Thein; Yoram Bauman (1998). Tax Shift. Seattle, Washington: Northwest Environment Watch. ISBN 1-886093-07-5.
- A Distributional Analysis of an Environmental Tax Shift
- Tax Cuts vs. Tax Shifts
- Making an Energy Tax Work for Business (in the UK)
- Sharing the Wealth (a web site opposing what they perceive as a tax shift)
|This tax-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|