Technology & Engineering Emmy Award
|Technology and Engineering Emmy Award|
|Awarded for||Outstanding achievement in technical or engineering development|
A Technology and Engineering Emmy Award is given by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) for outstanding achievement in technical or engineering development. An award can be presented to an individual, a company, or to a scientific or technical organization for developments and/or standardization involved in engineering technologies which either represent so extensive an improvement on existing methods or are so innovative in nature that they materially have affected the transmission, recording, or reception of television. The award is determined by a special panel composed of highly qualified, experienced engineers in the television industry.
1) Development, Standardization And Productization Of The High Definition Serial Digital Interface
2) Personalized Recommendation Engines For Video Discovery
3) In-Camera Electronic Compensation For Lateral Chromatic Aberrations In External Lenses
4) Inexpensive Small Rugged HD Camcorders
5) Pioneering Wearable Camera Stabilizer Platforms
- Garrett Brown
6) Pioneering Analog Video Repositioner
- Steven Rutt
- Robert A. Diamond
7) Gesture Control Systems For Video And Games (Non-Touch Screen)
8) Pioneering Work In Implementation And Deployment Of Network DVR
9) Pioneering Development Of Video On Demand (VOD) Dynamic Advertising Insertion
10) Development And Standardization Of The MPEG-2 Transport Stream
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 Moving Picture Experts Group
1) Eco-system for Real Time Presentation of TV Content to Mobile Devices without the use of Specialized Television Hardware.
2) The Development and Commercialization of Analog Local Cable Video Ad Insertion.
3) The Development and Commercialization of Cable Interconnects for Local Video Ad Insertion
- Time Warner Cable
- NCC Media
4) The Development and Commercialization for Digital Infrastructure for Local Cable Ad Insertion
5) Pioneering On-Screen Interactive Program Guides.
- Insight (now Rovi Corporation)
6) Pioneering Development of Event Driven Control Room Automation Systems for Production of Live Television Shows, which Encompasses Full Control of Robotic Cameras, Audio, Graphics and Video Sources.
- Parkervision (Grass Valley)
7) Pioneering Development and Deployment of Aspect Ratio Control Technologies and Systems For Letterbox Images within Consumer Devices.
- Warner Brothers
- Sam Runco
8) Development of Electronic Mastering System for Large Scale Content Customization, Transcoding and Distribution.
- Warner Bros
- CBS Worldwide Distribution
9) Pioneering Development of Multi-Room DVR.
- Time Warner Cable
10) IRND Filter Technology for Digital Motion Picture Cameras.
- The Tiffen Company
- Schneider Optics Inc.
11) Improvements to Large Format CMOS Imagers for Use in High Definition Broadcast Video Cameras.
- Arnold & Richter Cine Technik (ARRI)
- Canon USA, INC
- RED Studios
- Sony Electronics
12) Lifetime Achievement Award
- Manolo Romero, Managing Director, Olympic Broadcasting Services
1) Local Cable Ad Insertion Technology - Cable Digital Standards for Local Cable Advertising
2) The System for Automated Migration of Media Assets
- Samma (Front Porch Digital)
3) Pioneering Development of Large-Venue, Large-Screen Direct View Color Video Displays
- Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc. - Diamond Vision Systems
- Shuji Nakamura, Professor / University of California - Santa Barbara
4) Pioneering Development and Deployment of Active Format Description and Aspect Ratio Control Technologies and Systems
- DTG - Digital TV Group
- NBC Universal
- Ericsson - Ericsson_Television
- Miranda Technologies
5) Development of Integrated, Deployable Systems for Live Reporting from Remote Environments
- David Bloom
- MTN Satellite Communications
6) Standardization of Loudness Metering for Use in Broadcast Audio
- ITU-R Study Group 6 / International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
- Communications Research Centre
- Dr. Gilbert Soulodre
- Craig Todd
7) Development of Professional Tapeless Portable Acquisition Systems Using Affordable Media
- Sony Corporation
8) Pioneering Development of Removable Solid State Media for Video Camera/Recorders (Camcorders)
- Panasonic Corporation
Lifetime Achievement Award in Technology and Engineering
- Sir Howard Stringer, Chairman and CEO of Sony Corporation
1. For Development and Production of Portable Tapeless Acquisition
- Avid Technology, Inc.
