Te Amo (Rihanna song)
|Single by Rihanna|
|from the album Rated R|
|Released||June 8, 2010|
"Te Amo" (English: "I Love You") is a song by Barbadian recording artist Rihanna from her fourth studio album, Rated R (2009). The song was written by Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, James Fauntleroy II and Rihanna, with production helmed by Eriksen and Hermansen under their production name, Stargate. "Te Amo" impacted radio in Canada on June 7, 2010, and was released via digital download on June 8, 2010, in Australia, Italy and New Zealand, as the album's third international and fifth overall single. "Te Amo" incorporates elements of Latin American music and conveys Rihanna's struggles as the object of another woman's desires.
Music critics praised the song for its lyrics and for a less futuristic sound than other songs on Rated R. "Te Amo" peaked inside the top ten of national charts, including the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland. The song also attained top forty positions in Australia, The Netherlands and Slovakia. "Te Amo" was certified gold in four countries. The song's accompanying music was directed by longtime collaborator Anthony Mandler and features French supermodel Laetitia Casta, who tries to seduce Rihanna and eventually succeeds. Rihanna performed the song live at Radio 1's Big Weekend 2010 on May 23, 2010 in Bangor, Wales. "Te Amo" was also included on the set list of Rihanna's Last Girl on Earth Tour.
- 1 Background and composition
- 2 Critical reception
- 3 Chart performance
- 4 Promotion
- 5 Credits and personnel
- 6 Tracklist
- 7 Charts
- 8 Certifications
- 9 Radio and release history
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Background and composition
A 20-second sample of Rihanna singing the chorus of "Te Amo", which music critics praised for not sounding as "futuristic" or "electronic" as other songs on Rated R, such as "Hard" and "G4L".
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Te Amo" was released as the fourth international and sixth overall single from Rihanna's fourth studio album, Rated R. The song was written by Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, James Fauntleroy II and Rihanna, with production helmed by Eriksen and Hermansen under their production name, Stargate. The song was sent for mainstream airplay in Canada on June 7, 2010, and released via digital download in Australia, Italy and New Zealand one day later, through Universal Music. In Germany, "Te Amo" was released as a CD single on June 11, 2010.
Musically, "Te Amo" draws influence from Latin American music genres and is set in common time with a tempo of 172 beats per minute. The song is written in the key of G-sharp minor with Rihanna's vocal range spanning from the low note of F♯3 to the high note of C♯5. Lyrically, "Te Amo" tells of a relationship between two women, with one realizing that she is falling in love with Rihanna, proclaiming 'Te amo' throughout the song. As Rihanna realizes that the other woman is falling in love with her, Rihanna sings "I feel love but I don't feel that way", meaning that she knows her suitor loves her, but does not want to become romantically involved with her. Ailbhe Malone of NME described the meaning of the lyrics in her review of Rated R, explaining that Rihanna sings from a male perspective as she portrays a man who cannot commit, rather than a woman who is "clinging to an unrealistic ideal".
"Te Amo" was critically acclaimed from music critics. As part of his review for Rated R, Jude Rogers of BBC Music noted that "Te Amo" and "Rockstar 101" were the less futuristic tracks on the album as they do not feature the heavy electronic influences, which are present on songs such as "Hard" and "G4L". Robert Copsey of Digital Spy awarded the song a rating of four out of five stars and noted that Rihanna had progressed from singing about a male interest in one of her previous singles, "Rude Boy", to fantasizing about women, writing "After the rather explicit 'Rude Boy' campaign, Rihanna's taking a well-deserved break from titillating the blokes here – only to find herself the object of another lady's affections. One of her Rated R LPs less menacing moments, 'Te Amo' finds La Fenty grappling with her sexuality over some irresistible, Latin-infused Stargate beats." Fraser McAlpine of BBC Music awarded the song four out of five stars and commented on the theme of lesbianism, writing "It's that old, old story: Girl meets girl. Girl speaks different language to girl. Girl loves girl. Girl doesn't love girl. Girl sad. We’ve all been there, right? And Rihanna’s captured that feeling beautifully."
