Taylor Hayes (The Bold and the Beautiful)
Hunter Tylo as Taylor Hayes
|The Bold and the Beautiful character|
|Portrayed by||Hunter Tylo (1990–2002, 2004–14)
Sherilyn Wolter (1990)
|First appearance||June 6, 1990|
|Last appearance||November 24, 2014|
|Introduced by||William J. Bell (1990)
Bradley Bell (2004)
|Book appearances||Collision Course (2013)
Heart’s Desire (2014)
|Aliases||Princess Laila Rashid|
|Occupation||Psychiatrist, oncologist, businesswoman|
Dr. Taylor Hayes, M.D. is a fictional character from the American CBS soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful, portrayed by Hunter Tylo. The character was created by William J. Bell to facilitate social issues and act as a romantic lead, first appearing during the episode dated June 6, 1990. Taylor is a Los Angeles-based psychiatrist, who is described as sophisticated and intelligent, whilst also being unlucky in love. The character soon became known for her relationship with Ridge Forrester and rivalry with his ex-lover Brooke Logan, which triggered an infamous love triangle. Taylor married Ridge but was subsequently believed to be dead after a plane crash, only to return months later after Ridge had reunited with Brooke. In 1996, Taylor exited the series for the first time following Tylo's decision to quit, before returning months later. Ridge and Taylor's marriage concluded, though they were remarried after the birth of their son Thomas; the couple's marriage produced twin daughters Steffy and Phoebe shortly after. Following producer Bradley Bell's decision to kill off the character, Tylo departed the soap opera once more in October 2002.
A year after appearing as a ghost, Taylor was revealed to be alive and returned in April 2005. In the years that ensued, Taylor reunited with Ridge multiple times, and became involved with his brother Thorne after accidentally causing the death of his wife in a hit and run accident. The character also experienced short-live marriages to Nick Marone and Whip Jones. After unsuccessful negotiations with The Bold and the Beautiful, Tylo exited the series for a third time, with Taylor last appearing as a regular character in July 2013. The actress has since returned for a number of guest appearances in 2014.
The supercouple pairing of Ridge and Taylor and the two-decade-long love triangle between Ridge, Brooke and Taylor—which was recognized by Soap Opera Digest as one of the best love triangles of the genre—became popular with viewers. Taylor's rivalry with Brooke has also been an ongoing staple on the show for the past twenty years. SoapNet calls Taylor the "polar opposite" of Brooke, with Tommy Garret of Canyon News recognizing them as the queens of cat-fights.
William J. Bell introduced the role of psychiatrist Taylor Ashford Hamilton in 1990, three years after the show began. According to Michael Maloney of Variety, Bell created her "not only as a romantic leading lady but also as a character who could facilitate social issues—and directly partake in a few, too." Initially her maiden name was Ashford; the character was eventually renamed to Taylor Hamilton Hayes. Hunter Tylo was cast as Taylor, and first appeared as the character on Jun 6, 1990. Tylo was fired from All My Children after a three-year run, on the grounds of dating a co-star, Michael Tylo. She was also fired from Days of our Lives where she had played Marina Toscano from 1988–89. While working on All My Children, she was credited as Deborah Morehart, before she married Tylo. Sherilyn Wolter briefly replaced Tylo for a small amount of time in 1990.
Tylo almost left the series in 1996. Later that year, she left the show to pursue a primetime role on the Fox television drama series Melrose Place. Her last air date was in May 1996. However, she was controversially dismissed because she was pregnant. In response, Tylo sued Aaron Spelling— the executive producer of Melrose Place—and Spelling Productions for millions of US dollars. Her role was then taken by Lisa Rinna. Tylo won her case. That July, it was announced that Tylo was to return to The Bold and the Beautiful. The show's head writer and executive producer Bradley Bell issued the following statement: "I am certain that Hunter's talent and ability will continue to be an asset to the show".
Taylor is a "psychiatrist whose life has been intertwined with the lives and loves of the Forrester and the Marone families". SoapNet said she is "just looking for love in all the wrong places—and has certainly suffered for it". Like Brooke, she "considers Ridge the love of her life. Unlike Brooke, she's had three kids with the guy." Although she is a psychiatrist, Taylor has been questioned. In 2000, Ridge is being tricked into a relationship with his mentally unstable high school lover Morgan DeWitt (Sarah Buxton). Morgan becomes pregnant with Ridge's child. When asked how Taylor is going to discover the truth about the pregnancy, Tylo stated: "I just wish that Taylor would get a clue, period! I wish that her psychiatric expertise would kick in already. I mean, she's retarded!", saying that the character can be absentminded. In the same interview, Tylo said, "I think [Taylor] got her degree out of a Cracker Jack box or something. Because, you know—I keep saying to the producer and the directors, you know, she is a psychiatrist, don't you think maybe she has a clue?"
