Technical College System of Georgia
The Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG), formerly known as the Department of Technical and Adult Education (DTAE), is the body which supervises the U.S. state of Georgia's 25 technical colleges and two technical divisions in University System of Georgia (USG) institutions, while also surveying the adult literacy program and economic and workforce development programs. The system operates the Georgia Virtual Technical Connection, a clearinghouse for online technical courses. The Technical College System of Georgia serves the people and the state by creating a system of technical education whose purpose is to use the latest technology and easy access for all adult Georgians and corporate citizens.
The TCSG and USG are completely separate agencies and work entirely independently of each other, except for certain cooperative efforts. Some core courses are transferable between the two, though this was made more difficult when the USG moved to the semester system in 1997, while the TCSG remained on the quarter system. Now, the TCSG is changing to the semester system beginning in Fall (August) 2011. The TCSG has worked with the state budget office to minimize the economic impact of the conversion, believing a move that is in the best interests of TCSG students cannot be delayed.
Beginning in 2008, it was being studied whether some schools should merge. The first was the merger of Georgia Aviation Technical College in Eastman into the USG's Middle Georgia College in 2007, effective July 1. In September 2008, the State Board of Technical and Adult Education voted to merge 13 colleges into six. The board stated that the mergers only affect the administrative functions of the colleges.
When the University System of Georgia mandated semesters in 1998, enrollment fell by several thousand students, and those that remained took fewer courses, causing budget shortfalls which the state legislature had to make up for.
List of technical colleges
- Albany Technical College, Albany
- Altamaha Technical College, Jesup
- Athens Technical College, Athens
- Atlanta Technical College, Atlanta
- Augusta Technical College, Augusta
- Central Georgia Technical College, Macon
- Chattahoochee Technical College, Marietta
- Columbus Technical College, Columbus
- Georgia Northwestern Technical College, Rome
- Georgia Piedmont Technical College, Clarkston
- Gwinnett Technical College, Lawrenceville
- Lanier Technical College, Oakwood
- Middle Georgia Technical College, Warner Robins
- Moultrie Technical College, Moultrie
- North Georgia Technical College, Clarkesville
- Oconee Fall Line Technical College, Sandersville
- Ogeechee Technical College, Statesboro
- Okefenokee Technical College, Waycross
- Savannah Technical College, Savannah
- South Georgia Technical College, Americus
- Southeastern Technical College, Vidalia
- Southern Crescent Technical College, Griffin
- Southwest Georgia Technical College, Thomasville
- West Georgia Technical College, Waco
- Wiregrass Georgia Technical College, Valdosta
USG institutions with technical divisions
Former units of the TCSG
Prior to July 1, 2009, these institutions were independent units of the TCSG; however, they were merged with other institutions.
- Appalachian Technical College, Jasper and Woodstock: merged with Chattahoochee Technical College
- East Central Technical College, Fitzgerald and Ocilla: merged with Valdosta Technical College and renamed Wiregrass Georgia Technical College
- Flint River Technical College, Thomaston: merged with Griffin Technical College and renamed Southern Crescent Technical College
- Heart of Georgia Technical College, Dublin: merged with Sandersville Technical College and renamed Oconee Fall Line Technical College
- North Metro Technical College, Acworth: merged with Chattahoochee Technical College
- Northwestern Technical College, Rock Spring: merged with Coosa Valley Technical College and renamed Georgia Northwestern Technical College
- Swainsboro Technical College, Swainsboro: merged with Southeastern Technical College
- West Central Technical College, Waco: merged with West Georgia Technical College (the Waco campus is designated as main campus of the merged schools)
- Consolidation/Merger of Technical Colleges in TCSG - Facts
- Tech schools moving to semesters. Gainesvilletimes.com (2010-07-13). Retrieved on 2013-09-27.