- Ikegami Co. LTD
2. The Belt Pack: Distributed Amplifier Systems in Live Production
- Stan Hubler
- Dough Leighton
- Bob Cohen
- Charlie Butten
- RTS Systems, Inc.
- Clearcom (HME)
3. Development of Wireless Intercom
- HME (HM Electronics, Inc.)
- RTS Systems, Inc.
4. Development of Audio Meta Data Process for conforming audio the ATSC digital TV standard
- Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
- Linear Acoustic, Inc.
5. Enabling Standards for the delivery of television via broadband data systems
6. HD Super Motion Systems for acquisition, recording and Playback for Broadcast Entertainment and Sports Productions
- NAC Image Technology, Inc.
- EVS Broadcast Equipment, Inc.
- Vision Research (An AMETEK® Company)
- Grass Valley Group
- Sony Corporation
7. Blue Laser Optical Systems for Consumer Playback
- Sony Corporation
- Royal Philips Electronics
- Panasonic Corporation
- TDK Corporation
For its Audience Measurement Technology System
- NIELSEN CORPORATION
For its Pioneering Development in Electronic Prompting
For its Pioneering Development of MSDC High Power Amplifiers
For its Pioneering Efforts in Development, Implementation of Network Distribution workflows for ATSC DTV Development
- FOX (Transmission Operations Center)
- PBS (The Public Broadcasting Service)
For The Development of NTSC Television
- THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
- CEA (Radio Manufacturers Association)
- THE NTSC
For Pioneering Development of Automatic Transmitter Identification for Satellite Television Communications
- HBO (Home Box Office)
- ELMER MUSSER
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Technology & Engineering
- Ivan G. Seidenberg, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Verizon Communications Inc.
- Development and Standardization of File Formats for Video and Audio
- Pioneering RF Combiners for Adjacent Channels on Common Antenna Systems
- Ongoing live global HD cinemacasting
- Developing HDMI
- Standardization of the ATSC Digital System
- Advisory Committee on Advanced Television Service
- Advanced Television System Committee
- Advanced Television Test Center
- Advanced Television Evaluation Laboratory
The Emmy Awards for Development… of interactive Video on Demand infrastructure and signaling, leading to large scale VOD implementations:
The Emmy Award for Coaxial cable technology:
The Emmy Award for Development and implementation of an integrated and portable IP-based live, edit and store-and-forward digital newsgathering system:
The advanced media technology winners for Science, Engineering & Technology for Broadband & Personal Television:
The Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for Best Use for Creation and Distribution of Interactive Commercial Advertising Delivered Through Digital Set Top Boxes:
The Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for Synchronous Enhancement of Original Television Content for Interactive Use (Two Screen Environment TV /PC or TV / Mobile Device):
The Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for Creation of Non-Traditional Programs or Platforms:
The Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for Best Use of Personal Media Display and Presentation Technology (PSP, Cell Phone, Personal Media Player, Mobile Devices):
The Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for Best Use of "On Demand" (Consumer Scheduled or Programmed) Technology Over Broadband Networks for Active "lean-forward" Viewing:
The Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for Best Use of "On Demand" for Passive "lean-backward" Viewing:
Following are the winners for Engineering & Technology for Creation and Implementation of Video Games and Platforms:
The Awards for Game Controller Innovation:
The Awards for Handheld Game Device Display Screen Innovation:
The Awards for User-Generated Content - Game Modification:
- Pinball Construction Set – Bill Budge & Electronic Arts
- Quake – John Carmack & id Software
- Second Life – Philip Rosedale & Linden Lab
The Award for Physics Engines:
The Awards for Development of Massively Multiplayer Online Graphical Role Playing Games (MMORPG):
- Neverwinter Nights – Don Daglow & Stormfront Studios, AOL-Time Warner, Wizards of the Coast,
- Everquest – Sony Online Entertainment
- World of Warcraft – Mike Morhaime & Blizzard Entertainment
The Awards for Visual Digital Content Creation Tools and their Impact:
SOURCE: National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
Pioneering Development of On Screen Display (OSD) for Setup, Control and Configuration of Consumer Television Equipment
Streaming Media Architectures and Components
- Adobe Systems Inc.
