Technical Report Archive & Image Library
Technical Report Archive & Image Library (TRAIL) is a national collaborative project initiated by the University of Arizona and the Greater Western Library Alliance (GWLA) and that is now part of the Global Resources Network of the Center for Research Libraries (CRL), in cooperation with more than 50 partner institutions. TRAIL's purpose is to digitize, preserve, and make openly available technical reports published primarily before 1976 by agencies of the United States government. Technical reports often contain detailed information not published elsewhere, but can be difficult to find.
As of March 2012, the collection includes more than 28,000 reports. Material is currently available from a number of current and former United States government agencies, including report series from the Atomic Energy Commission, Bureau of Mines, National Bureau of Standards, and National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, among others.
History of the Project
TRAIL started as a pilot project to digitize, preserve and make accessible a small collection of government agency technical reports, both as proof of concept and to work through technical and logistical issues. The University of Arizona submitted a proposal to Greater Western Library Alliance (GWLA) for a technical report digitization pilot and received funding in early 2006 to begin the project in collaboration with CRL. Led by Maliaca Oxnam of the University of Arizona, the GWLA/CRL Federal Technical Reports Task Force created the appropriate metadata schema, established a pilot search interface at the University of Hawaii and scanned the first complete series, the Monograph Series of the National Bureau of Standards.
TRAIL is now part of the Global Resource Network (GRN) within CRL.
The list of digitized series also includes decisions on series not digitized or considered. Decisions are current and subject to future reviews.
Completely digitized series include
- National Bureau of Standards Applied Mathematic Series
- National Bureau of Standards Building Materials and Structures Reports (C 13.9:)
- National Bureau of Standards Building Science Series
- United States Bureau of Mines Economic Papers
- United States Bureau of Mines Miners' Circular
- United States Bureau of Mines Mineral Issues
- United States Bureau of Mines Technical Progress Reports
Many other series are in progress, for example:
- Coast and Geodetic Survey United States Earthquakes [1928–62][1963-68](C 4.25/2:)
- National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics Aircraft Circulars
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service Technical Papers
- John B. Phillips won GODORT's James Bennett Childs Award and his involvement with TRAIL was mentioned among his contributions to the field.
- Maliaca Oxnam won the Homer I. Bernhardt Distinguished Service Award for creating, crafting, and successfully launching the TRAIL project among her other professional achievements.
- Maliaca Oxnam won the first annual Elsevier Library Connect Charleston Conference Award for first time presenters. Oxnam presented on TRAIL at the 2012 Charleston Conference at a session entitled “Moving Technical Reports Forward: New Roles for Libraries & Librarians” 
- Tim Byrne won the American Library Association GODORT's James Bennett Childs Award and his involvement with TRAIL was mentioned among his contributions to the field.
- Maliaca Oxnam was honored with the University of Arizona Outstanding University Achievement Award "...for her leadership of the Libraries' TRAIL, or Technical Report Archive & Image Library, Project." 
- Maliaca Oxnam won the LexisNexis/GODORT/ALA Documents to the People Award for her role in directing TRAIL.
Arizona State University / University of Arizona / University of Arkansas / Baylor University / Brigham Young University / University of British Columbia / California Institute of Technology / University of California, San Diego / University of Cincinnati / Colorado State University / University of Colorado / Georgia Institute of Technology / Harvard University / University of Houston / University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign / Indiana University / Iowa State University / University of Iowa / Kansas State University / University of Kansas / University of Massachusetts Amherst / Massachusetts Institute of Technology / University of Nevada, Las Vegas / University of New Mexico / University of North Texas / University of Notre Dame / Oklahoma State University / Oregon State University / Pennsylvania State University / Princeton University / Purdue University / Rice University / Stanford University / Texas A & M University / Texas Tech University / University of Texas at San Antonio / Utah State University / University of Utah / Washington State University / University of Washington /
- "Advancing Your Search: An Interview with Maliaca Oxnam", Engineering Village Newsletter, August 4, 2009, http://mail.elsevier-alerts.com/go.asp?/bEEI001/mECMDQ8/uJQ0Q4/xJEMMQ8
- "New TRAIL Database Gives Life to Historic Literature" at http://jeffline.jefferson.edu/aisrnews/?p=1556
- "Digitizing makes government reports more available to public." PHYSorg.com. 7 Jan 2011. http://phys.org/news/2011-01-digitizing.html
- Laura Sare (2011): Availability of Legacy Government Documents Online, Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 16:1-2, 55-66 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10875301.2011.582824).
- Gerry McKiernan. "TRAIL: Technical Reports Archives and Image Library" at http://ref-notes.blogspot.com/2008/11/trail-technical-reports-archives-and.html
- Mel DeSart. "Blazing a TRAIL: A Shared Vision and Collaboration Lead to Digitization, Open Access and Preservation of U.S. Government Technical Reports" http://jlsc-pub.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1042&context=jlsc
- Center for Research Libraries - TRAIL series list http://www.crl.edu/grn/trail/current-activities/series-list
- Daureen Nesdill "How the Agility of Librarians Led to the Development of TRAIL" http://www.sla.org/pdfs/sla2012/ContributedPapersTuesSessionDaureenNesdill.pdf
- "Providing OA to pre-1975 govt tech reports", Open Access News. http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2006/12/providing-oa-to-pre-1975-govt-tech.html
- "Announcing the 2012 GODORT Awards Winners" http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/Announcing_the_2012_GODORT_Awards_Winners
- "Maliaca Oxnam wins 2012 Library Connect Charleston Conference Award" http://libraryconnect.elsevier.com/articles/supporting-users-organizations/2012-10/maliaca-oxnam-wins-2012-library-connect-charleston
- "Announcing the 2011 GODORT Awards Winners" http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/Announcing_the_2011_GODORT_Awards_Winners
- "Announcing the 2010 GODORT Awards Winners" http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/Announcing_the_2010_GODORT_Awards_Winners
- Technical Report Archive & Image Library (TRAIL) search(searches TRAIL content at HathiTrust and UNT)
- HathiTrust Digital Library
- UNT Digital Library
- Greater Western Library Alliance
- TRAIL Collection Processing Database