Taylor County, Florida
|Taylor County, Florida|
Taylor County Courthouse
Location in the state of Florida
Florida's location in the U.S.
|Founded||December 23, 1856|
|Named for||Zachary Taylor|
|• Total||1,232.01 sq mi (3,191 km2)|
|• Land||1,041.91 sq mi (2,699 km2)|
|• Water||190.10 sq mi (492 km2), 15.43%|
|• Density||22/sq mi (8.36/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Education
- 5 Library
- 6 Municipalities
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 1,232.01 square miles (3,190.9 km2), of which 1,041.91 square miles (2,698.5 km2) (or 84.57%) is land and 190.10 square miles (492.4 km2) (or 15.43%) is water.
- Jefferson County, Florida - northwest
- Madison County, Florida - north
- Lafayette County, Florida - east
- Dixie County, Florida - southeast
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 19,256 people, 7,176 households, and 5,130 families residing in the county. The population density was 18 people per square mile (7/km²). There were 9,646 housing units at an average density of 9 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 77.84% White, 19.04% Black or African American, 0.98% Native American, 0.44% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.32% from other races, and 1.38% from two or more races. 1.53% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,176 households out of which 31.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.50% were married couples living together, 14.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.50% were non-families. 24.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.60% under the age of 18, 8.20% from 18 to 24, 28.30% from 25 to 44, 24.80% from 45 to 64, and 14.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 104.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,032, and the median income for a family was $35,061. Males had a median income of $27,967 versus $19,054 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,281. About 14.50% of families and 18.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.20% of those under age 18 and 17.90% of those age 65 or over.
Students are served by the Taylor County School System. For the 2006 - 2007 school year the Florida Department of Education gave the District a "B" grade with three of its schools earning an "A" and one school earning a "B" grade. District Website
Taylor County High School has a marching band and a concert band. The band is under the direction of Stewert Schlazer.
Taylor County High School also has an Army JROTC unit which has been an Honor Unit with Distinction for 27 consecutive years. 
The Taylor County Public Library is part of the Three Rivers Regional Library System, which also serves Gilchrist, Lafayette, and Dixie counties. It is located at 403 N Washington Street, Perry, FL 32347. The branch is open Monday-Thursday 9am-7pm, Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 10am-2pm.
- City of Perry
- Bucell Junction
- Clara (shared with Dixie County)
- Dekle Beach
- Fish Creek
- Hampton Springs
- Keaton Beach
- Lake Bird
- Shady Grove
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taylor County, Florida.|
- Taylor County Board of County Commissioners
- Taylor County Supervisor of Elections
- Taylor County Property Appraiser
- Taylor County Sheriff's Office
- Taylor County Tax Collector
- Taylor County Public Library
- Taylor County Clerk of Courts
- Public Defender, 3rd Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Columbia, Dixie, Hamilton, Lafayette, Madison, Suwannee, and Taylor Counties
- Office of the State Attorney, 3rd Judicial Circuit of Florida
- Circuit and County Court for the 3rd Judicial Circuit of Florida
||Jefferson County||Madison County|
|Gulf of Mexico||Dixie County|