Taylor often loses out to Brooke, as Thorne (Ridge's brother) loses out to Ridge. When asked in 2011 where she would like her storyline to go, Tylo said: "I think we should see Thorne and Taylor get strong and stand up to these people who mowed them down." Tylo said her favorite scene was a mud fight with Brooke Logan (Katherine Kelly Lang) in 2009. Taylor appeared on the Spartanburg Herald-Journal in an article titled "Stars with 9 Lives: Death Is not forever in Soaps" after her airplane crash in 1994 resulted in her assumed death. Taylor returns later to find out her husband Ridge has married his former flame (Brooke). In March 2012, Tylo said that Taylor is finally learning to pursue what she wants instead of always putting others first. She said, "In psychology, they tell you to be true to yourself. Maybe she is finally doing that, even though in her moral compass she knows that it is better to put other people first. She has been going after what she wants instead. It is a very good growing place for Taylor to go back to reality and realize that she is not perfect and that she needs to try not looking so perfect so much."
Relationship with Ridge
Most of Taylor's romantic history is about her relationship with Ridge Forrester (Ron Moss). They met in 1990 when Taylor was treating his dying wife Caroline Spencer (Joanna Johnson), and they fell in love shortly afterwards. However, there were several obstacles to their romance, including Brooke Logan (Katherine Kelly Lang)—Ridge's former love who was still in love with him—and Taylor's ex-husband Blake Hayes (Peter Brown). Blake and Brooke conspire to keep Taylor and Ridge apart. At one point Taylor dumps Ridge, but he proposes to her and they become engaged.
In July 1991, John Goudas from The Gadsden Times wrote, "Take this summer's love triangle between Ridge, Brooke and Dr. Taylor Hayes. Is Ridge just playing with Taylor, or does he mean it when he tells Brooke that he and Taylor will be married?" Goudas described Taylor as being "no-nonsense" with Ridge, writing: ""newcomer Hunter Tylo, new since June 90' as [Taylor] Is the odd women out in the bunch, bucking a close knit trio. Taylor is a beauty and strong enough to make her own demands on Ridge. There is no doubt she is hooked by Ridge, But Taylor won't marry unless he promises to never leave her for Brooke. That kind of promise is for the birds, but Taylor wants insurance." Goudas noted Taylor to be "upfront" and have brains and discipline, which was the "polar opposite" to Brooke's qualities.
Despite the inconveniences, Taylor and Ridge marry in 1992. Taylor and Ridge's wedding was ranked at number 18 on The Huffington Post's "Top 20 Most Memorable Soap Weddings of All Time". Writing for the online blog, Michael Maloney noted that the actors were under pressure, as Taylor and Ridge's wedding was shot on the day of the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles. They are popularly referred to by the portmanteau "Tridge" in social media. The love triangle between Brooke, Ridge and Taylor is widely famed, and from the early nineties has been considered one of the genre's greatest love triangles to date.
Ridge is believed to be Brooke's daughter Bridget Forrester's father in her first years, but in March 1996 it eventuates that Bridget's biological father is Eric. Taylor's airplane crashes and she is presumed dead; Ridge moves on with Brooke. However, Taylor returns after she is kidnapped by Prince Omar. They divorced in 1995. They have sex and Taylor gave birth to a son, Thomas. However, when she sees him with Brooke, she tells everyone Thorne is Thomas' father. During this time, Brooke supposedly has a miscarriage and knows about Thomas' paternity; scheming to keep it from Ridge. When Ridge discovers he is Thomas' father, he is angry at Taylor and Brooke. He accuses Brooke of faking her pregnancy and miscarriage to keep him, while ignoring Taylor for not telling him about that he has a son. He left Brooke and they reunited, remarrying in 1998. Taylor is presumed dead in 2002, and Ridge returns to Brooke the following year. In 2004, Taylor's ghost visits Ridge and tells him that she is happy that he is with Brooke and they watch their children together. Taylor and Ridge renew their vows in 2005, but their marriage is annulled a year later. They reunite briefly in 2009 and 2011. Jamey Giddens of Zap2It stated that Steffy and Thomas "grew up watching their daddy basically climb out of their mom's bed and right into the sack with Rick (Jacob Young) and Hope's (Kimberly Matula) mom, over and over again."
In July 1999, Taylor is pregnant for the second time. During her pregnancy, Taylor interacts with a man who has tuberculosis and coughs on her. She worries that her babies might be affected by this. She is alarmed to find that the man has died, and has a coughing spell herself. Eventually, Taylor is tested and diagnosed with tuberculosis and she endures a high-risk pregnancy. SoapNet wrote, "Thanks to Taylor’s battle with TB during her pregnancy, tough times started early for Steffy and her twin sister Phoebe." Taylor refuses medication for her condition, wanting to protect her unborn babies. Tylo said, "It was a great way to bring awareness about the disease and the threat it poses to pregnant women". Taylor's heart stops beating shortly after the twins are born, but she survives.
