Location of Tchula, Mississippi
|• Total||1.4 sq mi (3.7 km2)|
|• Land||1.4 sq mi (3.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||112 ft (34 m)|
|• Density||1,683.6/sq mi (650.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0678607|
Tchula is located at (33.180711, -90.222588).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), of which 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (2.11%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,332 people, 724 households, and 524 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,683.6 people per square mile (647.8/km²). There were 772 housing units at an average density of 557.4 per square mile (214.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 3.43% White, 95.93% African American, 0.09% Native American, and 0.56% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.47% of the population.
There were 724 households out of which 38.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 21.4% were married couples living together, 45.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.5% were non-families. 25.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.22 and the average family size was 3.92.
In the town the population was spread out with 37.9% under the age of 18, 13.0% from 18 to 24, 25.1% from 25 to 44, 14.7% from 45 to 64, and 9.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 24 years. For every 100 females there were 80.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 71.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $11,571, and the median income for a family was $14,773. Males had a median income of $22,250 versus $16,310 for females. The per capita income for the town was $6,373. About 49.4% of families and 54.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 66.6% of those under age 18 and 55.8% of those age 65 or over.
The town of Tchula is served by the Holmes County School District. The schools are S.V. Marshall High and Elementary and Milston Middle.
- Yvonne Brown (1952–2012) - The first black Republican female mayor in Mississippi, Brown served as Mayor from 2001 to 2009 and was the Republican nominee for Mississippi's 2nd congressional district in 2006.
- Jimmy Dawkins - Blues guitarist and singer who moved to Chicago at 18 or 19.
- Lester Davenport - Blues musician.
- Chris Epps - former commissioner of the Mississippi Department of Corrections.
- Hartman Turnbow - First black person in Mississippi to successfully register to vote.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Census". Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Pettus, Emily Wagster. "Epps’ star falls in Miss. after federal indictment" (Archive). Washington Times. November 8, 2014. Retrieved on February 27, 2015.
- "Hartman Turnbow - Mississippi Civil Rights Project". mscivilrightsproject.org. Retrieved February 28, 2015.