Tears Dry on Their Own
|"Tears Dry on Their Own"|
|Single by Amy Winehouse|
|from the album Back to Black/Lioness: Hidden Treasures (original demo)|
|B-side||"You're Wondering Now"|
|Released||13 August 2007 (UK)
14 September 2007 (Germany)
|Format||CD single, digital download, 7" single, 12" single|
|Writer(s)||Amy Winehouse, Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson|
|Amy Winehouse singles chronology|
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Tears Dry on Their Own" is a song written and recorded by English singer-songwriter Amy Winehouse for her second studio album, Back to Black (2006). It was released as the album's fourth single on 31 July 2007. While the melody and lyrics are composed by Winehouse, the music behind her voice is a sample interpolation of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's 1967 Motown classic hit "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", penned by the married duo of Ashford & Simpson. The original ballad version of the track is featured on the 2011 posthumous album, Lioness: Hidden Treasures.
The song's music video was shot in Los Angeles, and was directed by David LaChapelle on 22 May 2007. The clip features footage of Winehouse making her way through Echo Park and in a dim motel room. The hotel is the Grand Motel at 1479 S La Cienega Blvd, in Los Angeles. The video for this song was the second to last filmed prior to Winehouse's death on 23 July 2011.
"Tears Dry on Their Own" became Winehouse's fourth consecutive single to chart inside the top 40 of the UK Singles Chart, when it entered at number 37 on 5 August 2007. It also became her eighth UK R&B top 40 hit. The single spent four weeks at number one on the UK Airplay Chart during August. After the song's physical release, the single climbed into the top 20, peaking at number 16. Therefore, "Tears Dry on Their Own" is Winehouse's second highest-charting single behind "Rehab" and the fourth consecutive top 30 hit from her second album. To date, it has spent 19 non-consecutive weeks on the UK Singles Chart, making it her fourth longest-running hit behind "Rehab" (57 weeks), her collaboration with Mark Ronson, "Valerie" (39 weeks), and "Back to Black" (34 weeks).
With sales of 84,750, "Tears Dry on Their Own" went on to become the UK's 93rd best-selling single of 2007.
On 31 July, 2011, the song re-entered the UK Singles Chart at 27 after Winehouse's death.
Track listings and formats
Official versions and remixes
- Album Version – 3:06
- Radio Edit – 3:08
- Al Usher Remix – 7:00
- Alix Alvarez Sole Channel Mix – 6:42
- Kardinal Beats Remix – 3:20
- NYPC's Fucked Mix – 4:39
|Dutch Singles Chart||100|
|European Hot 100 Singles||49|
|French Singles Chart||87|
|German Singles Chart||56|
|Hungarian Dance Chart||38|
|Irish Singles Chart||26|
|Romanian Top 100||70|
|Swedish Singles Chart||24|
|UK Singles Chart||16|
|UK R&B Singles Chart||6|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult R&B Airplay||40|
"Tears Dry on Their Own"
- Recorded by Franklin Socorro
- Mixed by Tom Elmhirst
- Producer – Salaamremi.com*
- Recorded by Gleyder "Gee" Disla, Shomari "Sho" Dillon
- Bass, piano, guitar – Salaam Remi
- Written by Amy Winehouse
- Drums, tambourine – Troy Auxilly-Wilson
- Mixed by Matt Paul
- Trumpet (bass), trumpet, flugelhorn – Bruce Purse
- Saxophone (baritone, tenor & alto), flute, clarinet, piano, celesta (celeste), guitar – Vincent Henry
- Backing vocals – Amy Winehouse
"You're Wondering Now"
- Recorded by Jon Moon
- Featuring – Ade*, Zalon*
- Written by Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson*, Clement Dodd
- The Sun, Bizarre
- Pop Crunch
- "European Hot 100 Singles". Billboard. Retrieved 2008-01-19.[dead link]
- "Amy Winehouse – Tears Dry On Their Own – Music Charts". αCharts.us. Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- "Dance Top 40 lista – 2007. 38. hét". Mahasz (in Hungarian). Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- "Romanian Top 100 – 23/2007". Vento Consultanta SRL (in Romanian). Retrieved 2008-03-02.[dead link]
- "Hot Adult R&B Airplay". Billboard. Retrieved 2008-03-02.[dead link]