Departure and return
In October 2002, head-writer Bradley Bell decided to kill off Taylor, and Tylo was to leave The Bold and the Beautiful. In a statement on her website, Tylo wrote, "It is with great sadness I have to tell you that Brad has decided to kill off the character Taylor. He feels the character is too good and has too much integrity to take her down other paths—in a word played out." Her last appearance was on Oct 30, 2002. In March 2004, Tylo made a guest appearance as Taylor's ghost to meet up with her husband Ridge, Brooke and others. In 2005, Deanna Barnert of Soap Opera Digest wrote that an industry insider had said that a character "may come back from the world beyond", and fans speculated that either Macy or Taylor would return. Tylo was said to be "having fun surprising her castmates" with her reappearance on set.
Taylor has been involved with Ridge's half-brother Thorne (Winsor Harmon). Their affair begins in 1998 when she nearly tried to lie that Thomas was Thorne's son, and she would raise him with Thorne. They become involved in 2006, however Taylor hides from Thorne that she accidentally killed his wife Darla Forrester (Schae Harrison). Taylor is exonerated when an eyewitness account proves that Darla's death was an accident. Thorne ends the relationship because his daughter Alexandria Forrester (Harley Graham) begins to resent Taylor. Of working with Tylo, Harmon said, "I am so comfortable with Hunter. We have that [comfort] around each other, and when that happens as an artist, you are allowed to open up more and there is more spontaneity."
After her relationship with Ridge ends, Taylor befriends and marries Nick Marone (Jack Wagner) in 2007. Their relationship is ruined because Brooke is the biological mother of their child, Jack Marone, through egg donation. Following this, she becomes involved with Brooke's son Rick Forrester (Kyle Lowder), who is many years younger than her. The relationship infuriates Brooke, who is concerned about Rick's heart being broken, and Ridge's jealousy. Taylor and Rick eventually get engaged. During an interview with Michael Fairman of On-Air On-Soaps, Tylo said, "You could be 30 and dating 20-year-olds, as long as you are over 18, that’s what is important. When I got my divorce, my husband, Michael Tylo, was 15 years older than me". Tylo said she enjoyed working with Lowder on the storyline, saying, "Kyle is adorable! I drew on those same feelings that unexpectedly happen when I was running lines with my acting friend, and it was very cool, because I do see that in Kyle, too."
Taylor becomes involved with Whipple Jones III (Rick Hearst) whom she meets through internet dating, in July 2009. Tommy Garret of Canyon News said that Whipple and Taylor's "chemistry is magnificent". Whipple was previously involved with Brooke; Garret wrote: "Now he's in love with Brooke's mortal enemy Taylor Hayes Forrester... Hearst is magnificently suited for the role and fans want to see Whip and Taylor find happiness. At least for a few months." Of their romance, Tylo said: "I think Taylor has found true love with Whip. I think if she was a smart psychiatrist, and able to apply her knowledge in her own world, she would be with Whip. She would know this is a healthy relationship. But Taylor doesn’t see it. She still wants to fix people." Taylor and Whipple marry on Apr 1, 2010. Whip becomes jealous when Taylor admits to Stephanie that she still has feelings for Ridge. Whipple's increasing jealousy of Taylor's feelings for Ridge leads to the demise of their relationship the following year, and they divorce. During their short run, fans referred to the couple as "Tip".
In 2011, Taylor reunites with Thorne and they team up against the Forresters for mistreating them. Tylo said: "[Taylor] probably equally feels that Thorne deserves to have a shot at Forrester in the driver’s seat. Taylor does not like the way Brooke has been running everything through Ridge." However, Tylo said there was a "sticky point" between them because Taylor killed Darla. Speaking of this, Tylo said: "Taylor has a little guilt, but she would do anything to make up for that. I mean, Thorne was even there with her when he helped get her to AA. Thorne was really forgiving and loving. So she knows that Thorne has a really good heart, and that he has been pushed to the wayside and neglected. I want to believe that Taylor, as a psychiatrist, would understand how sad of a life that it is ... that this young man who always grew up in the shadow of Ridge, is always getting the seconds, and how that must feel for him." Harmon said that Thorne forgives Taylor because he has forgiven people his whole life. Taylor and Thorne kiss at the Forrester Creations Fashion House, while Ridge—who is shocked—is present. Of this, Harmon said, "At that moment, [Ridge] just did this look and said this line that was hilarious. I seriously almost started laughing when I was in the middle of the scene." Michael Fairman called them "the screwed-over couple of B&B".
