Tearaway (video game)
The game includes reversible box art featuring the male character on one side (shown above) and the female character on the other.
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment Europe|
|Composer(s)||Kenneth C M Young
|Release date(s)||PlayStation Vita
AUS 20 November 2013
|Distribution||PS Vita card, download|
Tearaway is a platform video game developed by LittleBigPlanet developers Media Molecule for the PlayStation Vita. It was announced at GamesCom on 15 August 2012 and released on 20 November 2013 in Australia, on 22 November in Europe, North America and India, and 5 December 2013 in Japan. The game is inspired by papercraft and Rex Crowle's drawings and doodles left around Media Molecule's office.
Tearaway is about a messenger on a mission to deliver a unique message to the player, referred to by characters in-game as "the You". At the beginning of the game players can choose whether to play as the male character, Iota, or the female, Atoi, and navigate through a world constructed from paper to deliver the message. The player uses of many of the Vita's features to guide Iota or Atoi, and must battle with scraps, small enemies that try to prevent the delivery.
Tearaway is a third-person platform game which utilises almost all of the PlayStation Vita's features in some way. In one example demonstrated in the game's announce trailer, the player encounters an elk who needs a new skin. The player is able to take a picture using the PS Vita's camera and have it applied to the papercraft animal. In a gameplay demo at Gamescom, Media Molecule demonstrated how the player is also able to use the PS Vita's rear touch panel to effectively push their fingers up through the ground to interact with enemies and the environment. The player is also capable of customizing Iota or Atoi by drawing designs on virtual paper, cutting them out, and applying them to their character. In another part of the demo, the player draws on the touchscreen with their finger to cut-out a paper crown for a character in the game. The player can also use an in-game camera to collect various papercraft designs, and can assist NPCs in exchange for confetti, the game's currency.
Tearaway was well received by critics, who praised its art style, creativity and inventive use of the PlayStation Vita's numerous inputs and sensors. The Sixth Axis said, "The PS Vita's various input devices are put to quite fantastic use throughout," and gave the game 9/10. Scoring the game 9.3/10, IGN's Daniel Krupa described Tearaway as "a simple story, told in a wonderful way", and called it "the best game I've played on the PlayStation Vita". Grant E. Gaines of Hardcore Gamer was slightly less positive, giving the game a 3.5/5 and praising it for its unique gamely mechanics and beautiful art style but criticizing its length. GameZone's Joe Donato gave it a 9.5/10, stating "The game is so intrinsically designed with the Vita platform in mind that it's such a success ... if you have a Vita you need to play it."
Tearaway won Edge 's 2013 award for best visual design in a game. The game received eight nominations in the categories of "Best Game", "Best British Game", "Best Family Game", "Best Mobile & Handheld Game", "Best Original Music", "Artistic Achievement", "Game Design" and "Game Innovation" for the 2014 BAFTA Video Games Awards; of these nominations, Tearaway won the awards for Best Mobile & Handheld Game Best Artistic Achievement, and best Family game.
On 12 August 2014, a PlayStation 4 retelling of the story, titled Tearaway Unfolded, was announced at Gamescom 2014. The game will include an extended storyline and enhanced features using the full power of the DualShock 4. It will render in full 1080p HD and is targeting 60 frames per second.
- "MEDIA MOLECULE'S TEARAWAY COMING TO PLAYSTATION 4". IGN. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Tearaway™ 撕紙小郵差 製品版 (中英韓文版), Sony Computer Entertainment Asia
- "Tearaway Release Date... - Media Molecule - We make games". Media Molecule. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Desai, Sameer (30 October 2013). "Sony continues preferential digital pricing, Tearaway Rs 1,000 cheaper on PSN | India games industry news". MCV India. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- "Media Molecule Presents Tearaway – PlayStation.Blog.Europe". Blog.eu.playstation.com. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Tearaway Release Date Update – PlayStation.Blog". Blog.us.playstation.com. 29 July 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Crecente, Brian (18 August 2012). "You can papercraft all of Tearaway in the real world | Polygon". Theverge.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Tearaway - The new game from Media Molecule, coming to PS Vita". Tearaway.mediamolecule.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Tearaway on Game Rankings". GameRankings. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Tearaway on Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Schilling, Chris (20 November 2013). "Review: Tearaway is 2013's craftiest adventure". ComputerAndVideoGames.com. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- "Review: Tearaway". Destructoid. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- "Tearaway Review". Edge. Future. 20 November 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Whitehead, Dan (20 November 2013). "Tearaway review • Reviews • PlayStation Vita •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Klepek, Patrick (27 November 2013). "Tearaway Review". Giant Bomb. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Tearaway Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Krupa, Daniel (20 November 2013). "Tearaway Review". IGN. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Gaines, Grant (20 November 2013). "Review: Tearaway". Hardcore Gamer. Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Tearaway Review". Thesixthaxis.com. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- Donato, Joe (26 November 2013). "Tearaway Review: Papercraft wonder". GZ. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- 2013-11-26, Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1304, Gematsu
- "The Edge awards 2013: best visual design". Edge. Future. 27 December 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "BAFTA Video Game Awards - Nominations". BAFTA. 12 February 2014. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Tylwalk, Nick. "2014 BAFTA Game Awards: Tearaway Wins Best Mobile and Handheld - GameSided - A Video Game news, rumors, and gamer/gaming site". GameSided. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Formoso, Thomas. "2014 BAFTA Game Awards: Tearaway Wins Best Artistic Achievement". Gamesided.com. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Lee, Dave. "BBC News - Bafta games: The Last of Us clears up at awards". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Cavalli, Earnest (12 August 2014). "Tearaway Unfolded coming to Playstation 4". joystiq.com. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Spafford, James (12 August 2014). "Tearaway Unfolded Coming to PS4". Playstation.com. Retrieved 14 August 2014.