|Motto: "Grow With Us..."|
Location of Taylorsville, Mississippi
|• Total||3.7 sq mi (9.5 km2)|
|• Land||3.7 sq mi (9.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||276 ft (84 m)|
|• Density||364.3/sq mi (140.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0678604|
Taylorsville is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.7 square miles (9.6 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,341 people, 534 households, and 375 families residing in the town. The population density was 364.3 people per square mile (140.7/km2). There were 598 housing units at an average density of 162.4 per square mile (62.7/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 81.58% White, 17.75% African American, 0.37% from other races, and 0.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.37% of the population.
There were 534 households out of which 35.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.2% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.6% were non-families. 28.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 16.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 88.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $28,563, and the median income for a family was $38,958. Males had a median income of $30,776 versus $20,096 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,202. About 12.5% of families and 16.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.1% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and Culture
The Grillin' N Chillin' Barbecue Festival is held each year and features a concert, K run, car and motorcycle show and barbecue competition.
Taylorsville is served by two newspapers-The Smith County Reformer and The Post. Radio station WBBN-FM 95.9 (B95), which is a 100,000 watt station, and is a Blakeney Communications station, is licensed to Taylorsville with main studios in Laurel and a secondary studio in Hattiesburg.
Taylorsville is served by three television markets. Local programming with viewing area coverage includes:
- Hattiesburg/Laurel DMA
- Jackson DMA
- Meridian DMA
The town has no city transit but is served by Mississippi Highways 37, 28, 531, and 532. Taylorsville is located 10 miles from U.S. 84. The town is connected to a railroad system which connects to the West Taylorsville Industrial Park.
- Jason Campbell (football player)
- Eric Clark (Mississippi Secretary of State)
- Tim Duckworth (football player)
- John McGill (basketball player)
- Danny Myrick (singer/songwriter)
- Eugene Sims (football player)
- Billy Hamilton (shortstop)
- Prentiss Walker (politician)
- "Town of Taylorsville Mississippi". Town of Taylorsville Mississippi. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Taylorsville Chamber of Commerce". Taylorsville Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- "Smith County School District". Smith County School District. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- "Smith County School District". Great Schools Inc. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taylorsville, Mississippi.|
- Town of Taylorsville - Official site.
- Taylorsville Chamber of Commerce
- Smith County School District
- ePodunk: Profile for Taylorsville, Mississippi