Rivalry with Brooke
Taylor and Brooke (Katherine Kelly Lang) have been enemies since 1990, having "fought over the affections of fickle fashion designer Ridge Forrester" according to Jamey Giddens of Daytime Confidential. The rivalry between Brooke and Taylor has not concluded. Taylor becomes pregnant with Nick's child through IVF, having been implanted with a donor's egg, which because of a mistake Bridget makes in the lab, Brooke donated. Thus, Brooke is Jack Marone's biological mother. Brooke saves the baby's life when he needs a bone marrow transplant. After this, Taylor fears her baby will be drawn to Brooke while growing up. Taylor finds bonding with her baby difficult and began drinking again. Taylor's instability leads to her losing custody of Jack. Michael Fairman said that her loss of custody occurred around the time which Tylo had lost a son in real life. Tylo said: "I did get a lot of emails from people worrying. They would go from worrying about me to saying, “Was I okay with those scenes and after them?” They would say, “You know it’s so weird, that the storyline is mirroring Hunter Tylo’s life!" In the same interview, Tylo said that she tapped into her own tragedy for her portrayal. She said: "Well, because of the acting technique I use when I did those scenes, I had to go back and allow my self to feel what I feel all the time. It’s the feeling that will never go away which is, 'It’s not fair,' and that line I added. Once I added it and we did the rehearsal, I thought, 'I am going to say this, because that is how I feel!' After that, it just kept coming out."
The feud over Jack intensifies Taylor and Brooke's decade-long rivalry. Darren Lomas of Daytime Confidential said, "As any fan of The Bold and the Beautiful knows, the Taylor and Brooke wars have lasted for nearly two decades. Even when Taylor was taking thought to be dead, fan message boards still buzzed with Taylor and Brooke fans taking swipes at each other". Zap2It ran a poll with four options: "Taylor ends up with Rick", "Taylor ends up with Ridge and Nick ends up with Brooke" among others. The option of Brooke and Nick raising Jack together while Taylor reunites with Ridge was the most popular, with forty-eight per cent of reader's votes. In 2010, Lang and Tylo recreated the 1983 lily-pond cat-fight between Krystle Carrington and Alexis Colby in Dynasty, shooting the scenes in the CBS Studio TV City koi carp pond. Tommy Garret called them the queens of soap opera cat-fights. Unlike the original 1983 Dynasty cat-fight, Tylo and Lang acted the scenes themselves.
On May 15, 2013, Tylo announced on social media that she was exiting The Bold and the Beautiful, possibly for good. Following this, the actress stated in a post on her website, "For me, contract talks ended 4 weeks ago. I am moving forward and opening back up to the thousands of acting roles available, writing, and persuing my skin care line. My friends and B&B fans will be sorely missed." Tylo's final appearance aired on her birthday: July 3, 2013. Dan J. Kroll of the website Soap Central was shocked by her exit, though felt that a future return was possible, judging from her previous departures. The news of Tylo's third exit came just months after the high-profile departures of Ronn Moss as Ridge and Susan Flannery as Stephanie. Tylo has since returned to The Bold and the Beautiful for a number of guest appearances. She made a one-episode appearance which aired on February 28, 2014. The actress then made several guest appearances in April and May 2014, for a story arc which revisited Taylor's accidental killing of Darla years earlier, with Darla's now teen daughter Aly (Ashlyn Pearce) struggling to deal with the issue of her mother's death. Tylo returned for another appearance on November 5, 2014.
Taylor had a play-relationship with Storm Logan when they attended high school together; this is shown in one of Taylor's first episodes. Taylor and Storm meet in a café after many years. They show a small interest in each other, but Taylor is involved with Ridge. Taylor's father is Jack Hamilton (Chris Robinson), who was first seen at Taylor's 1992 wedding to Ridge. Storm is very protective of Taylor. Her mother is Sharon Ashford Hamilton, of whom little is known. Tylo said she wanted to have a storyline involving her mother, which was impossible because of Hamilton's death. Taylor was in an abusive relationship with Blake Hayes (Peter Brown).
Taylor begins counseling Ridge Forrester (Ronn Moss) and Caroline Spencer Forrester (Joanna Johnson) after Caroline is diagnosed with leukemia. Shortly after Caroline's death, instead of going back to Brooke Logan (Katherine Kelly Lang)—his on-and-off lover—Ridge takes interest in Taylor. Taylor briefly dates Storm Logan (Brian Patrick Clarke), an old school friend. Storm proposes to Taylor at Christmas in 1990, but she refuses. However, Taylor and Ridge commit to a relationship. Taylor begins a close friendship with Stephanie Forrester (Susan Flannery), Ridge's protective mother. Their relationship faces minor problems such as Taylor's ex-husband Blake Hayes (Peter Brown), who tries to win back Taylor. Taylor and Ridge break up when Taylor believes Ridge wants Brooke. She leaves town for St. Thomas Island but Ridge tracks her down and they engage and marry shortly after, despite Taylor mistakenly thinking that Ridge fathered Brooke's daughter Bridget Forrester (Agnes Bruckner).