Upon the release of the album, "Te Amo" made its first chart appearance on the Swedish Singles Chart, where it debuted at number 52 on December 4, 2009, and initially charted for a single week. After being released as a promotional CD in Sweden on May 5, 2010, the song re-entered the chart at number 53 on July 7, 2010. "Te Amo" peaked at number 48 two weeks later on July 30, and spent a total of six non-consecutive weeks on the chart. In the United Kingdom, the song entered the UK R&B Chart at number 29 on April 24, 2010, and peaked at number five weeks on May 29. The song debuted UK Singles Chart at number 30 on May 15, 2010, and peaked at number 14 two weeks later on May 29. On May 23, 2010, the song entered the Australian Singles Chart and the Swiss Singles Chart at numbers 35 and 58, respectively. The song peaked at number 22 in its sixth charting week in Australia, and at number nine in Switzerland. "Te Amo" debuted at number 11 in Austria on June 25, 2010, and descended to number the following week. However, the song re-peaked at number 11 on July 9. The song spent eighteen weeks on the chart. In the Flanders and Wallonia regions of Belgium, "Te Amo" debuted on the singles charts at numbers 29 and 28 respectively on June 19, 2010, and spent thirteen weeks charting. In the Flanders region, the song peaked at number 14 while the song was more successful in the Wallonia region, peaking at number 10.
Elsewhere in Europe, the song debuted on the Italian Singles Chart on July 15, 2010 at number nine and peaked at number seven for two weeks. "Te Amo" was less successful in Denmark, Finland and Norway, peaking at numbers 22, 14 and 12 respectively. In Germany, "Te Amo" became Rihanna's first song since "Hate That I Love You" in 2007 not to reach the top 10, and debuted on the German Singles Chart at number 13 on July 26, 2010. It fluctuated in the top 20 before reaching its peak at number 11 on July 24, 2010. On the European Hot 100 chart, "Te Amo" debuted at number 48 on May 29, 2010 and peaked at number 18 on July 17, 2010. Although "Te Amo" was not released as a single in Canada, the song debuted on the Canadian Hot 100 chart issue dated July 3, 2010 at number 98 a peaked at number 66 on July 17, 2010.
The music video for "Te Amo" was shot over two days on April 29 and 30, 2010, in Vigny, France and was directed by longtime collaborator Anthony Mandler, who had previously directed the music videos for "Wait Your Turn" and "Russian Roulette". Whilst on set for the video, photographs were released; they featured Rihanna wearing a vibrant Mara Hoffman maxi dress, which cost over $1,000. French supermodel Laetitia Casta played the role of a femme fatale and the apparent love interest of Rihanna.
In the video, Rihanna plays Casta's lesbian love interest. Casta arrives at the castle in a car, and steps out with a very provocative outfit, and meets Rihanna who is waiting inside. Throughout all of the video, Casta tries to seduce Rihanna whilst Rihanna initially resists, but eventually gives in to Casta's charm. First, she meets Rihanna in the living room and catches her eye. In the next scene, the couple are shown on top of a table with ultraviolet lighting and Casta rubs her head on Rihanna's legs. They are then shown outside the castle and Rihanna falls to the ground in despair while Casta looks on. Soon, they are shown in a room full of male dancers and Rihanna begins to feel more comfortable around her admirer. The last two scenes are Rihanna and Casta in PVC bondage outfits kissing on a bed in a darkened room, and then at a burning table, looking away from each other. Billboard's music video reviewer, Monica Herrera commented, "Rihanna saved a far sexier clip than 'Rockstar 101' for fans abroad." She described the video's various scenes as "Rihanna getting frisky in a bedroom and setting a fire with a sultry female companion."
Rihanna performed "Te Amo" for the first time at Radio 1's Big Weekend 2010 on May 23, 2010 in Bangor, Wales, where she performed the song as part of a set list, along with "Madhouse", "Hard", "Disturbia", "Rude Boy", "Russian Roulette", "Don't Stop the Music", "SOS" and "Umbrella". The performance featured Rihanna wearing "fishnets, boots and a reggae-inspired leather playsuit with go faster stripes in red, green and yellow and a hood". The song was also included on the set list of the Last Girl on Earth Tour. Rihanna performed the song during the Rock in Rio 2011 in Rio de Janeiro.
Credits and personnel
- Recorded at Metropolis Studios, London
- Mixed at Chung King Studios, New York
Credits adapted from the inlay cover of Rated R.
- Digital Single
- "Te Amo" (Album Version) - 3:28
- "Rude Boy" (Wideboys Stadium Radio Mix) - 3:16
|Switzerland (Swiss Music Charts)||Gold|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver|
Radio and release history
Radio add dates
- Rogers, Jude (2009-11-23). "Rihanna – Rated R – Review". BBC. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- Talarico, Brittany (2010-05-28). "Video: Rihanna Reveals Another Music Video for 'Te Amo'". OK!. Northern & Shell. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- Rated R (inlay cover). Rihanna. Def Jam Recordings. 2009. 56061727.
- "Going For Adds Jun 07 2010 (Canada)". R&R. Retrieved 2010-06-03.
