Teatro del Silenzio
|Teatro del Silenzio
(Theatre of Silence)
|Capacity||7,490, 10,000 in 2010|
|Opened||27 July 2006|
The Teatro del Silenzio (or Theatre of Silence) is an Italian open air amphitheatre which is located in Lajatico, Tuscany — the hometown of Andrea Bocelli. In 2006, Bocelli influenced the municipality of his hometown Lajatico to build the outdoor theatre, and contributed greatly towards its construction.
The theatre hosts a concert by Bocelli, its honorary president, once every July, while remaining silent the rest of the year.
Once a year in July the Teatro del Silenzio plays host to a concert. The concert of Andrea Bocelli includes performances from Bocelli and other guests. To date there have been seven concerts in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- Andrea Bocelli (tenor)
- Paola Sanguinetti (soprano)
- Gianfranco Montresor (baritone)
- Pisana Chorus
- Orchestra Filarmonica Italiana di Piacenza (The Italian Philharmonic Orchestra) 
- Marcello Rota (conductor)
The second concert took place 5 July 2007. The planned rehearsal the previous night was cancelled due to heavy winds, but the concert itself went ahead and included performances from pianist Lang Lang, trumpeter Chris Botti, saxophonist Kenny G, singers Laura Pausini, Elisa, Sarah Brightman, and Heather Headley, conductor Bill Ross, the special guest was 14-time Grammy Award winning David Foster. Performances from Bocelli included Con te partirò, Vivo per lei, Il Mare Calmo della Sera, and The Prayer. Heather Headley was the other half of the duet in both Vivo per lei and The Prayer. Elisa performed La voce del silenzio, Laura Pausini sung Vivere, while Sarah Brightman performed Time to Say Goodbye as a duet with Bocelli and Canto della terra. Dueting with Bocelli on their respective instruments other performers included Lang Lang (Io ci sarò), Kenny G (A te), Chris Botti (Italia), and David Foster playing Because We Believe and a medley from Amore.
Vivere Live in Tuscany, the DVD of the concert was released January 29, 2008.
Four One Music & Events organised the third concert on 20 July 2008.
- Orchestra Roma Sinfonietta (The Rome Sinfonietta Orchestra)
- Sinfonietta Orchestra of Rome
- Nicola Piovani
- Roberto Bolle
- Charice Pempengco
Charice sang a duet of the song "The Prayer" with Bocelli, having only met for the first time 23 May 2008 when performing at a one-night tribute concert with David Foster at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on the Las Vegas Strip.
For 2009, eight sculptures, by Hans Peter Ditzler, were placed at the theatre The concert took place on July 18. Among Bocelli's guests were opera legend Placido Domingo, with whom he sang Nessun Dorma from Puccini's Turandot and a duet from the The Pearl Fishers, and Katherine Jenkins, with whom he sang Time to Say Goodbye.
Sculptures by Swiss artist Kurt Laurenz Metzler, who attended the concert, were exhibited during the 2010 edition of the concert, and Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida, who was also in attendance, donated a Bronze statue she had made of Bocelli, to the city of Lajatico, in the afternoon just before the concert.
Bocelli held the fifth edition of the Teatro del Silenzio, on July 25, to an audience of 10,000, double the amount of the first edition of the annual Festival, held in 2006. His guests included one of the two surviving member of The Three Tenors, Spanish Catalan tenor, José Carreras, and Italian rock singer, Zucchero.
He was also awarded the Pisano Doc, during the dress rehearsal for the concert, July 24, "in recognition for a great citizen, who with his extraordinary art and his humanity brings great prestige, honor and respect to the city of Pisa."
The edition was held on July 12, 2012.
The site of Teatro del Silenzio also incorporates sculptures by artists. Sculptures have been selected to be exhibited on a platform in the centre of the lake. In 2008, Mario Ceroli's "Il Cavallo di Bronzo", a bronze horse was displayed with past sculptures including Arnaldo Pomodoro's "Il Grande Sole", and works by Igor Mitoraj and Kurt Laurenz Metzler.
See also 
- Tyzack, Anna (2008-05-31). "Property overseas: Unsung Italy". Telegraph.co.uk (London: Telegraph Group Limited). Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- Capacity for 2008 based on this seating plan.
- "The location: "Il Teatro Del Silenzio"". faltone.it. Faltone. Retrieved 2008-10-13.[dead link]
- Sernaglia (2008-09-11). "Italy's fairground-ride cluster". The Economist. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- "Celine and Charice blow Garden away". Filipino Reporter. New York Press Club. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- BBC Two 18:50 (GMT) (2007-12-25). Andrea Bocelli: The Story Behind the Voice (Television documentary). BBC. Retrieved 2007-12-25.
- "Tatro del Silenzio 2006". lajatico.info. medialife.it. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- "Tatro del Silenzio 2007". lajatico.info. medialife.it. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- "Andrea Bocelli - Career". andreabocelli.com. Andrea Bocelli. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-10-12. Career → 2007 → 06 07.07.05
- "Andrea Bocelli - Il Teatro del Silenzio - 20 Luglio 2008". (Italian) Four One Music and Events. Retrieved 2008-10-11.