While trapped and suffering hypothermia, Taylor sleeps with her virgin mentor from medical school James Warwick (Ian Buchanan). To prevent living with guilt, Taylor writes a note to Ridge detailing her infidelity. After Taylor leaves for a work trip, her airplane crashes and she is presumed dead. Stephanie disposes of the note so no-one will know Taylor's secret. Ridge goes back to Brooke. Taylor is found to be alive and suffering from amnesia, having been rescued by Prince Omar Rashid (Kabir Bedi) in Morocco. Taylor regains her memory and returns to California. She leaves but returns when her father has a heart attack. Taylor's friends and family learn she is alive, and Ridge—now married to Brooke—must choose between the two women. Taylor had a brief love affair with Ridge's father Eric Forrester (John McCook), but ended it because of her friendship with Stephanie.
Taylor discovers she is pregnant with Ridge's child, but mistakenly believes that Ridge wants to be with Brooke and allows Ridge's half-brother Thorne Forrester (Winsor Harmon) to claim instead that he is the father. When Taylor gives birth to Thomas Forrester, Ridge discovers the truth and he and Taylor marry again. The following year, Taylor becomes pregnant with twins but the pregnancy is threatened when she contracts tuberculosis. As antibiotics could adversely affect the babies, she declines treatment and gives birth to Steffy and Phoebe before recovering. Ridge's ex Morgan DeWitt (Sarah Buxton) interferes with Taylor's family life by getting herself impregnated with Ridge's child. During a fight with Taylor, Morgan falls off a balcony at their Bel Air mansion and the baby dies. During a family vacation, Morgan kidnaps Steffy. Seeking revenge, she changes Steffy's name to Stacy and leads the Forresters to believe that Steffy died during the vacation. The truth is revealed and Morgan is jailed for her crimes after kidnapping both Steffy and Taylor.
In 2002, Taylor befriends her sister-in-law Amber Forrester (Adrienne Frantz) and moves Amber into her home and helps her fight an addiction to painkillers. Previously incarcerated Sheila Carter (Kimberlin Brown)—by now criminally insane—kidnaps Amber who foils one of her many plots against the Forrester family. When Taylor discovers that Shelia is free, she tries to warn Eric, and during a struggle Taylor is shot by Sheila while shielding Brooke. After surviving emergency surgery, Taylor dies from her wounds in Ridge's arms.
Taylor reappears in May 2005 during the first marriage ceremony for Bridget Forrester (Ashley Jones) and Nick Marone (Jack Wagner). She was kidnapped by Prince Omar. Taylor learns that Brooke and Ridge are married and have a child. Ridge cannot decide between the two women, and picks Taylor after Stephanie fakes a heart attack and convinces Taylor and Ridge to marry. Stephanie's lie is revealed and Taylor begins to doubt her marriage and while Ridge is away she kisses Hector Ramirez (Lorenzo Lamas). Taylor decides to be honest about her mistakes and tells Ridge about the kiss and that she slept with James years ago; their marriage ends. Taylor becomes an alcoholic and suffers depression. Trying to save her stranded daughter, Taylor accidentally runs over Thorne's wife Darla Forrester (Schae Harrison) who is helping Phoebe. Darla dies from her injuries. Taylor begins to bond with Thorne and his daughter Alexandria and she begins a relationship with him. When Taylor tells Thorne the truth she is arrested but is freed later because Darla's death was accidental.
Taylor begins a relationship with sailor Nick Marone; they marry and explore IVF. Using a donor's eggs, Taylor becomes pregnant and gives birth prematurely. When bone marrow is needed to save the child, Bridget reveals that because of a medical mistake Brooke—Nick's ex-wife—is the biological mother of Jack, Taylor's baby. Taylor has to overcome depression and regain custody of Jack, then decides to share him with Brooke. The much younger Rick Forrester (Kyle Lowder) and Taylor begin a relationship. They are engaged, but Taylor leaves him because she is still in love with Ridge. Rick attacks Ridge and they fight. Rick falls from the roof of Forrester Creations. Taylor's daughter Phoebe returns to town and is angered by Rick and Taylor's relationship. While arguing with Rick, Phoebe has a car accident and dies. Taylor blames herself, and later Steffy (Jacqueline MacInnes Wood) takes an interest in Rick and they engage. Once Brooke (Rick's mother) accepted this, Ridge leaves town with Taylor and takes Steffy with them to protect her because someone is trying to kill Rick. Ridge and Taylor later have sex after Ridge takes pills for his anxiety and overdoses. He leaves Brooke and marries Taylor, but returns to Brooke. Taylor starts a relationship with Whipple Jones III (Rick Hearst) and they marry.
