|Home arena||WinSport Canada|
|Colours||Red, Gold, Black, White
|General manager||Chantal Champagne|
|Head coach||Kevin Haller|
The Calgary Inferno (formerly known as Team Alberta, nickname "Honeybadgers", during the 2011-12 season) is a women’s ice hockey team that joined the Canadian Women's Hockey League for the 2011-12 season. The team plays its home games at Joan Snyder (Arena B) at WinSport Canada in Calgary, Alberta. After two seasons without an official name, in 2013 the team picked a moniker drawing from Calgary's National Hockey League franchise, the Calgary Flames. with whom they have a partnership. For the 2013-14 it was announced that all Inferno home-games will be streamed live by PCSN.tv
The first General Manager was Samantha Holmes, while the first head coach was Jason Schmidt. On July 21, 2011, the franchise participated in its first ever CWHL Draft. With the third overall pick in the 2011 CWHL Draft, Team Alberta selected Meaghan Mikkelson. With the first pick overall in the 2012 CWHL Draft, the team selected Hillary Pattenden.
- April 19: The CWHL announced on April 19, 2011, that it would merge with the Western Women's Hockey League for the 2011-12 season. The merger will feature one team based in Edmonton and Calgary and is a combination of the former WWHL franchises the Edmonton Chimos and Strathmore Rockies. The team will play their games in various locations around Alberta. Strathmore Rockies founder Samantha Holmes-Domagala, will join the sponsorship division of the CWHL and look after the requirements of the expansion team.
- July 21, 2011: Philanthropist Joan Snyder donated $2 million to Winsport Canada. The goal is to ensure priority rink access to female hockey players at all levels, and help expand the Canadian Women's Hockey League with the creation of Team Alberta. Part of the donation will cover the new addition to the Athletic and Ice Complex at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary. This will serve as the future home to Hockey Canada. In addition, there shall be four hockey rinks, one of which will be aptly called the Joan Snyder Rink. Team Alberta will benefit with the allocation of free practice time, a dressing room exclusive to the club. Of note, the Joan Snyder Rink give priority to women’s hockey bookings, but it will serve as the Team Alberta’s home rink.
- In September, 2011 a selection camp takes place . Then some matches pre-season are used as tool of final evaluation before finalizing the list of the staff on October 3.
- Beginning of October, 2011 concentrates on two weekends with friendly matches outside the competition against the Calgary Dinos women's ice hockey and MacEwan University Griffins women's ice hockey
- October 28, 2011: Team Alberta played its first game in the CWHL versus the Burlington Barracudas. Laura Dostaler scores the first goal in Team Alberta history in a 4-2 victory. Other goals were scored by Meghan Hunter, Jenna Cunningham and Courtney Sawchuk.
- September 23, 2013: After two years without an official name, the team is announced as the Calgary Inferno at the Calgary Flames' arena Scotiabank Saddledome, prior to a pre-season game between the Flames and the New York Rangers.
- On February 2, 2014, Danielle Stone broke two scoring records in Calgary Inferno franchise history. She began by topping Samantha Hunt’s franchise mark for most points in one season. The old mark was 14 and she would surpass it with her 15 point in a 2-1 shootout win against the Montreal Stars. In the same game, she set a new mark for most points in one season by an Inferno rookie. In that same game, Jessica Wong logged a goal, providing her with seven points in the first five games of her CWHL career, a new franchise record for the Inferno.
2011 draft picks
In preparation of its first season, the Team Alberta CWHL selects several players during a special draft of the league held on July 21, 2011 at Mississauga, Ontario.
- See also: 2011–12 CWHL season
Updated October 31, 2014.
Coaching staff 2014-15
- Samantha Holmes-Domagala & Matt Appelt: GM, 2011-12
- Jason Schmidt: Coach, 2011-12
- Erin Duggan: AC, 2011–12
- Tim Bothwell: Head Coach, 2012–14
|Season||Leader (F)||GP||G||A||Pts||Leader (D)||GP||G||A||Pts||PPG||SHG||GWG|
|2011-12||Sam Hunt||15||5||9||14||Meaghan Mikkelson||15||2||9||11||Jenna Cunningham(4)||Bianca Zuber (1)||Cunningham(2)|
|2012-13||Jenna Cunningham||23||4||4||8||Meaghan Mikkelson
|Cunningham (2)||None||Mikkelson (2)|
|2013-14||Danielle Stone||24||15||10||25||Tegan Schroeder||24||1||9||10||Stone (5)||Chelsea Purcell (1)||Jenna Cunningham (3)|
Awards and honors
- DeLayne Brian, 2014 CWHL Goaltender of the Year
- The heat is on: Calgary team embraces new Inferno logo and name; ready to melt the ice this season
- Chimos Part of Merger With CWHL
- Hockey NOW, New Rink Hosts World Girls’ Hockey Day Events
- Alberta Looks Ahead To October
- CWHL,2011 Top Draft Picks
- "Calgary Inferno Roster". Calgary Inferno. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Alberta Coaches And Staff