July 27, 1984 |
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
Taylor Schilling (born July 27, 1984) is an American actress. She starred as Nurse Veronica Flanagan Callahan in the short-lived NBC medical drama Mercy (2009–2010). She later played Dagny Taggart in Atlas Shrugged: Part I (2011), Beth Green in The Lucky One (2012); and Piper Chapman in the Netflix original series, Orange is the New Black (2013–present).
Schilling was born in Boston, Massachusetts to Patricia "Tish" Miller, an MIT administrator, and Robert J. "Bob" Schilling, a former prosecutor, and grew up in West Roxbury and Wayland, splitting time between her divorced parents.
A fan of the NBC medical drama ER during her youth, Schilling began acting at a young age. She became active in her middle school's theater program when she appeared in a stage production of Fiddler on the Roof. After graduating from Wayland High School in 2002, she attended Fordham University's New York City campus at Lincoln Center, where she continued to take part in stage productions before earning her Bachelor of Arts degree in 2006. Schilling then entered the graduate program at New York University to continue her acting studies, but left after her second year to start auditioning. While she attempted to break into acting, Schilling supported herself by working as a nanny for a Manhattan-based family. Eventually, she made her feature film debut with a supporting role in the 2007 independent film Dark Matter.
In 2009, Schilling was selected to star in the NBC medical drama Mercy, playing Nurse Veronica Flanagan Callahan, a tough Iraq War veteran and former military nurse-turned-medical practitioner. Reading for the part via video tape from New York City, Schilling impressed the show's creator and executive producer Liz Heldens and her husband who then flew her out to Los Angeles to audition for the role. In Heldens' words, "she just blew the doors off the audition". Prior to this experience, Schilling had only one screen credit. The show ran for one season from September 2009 to May 2010.
In 2011, Schilling portrayed Dagny Taggart in Atlas Shrugged, the film adaptation of Ayn Rand's novel. In 2012. she co-starred opposite Zac Efron, in the romantic drama film The Lucky One, which was based on the Nicholas Sparks novel.
Schilling stars as the main character, Piper Chapman, in the Netflix original series Orange Is the New Black, based on the Piper Kerman memoir. The show premiered on July 11, 2013  and Season 2 is set for release in mid-2014. Schilling was nominated for a Golden Globe for that role in 2014.
|2011||Atlas Shrugged: Part I||Dagny Taggart|
|2012||The Lucky One||Beth Green||Nominated—Teen Choice Award for Choice Liplock (with Zac Efron)
Nominated—Teen Choice Award for Choice Romance Actress
|2012||Argo||Christine Mendez||Hollywood Film Festival Award for Best Cast|
|2009–2010||Mercy||Nurse Veronica Flanagan Callahan||22 episodes|
|2013–present||Orange Is the New Black||Piper Chapman||13 episodes
Satellite Award for Best Cast – Television Series
Satellite Award for Best Actress – Television Series Musical or Comedy
Nominated—Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Television Series Drama
- "Taylor Schilling is truly The Lucky One’ - The Mercury". Pottsmerc.com. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- Curt Brown (2009-05-06). "Mercy! Daughter of New Bedford lawyer lands lead role in NBC drama". SouthCoastToday.com. Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- "Taylor Schilling Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "A Taylor-made career for Wayland 'Lucky One' star". The MetroWest Daily News. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "Mercy: Cast Bios: Taylor Schilling". NBC. Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- "Taylor Schilling and Liz Heldens Talk Mercy". Movieweb. Retrieved 2009-10-30.
- McNary, Dave (2010-06-14). "Cameras roll on 'Atlas'". Variety. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 30, 2012). "Taylor Schilling To Star In Jenji Kohan’s Netflix Series ‘Orange Is The New Black’". Deadline.com. Retrieved August 30, 2012.