Taylor signs over her shares in Forrester Creations to Steffy, who has been fired from it. Taylor is furious when her son kisses Brooke on a fashion catwalk. Brooke and Thomas are caught in a jet crash and are stranded on an island but return home safely. To give Ridge and Taylor another chance at love, Stephanie convinces Thomas to tell everyone that he and Brooke had sex on the island. They go ahead with a lie and Ridge returns to Taylor because of this, however before they marry the truth was revealed. Taylor later begins romancing Thorne. Taylor moves out of the Bel Air mansion when Bill Spencer (Don Diamont) buys it from her, and she moves into the beach house. Taylor is currently working as doctor to his wife, Katie Logan Spencer (Heather Tom) who is suffering from depression following the birth of her child and had a near-death experience. Taylor said goodbye to her best friend Stephanie, who died from lung cancer. Taylor discovers that while Katie was depressed and hiding away from Bill, he nearly became romantically involved with Brooke. Taylor's ongoing rivalry with Brooke intensifies when Brooke's daughter Hope plans to take back Steffy's boyfriend Liam Spencer (Scott Clifton), while Steffy is out of town and pregnant. Thomas loses the top position at Forrester Creations to Rick. Taylor becomes overwhelmed when Thomas decided to leave, and persuades Eric to help Thomas. Eric then promotes Thomas at Forrester and Taylor thanks him with a kiss.
Taylor and Eric grow closer, and soon begin a romantic relationship months after Stephanie's death. Eric tells Brooke that he loves Taylor. While her children were happy for her, Brooke was enraged, accusing Taylor of using her new-found power to influence Eric's decisions at Forrester. When Taylor moves into Eric's bedroom at the Forrester mansion, Brooke is determined to stop her. For the first time in years, Taylor is happy with her life as Steffy is married to Liam and Thomas is doing well at Forrester. When family and friends gather at Bill and Katie's home to honor Brooke's birthday, Taylor disrupts it, saying that Brooke had an affair with Bill. Taylor and Eric encounter problems in their blissful relationship over his keeping Brooke's secret. Taylor defines the difference between her and Brooke and walks out. Taylor returned to Los Angeles on several occasions the following year; she also resumed her relationship with Thorne while living in France.
After about a year Taylor communicates to Eric, during a visit to Los Angeles, that the relationship between her and Thorne is terminated because of problems.
Tommy Garret of Canyon News said Taylor is the "epitome of grace and dignity". In another article, Garret praised Tylo's versatile performance. Garret also said that half of the show's fans have supported Taylor in the love triangle since her debut on the series, stating, "Brooke and Ridge have a rich and sensual back story that helped build the famed B&B history. But Taylor also is a confident woman who knows that she’s best for Ridge and so does at least half of the show’s fans." John Goudas of The Gadsden Times praised the Taylor for her no-nonsense attitude towards Ridge, and wrote that she had beauty as well as brains.
A writer from SoapNet said she the opposite of Brooke and wrote, "Taylor is less likely to use sex for selfish purposes." Debashine Thangevelo of Independent Online (South Africa) said, "Tylo is an actress who wields as much influence in the world of soaps as Taylor Hayes in SABC1’s The Bold and the Beautiful. Having inhabited this role for almost two decades, barring a sabbatical, she has made an indelible impression on viewers." Thangevelo wrote that Taylor's daughter Steffy Forrester is a "very much younger version" of Taylor's enemy, Brooke. Tylo said of the character's evolution, "Well, I don’t think she has been throwing caution to the wind. She has been saying, ‘Whenever I am self-sacrificing, I end up getting screwed over and hurt in the end.’ And now she is trying a different approach. Or rather she is protecting herself." Mark Larkin of the Daily Mail described the Ridge-Brooke-Taylor love triangle as "epic", having stretched across decades.
For her portrayal of Taylor, Hunter Tylo was nominated for "Favorite Hottest Female Star" at the 1995 Soap Opera Digest Awards, however Kristina Wagner of General Hospital won. Tylo was nominated for the same award at the 1999 Soap Opera Digest Awards (Days Of Our Lives star Kristian Alfonso won that year). Tylo won a Telvis Award Foreign Female TV Performer (Finnish: Ulkomainen naisesiintyjä) for her work on the show in 2002.
