Technological Educational Institute of the Ionian Islands
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2010)|
|Technological Educational Institute of the Ionian Islands|
|Τεχνολογικό Εκπαιδευτικό Ίδρυμα Ιονίων Νήσων|
|Location||Argostoli, Ionian Islands, Greece|
The Technological Educational Institute of Ionian Islands (Greek: Τεχνολογικό Εκπαιδευτικό Ίδρυμα (Τ.Ε.Ι.) Ιονίων Νήσων) is a fully self-governing higher-educational institute under state supervision, exercised by the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs. The institute is based in Argostoli on the island of Kefalonia, but only a few departments are based there. The Technological Educational Institute offers also postgraduate courses in collaboration with other universities in Greece and abroad.
The Ionian Islands have a long tradition in education. The Ionian Academy was the first university of modern Greece. In 1908 Panayis Athanase Vagliano donated the Agricultural School of Argostoli and in 1915 the Vallianos Vocational School in Lixouri. In 2003 these two schools and some others in the Ionian Islands were unified to the new TEI of the Ionian Islands.
Language of instruction
The language of instruction at the TEI of Ionian Islands is Greek. Therefore, a good knowledge of Greek is essential for regular students. However, special arrangements are made for certain number of courses for Erasmus students who wish to follow regular courses. After consultation with the teaching staff, students can register for a certain course and will have to study from English literature and be given a separate examination at the end of the term. Additionally, a few courses are taught in English and there are plans for some more.
- Department of Public Relations and Communication (Argostoli, Kefalonia) 
- Department of Organic Farming (Argostoli, Kefalonia) 
- Department of Sound and Musical Instrument Technology (Lixouri, Kefalonia) 
- Department of Business Administration (Lixouri, Kefalonia) 
- Department of Environmental Technology and Ecology (Zakynthos) 
- Department of Protection and Conservation of Cultural Heritage (Zakynthos) 
- Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (Lefkada) 
- Department of Applications of Information Technology in Administration and Economy (Lefkada) 
An external evaluation of all academic departments in Greek universities will be conducted by the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) in the following years. 
- Ionian University, a university located in Corfu, established in 1984.
- Ionian Academy, the first Greek academic institution established in modern times (1824).
- List of universities in Greece
- List of research institutes in Greece
- Department of Public Relations & Communication
- Department of Organic Farming and Food Technology
- Department of Sound and Musical Instruments Technology
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Environmental Technology and Ecology
- Department of Protection and Conservation of Cultural Heritage
- Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications
- Department of Applications of Information Technology in Administration and Economy
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency
- TEI of Ionian Islands - Official Webpage (Greek) (English)
- TEI of Ionian Islands - LLP/ERASMUS Office (Greek) (English)
- TEI of Ionian Islands - IEEE Student Branch page (Greek) (English)
- TEI of Ionian Islands Internal Quality Assurance Unit (Greek) (English)
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) (Greek) (English)
- "ATHENA" Plan for Higher Education (Greek)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (Greek) (English)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (Greek) (English)
- synnefo - Open Source Cloud Software (GRNET) (Greek) (English)