- "Te Amo – Single by Rihanna – Download Te Amo – Single on iTunes". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. 2010-06-08. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Te Amo – Single di Rihanna – Scarica Te Amo – Single su iTunes" (in Italian). iTunes Store. Apple Inc. 2010-06-08. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Te Amo – Single by Rihanna – Download Te Amo – Single on iTunes". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. 2010-06-08. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Te Amo (2-Track): Rihanna: Amazon.de: Musik" (in German). Amazon.de. 2010-06-11. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Rihanna – Rated R". musicOMH. Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- Copsey, Robert (2010-105-24). "Rihanna: 'Te Amo'". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi (UK) Ltd. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Te Amo – Rihanna Digital Music Sheet". Musicnotes.com. Peer International Music Publishing. 2009. MN0087830 (Product Number). Retrieved 2011-08-013.
- Malone, Ailbhe (2009-12-03). "Album review: Rihanna – 'Rated R' (Mercury)". NME (IPC Media). Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- McAlpine, Fraser (2010-05-24). "Rihanna – 'Te Amo'". BBC. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. 2009-12-03. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Archive Chart - 24th April 2010". The Official Charts Company. 2010-04-24. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Archive Chart - 29th May 2010". The Official Charts Company. 2010-04-24. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Archive Chart - 15th May 2010". The Official Charts Company. 2010-05-15. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Archive Chart - 29th May 2010". The Official Charts Company. 2010-05-29. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". australiancharts.com. Hung Medien. 2010-05-23. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". Swiss Charts (in Swiss). Hung Median. 2010-05-23. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". austriancharts.com (in Austrian German). Hung Medien. 2010-05-25. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". ultratop.be (in French). Hung Medien. 2010-06-19. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". ultratop.be (in French). Hung Medien. 2010-06-19. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". italiancharts.com. Hung Medien. 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". danishcharts.com. Hung Medien. 2010-06-25. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". finnishcharts.com. Hung Medien. 2010-08-09. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rihanna Te Amo (Song)". Norwegian Charts. Hung Median. 2010-07-05. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Chartverfolgung / Rihanna / Single". Musicline. 2010-06-28. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "German Top 40 – 2010-06-26". Top-40 Charts. Hung Median. 2010-06-26. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "German Top 40 – 2010-07-24". Top-40 Charts. Hung Median. 2010-07-27. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Te Amo [Explicit Version] – Rihanna". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010-07-17. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Video: Rihanna – 'Te Amo'". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Video: Rihanna – 'Wait Your Turn'". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "Video: Rihanna – 'Russian Roulette'". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. 2009-11-13. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Top 10: Rihanna Singles". The Capital FM Network. Global Radio. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Rihanna gets romantic as she shoots new video in a French chateau". Daily Mail (Daily Mail and General Trust). 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- "Videos of the Week: Rihanna's 'Te Amo' Too Sexy for U.S". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Rihanna's raunchy Big Weekend: Superstar steals the show with leather-clad performance". Daily Mail (Daily Mail and general Trust). 2010-05-24. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Rihanna – Setlist". BBC. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Rihanna lights up the Netherlands with electrifying performance and SEVEN costume changes". Daily Mail. Daily Mail and general Trust. 2010-04-19. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- Rihanna live at the Rock in Rio festival.
- "Acompanhe aqui tudo sobre o primeiro dia do Rock in Rio 2011". Globo.com. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Rihanna divulga setlist de sua apresentação no Rock in Rio". Globo.com. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- "Brasil Hot 100 Airplay". Billboard Brasil (Brasil: bpp) (2): 96. October 2009
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201029 into search.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 10 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Rihanna – Te Amo Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 29, 2010" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "ZPAV Top5 Airplay 26.06. – 02.07.2010". Polish Music Charts. 2010-07-16. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "Archive Chart". The Official Charts Company. 2010-06-19. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200941 into search.
- "Jahreshitparade 2010 – austriancharts.at". austriancharts.com (in Austrian German). Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-01-04.
- "Best of 2010 European Hot 100 Singles". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- "Classifiche annuali dei dischi più venduti e dei singoli più scaricati nel 2010". FIMI. 2011-01-17. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "2010 Year End Swiss Singles Chart". Swiss Music Charts. Hung Median. Retrieved 2011-01-12.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2010 Singles". ARIA. 2010-10-31. Retrieved 2010-11-06.
- "Certificazioni Download FIMI". FIMI. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community". swisscharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-11-06.
- "BPI – Certified Awards Search" (To access, enter the search parameter "Rihanna" and select "Search by Keyword"). British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- "Te Amo (2-Track): Rihanna: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved 2010-07-08.