- Morris, Linda (December 11, 2013). "The Bold and the Beautiful gets turned into romance novels". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- Andrews, Amy (December 1, 2014). Heart's Desire: The Bold and the Beautiful (Google eBook)ISBN 1743530234.. Momentum.
- Maloney, Michael (Mar 22, 2007). "'Beautiful' won't eschew issues". Variety. (Reed Business Information). Retrieved Dec 18, 2011.
- "About B&B: Who's Who in Los Angeles | Taylor Hayes | The Bold and the Beautiful @". Soapcentral.com. Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- Hart, marla (Jun 17, 1993). "Three's a Charm After Two Bad Starts, Hunter Tylo Comes Into Her Own on 'B&B'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- Ciaccia, Maria. "Sherilyn Wolter (Celia Quartermaine) - Where Is She Now?". About.com. The New York Times Company. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- "Tylo to exit 'B&B'". Star-News. (The New York Times Company). Mar 10, 1996. p. 19. Retrieved Dec 14, 2011.
- "Sweeny Loves playing the Bad girl". Star-News. Jul 17, 1996. Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- Text of Tylo v. Superior Court (Spelling Entertainment Group, Inc.) (1997) 55 CA4th 1379 is available from: ceb.com
- "Taylor". boldandbeautiful.com. (PAID Inc). Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Hunter Tylo (Current Cast)". (PAID Inc). Retrieved Dec 19, 2011.
- "Taylor Hayes Forrester played by Hunter Tylo". Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- Fairman, Michael (2000). Hunter Tylo (Taylor Hayes Forrester) — Interview with SC Michael. Sony Pictures.[dead link]
- "The Hunter Tylo and Winsor Harmon Interview – The Bold and the Beautiful". (Michael Fairman Soaps, Inc). Dec 8, 2011. Retrieved Dec 14, 2011.
- "Video: Hunter Tylo – Favorite Scene on B&B". YouTube. Retrieved Dec 19, 2011.
- LUNCY McCARVER, Ginger (Oct 28, 1995). "Stars with 9 lives: Death is not forever on soaps". Herald-Journal. Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- Thangevelo, Debashine (Mar 12, 2012). "No more Mr Nice Guy, says Taylor". Independent Online. (Independent News & Media). Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- "About B&B: Who's Who in Los Angeles | Blake Hayes | The Bold and the Beautiful @". Soapcentral.com. Nov 10, 2012. Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- "Carl is warned on 'Another World'". The Ledger. (Halifax Media Group). Jun 29, 1991. Retrieved Oct 27, 2012.
- Goudas, John (Jul 20, 1991). "Bill Bell keeps viewers in dark". Gadsden Times. Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- "About B&B: Who's Who in Los Angeles | Ridge Forrester, Sr. | The Bold and the Beautiful @". Soapcentral.com. Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- Maloney, Michael (Feb 17, 2011). "Top 20 Most Memorable Soap Weddings of All Time". The Huffington Post. (Arianna Huffington). Retrieved Oct 28, 2012.
- Giddens, Jamey (Aug 6, 2012). "Will a Stroll Down Memory Lane Lead to More For Ridge and Taylor on Bold and Beautiful?". Zap2It. (Tribune Media Services). Retrieved Oct 27, 2012.
- "Hunter Tylo to do a live webchat with fans of The Bold and the Beautiful". The Daily Telegraph. (News Limited). May 18, 2011. Retrieved Oct 27, 2012.
- Soap Opera Digest. Oct 11, 1994. Missing or empty
- Cooper, Mary Ann (Feb 13, 1993). "Honeymoon begins on 'Another World'". The Ledger. (Halifax Media Group). Retrieved Oct 29, 2012.
- Reichardt, Nancy M. (Mar 9, 1996). "Soap Opera Digest". The Free Lance–Star. (Nicholas J. Cadwallender). Retrieved Oct 27, 2012.
- "Soap Opera Update". Star-News. (Halifax Media Group). Oct 2, 1994. Retrieved Oct 29, 2012.
- Cooper, Mary Ann (Mar 14, 1998). "Bianca's Anorexia Takes a Critical Turn on 'All My Children'". The Ledger. (Halifax Media Group). Retrieved Oct 28, 2012.
- Cooper, Mary Ann (Mar 7, 2004). "Kendall Realizes She Loves Ryan". The Ledger. (Halifax Media Group). Retrieved Oct 29, 2012.
- Giddens, Jamey (Aug 29, 2012). "Ridge and Taylor Wonder if They're The Reason The Kids AIN'T Alright on The Bold and the Beautiful". Zap2It. (Tribune Media Services). Retrieved Oct 28, 2012.
