The name Taylor comes from those who used to hold the occupation of tailor, as seen above.
|Region of origin||England, Scotland|
|Related names||Portnov, Schneider, Szabó, Sastre, Tyler, Cameron |
Taylor (\ta(y)-lor\) is a surname in the English language which originated as an occupational surname (meaning tailor) in England and Scotland. It is derived from the Old French tailleur ("cutter"), which is in turn derived from the Late Latin taliator, from taliare ("to cut"). The first historical evidence of the surname dates to the County of Somerset, South West England in 1182, and the first mention in Scottish records to circa 1276. According to the UK National Trust surname profiler, Taylor is the fifth most common surname in the United Kingdom. It is also common in other English speaking countries (especially Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States, where it was the tenth most frequently encountered surname in the 2000 US Census), but has a low incidence in Ireland, where it is mostly concentrated in the North.
People with the surname 
See also 
- Clan Taylor Archived 8 August 2011 at WebCite
- Taylor: British surnames, Origin and Classification. Britishsurnames.co.uk. Retrieved on 2011-08-10.
- Tailor at Oxford Dictionaries
- "Learn about the family history of your surname". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 14 October 2010. which cited Dictionary of American Family Names. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-508137-4. for the surname "Taylor".
- Cottle, Basil (1967). Penguin Dictionary of Surnames. Baltimore, MDISBN:: Penguin Books. ISBN 978-0-14-051032-4.
- "Surname: Taylor". surnamedb.com. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- TAYLOR: Surname Origin and Classification | British Surnames, Surname Distribution and Surname Profiles. Britishsurnames.co.uk. Retrieved on 2011-08-10.
- Taylor: British surnames, surname distribution and surname. Britishsurnames.co.uk. Retrieved on 2011-08-10.
- United States Census Bureau (9 May 1995). s:2000 Census Name Files dist.all.last (1-100). Retrieved on 10-5-2010.
- National Trust Names. National Trust Names. Retrieved on 2011-08-10.
- [dead link]