- Cooper, Mary Ann (Jul 30, 1999). "Soap Previews". The Madison Courier. Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- Cooper, Mary Ann (Aug 7, 1999). "Alan Appoints Phillip CEO on 'Guiding Light'". The Ledger. (Halifax Media Group). Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- "Soap Opera Update". Star-News. (Halifax Media Group). Aug 8, 1999. Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- "Taylor felled by TB? Don't Fret, 'B&B' Fans". Orlando Sentinel. Orlando, Fla: (Tribune Company). Sep 4, 1999. p. 13.
- "Steffy Forrester played by Jacqueline MacInnes Wood". (The Walt Disney Company). Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- Reichardt, Nancy (Aug 28, 1999). "Soap opera digest". Sunday Free Lance-Star. Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- "B&B's Hunter Tylo Axed". Australia's No1 TV Soap (Australia). Oct 21, 2002. pp. 4–5.
- "Entertainment – Soap Operas – The Bold". Lakeland Ledger. Mar 7, 2004. Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- Barnet, Deanna (May 19, 2005). "Hunter Tylo's Secret Return". Retrieved Dec 19, 2011.
- "About B&B: Who's Who in Los Angeles | Nick Marone | The Bold and the Beautiful @". Soapcentral.com. Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- "About B&B: Who's Who in Los Angeles | Rick Forrester, Jr. | The Bold and the Beautiful @". Soapcentral.com. Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- "THE Hunter Tylo Interview – The Bold and the Beautiful". (Michael Fairman Soaps, Inc). Jun 16, 2008. Retrieved Dec 16, 2011.
- Garret, Tommy (Mar 21, 2010). "Leading Men, Lovers In The Afternoon". Canyon News. (Glen Kelly). Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- "About B&B: Who's Who in Los Angeles | Whipple Jones III | The Bold and the Beautiful @". Soapcentral.com. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- Garret, Tommy (Dec 4, 2010). "Leading Men, At The Breaking Point". Canyon News. (Glen Kelly). Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- Giddens, Jamey (Aug 17, 2012). "Five Soap Opera Feuds That Spilled Over Into Real Life!". Daytime Confidential. Zap2It. Retrieved Sep 1, 2012.
- "Soap Opera Summaries". The Item. Nov 5, 2007. Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- Lomas, Darren. "Taylor vs. Brooke part 34,736". Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- Garrett, Tommy (Feb 28, 2010). "Article-Bold and Beautiful Cat Fight, Exclusive". Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- "Is Hunter Tylo Exiting The Bold and the Beautiful For Good?". On-Air On-Soaps. May 16, 2013. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "SHOCKER: Hunter Tylo OUT at The Bold and the Beautiful?". 'Zap2it. (Tribune Media Services). Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "Hunter Tylo off contract, will exit B&B in July | The Bold and the Beautiful @". Soapcentral.com. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- "Hunter Tylo Back on B&B!". Soap Opera Digest. American Media, Inc. January 28, 2014. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Logan, Michael (January 30, 2014). "Exclusive: Schae Harrison Returns to The Bold and the Beautiful". TV Guide. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "Hunter Tylo Back to B&B". Soap Opera Digest. American Media, Inc. April 1, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Blog: Casting Corner - The Bold and the Beautiful - CBS.com". Los Angeles: CBS.com. November 4, 2014. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- Johnson, Nancy (May 23, 1992). "Soap Opera Review". Lawrence Journal-World. Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- Johnson, Nancy (Dec 29, 1990). "Soap Opera Review". Lawrence Journal-World. Retrieved Dec 22, 2011.
- Cochran, Beth (Jun 6, 2011). "Ridge and Taylor Redux?". About. The New York Times Company. Retrieved Sep 1, 2012.
- Cochran, Beth. "‘The Bold and the Beautiful’ Episode Recap for October 26, 2011". About. The New York Times Company. Retrieved Sep 1, 2012.
- Kerr, Luke (Oct 31, 2012). "Katie Wants A Divorce From Bill on The Bold and the Beautiful". Zap2It. (Tribune Media Services). Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- Garrett, Tommy (Jul 26, 2009). "Gold Standard, Week Of Getting Busted". Canyon News. (Glen Kelly). Retrieved Apr 28, 2013.
- Garret, Tommy (Jan 17, 2010). "Leading Ladies, Meddling Mothers". Canyon News. (Glen Kelly). Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- Larkin, Mike (Nov 11, 2012). "Bold and the Beautiful star Katherine Kelly Lang files for divorce". Daily Mail. (Associated Newspapers Ltd). Retrieved Nov 15, 2012.
- "Awards for 1995 Soap Opera Digest Award". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved Dec 19, 2011.
- "Awards for 1999 Soap Opera Digest Award". The Internet Movie Database. Retrieved Dec 19, 2011.
- "Awards for 2002: Telvis Awards". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved Dec 19, 2011.