Pioneering Development for Combining Multiple Transport Streams Which Are Already Encoded, Using Rate-Shaping and Statistical Re-multiplexing
- Terayon Communication Systems, Inc.
Development and Implementation of Automatically Assembled Dynamic Customized TV Advertising
- Visible World
- The Weather Channel
Technology Advances in Serial Digital Interface Solutions, Enabling Over 20 Years of Seamless Studio and Broadcast Infrastructure Migration
- Gennum Corporation
Privately Owned and Operated International Satellite Company Primarily for International Video Services
- Rene Anselmo, PanAmSat
Advanced Media Technology for the Synchronous Enhancement of Original Television Content
- DirecTV Interactive Sports – DirecTV
Advanced Media Technology for the Non-Synchronous Enhancement of Original Television Content
- The-N.com Video Mixer – The N
Advanced Media Technology for the Creation of Non-Traditional Programs or Platforms
- The Slingbox – Sling Media
Advanced Media Technology for the Best Use of Personal Media Display and Presentation Technology
- Xross Media Bar – Sony Computer Entertainment
Advanced Media Technology for the Best Use of “On Demand” Technology Over Private (closed) Networks
- Time Warner Cable’s Start Over – Time Warner Cable
- Concurrent Computer Corp.
- Big Band Networks
- Harmonic Inc.
- Scientific Atlanta.
Advanced Media Technology for the Best Use of “On Demand” Technology Over the Public (open) Internet
- Stim TV – NPOWR
Advanced Media Technology for Best Use by Commercials in Creation and Use in Non Traditional Platforms and Technologies
- TiVo Interactive Advertising Platform – TiVo Inc.
Peripheral Development and Technological Impact of Video Game Controllers
- Nintendo, for the D-pad innovation on the NES/Famicon controller
- Sony Computer Entertainment America, for the Dual Shock Analog Controller.
Development of 3D Software Engines
- John Carmack
- id Software
Pioneering Work in Near and Real-Time Fully Programmable Shading Via Modern Graphics Processors
- NVIDIA Corporation
- RCA-TTE, For Pioneering Development of On Screen Display (OSD) for Setup, Control and Configuration of Consumer Television Equipment
- Microsoft, Adobe Systems, RealNetworks, and Apple Computer, Inc., For Streaming Media Architectures and Components
- Terayon Communication Systems, Inc., For pioneering Development for Combining Multiple ransport Streams Which Are Already Encoded, Using Rate-Shaping and Statistical Re-multiplexing
- Visible World and The Weather Channel, For Development and Implementation of automatically Assembled Dynamic Customized TV Advertising
- Gennum Corp., For Technology Advances in Serial Digital Interface Solutions, enabling Over 20 Years of Seamless Studio and Broadcast Infrastructure migration.
- The-N.com (a website associated with The N television channel) for Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Non-Synchronous Enhancement of Original Television Programming, for the Video Masher.
- Ampex and ABC, For slow-motion color recording and playback for broadcast
- ABC, PBS, and Consumer Electronics Association, For closed caption standardization
- The WB and IBM, For pioneering development of locally integrated and branded content using IP Store and forward technology
- Canon USA Inc., Fujinon, and Thales Angeniux, For lens technology developments for solid state imagers cameras in high definition formats
- AT&T For the first intercontinental satellite TV transmission.
- Sharp, for development of Direct View Liquid Crystal Display Screens
- Philips, for development of UHP Lamps
- Len Reiffel, for pioneering efforts in the invention of the Telestrator
- Echostar and DirecTV for pioneering Efforts in the Development of Spot Beam Satellites for Distribution of Local Broadcast Channels Directly to Home Receivers
- nCUBE, Concurrent, and SeaChange, for development, productization, and commercialization of video server technology leading to large-scale VOD implementations
- Turner Networks For Pioneering Efforts in the Development of Automated, Server-Based Closed Captioning Systems. Development was performed by XOrbit, also awarded.
- Thales Broadcast & Multimedia For Pioneering Development of Digital Modulator Adaptive Pre-Correction for ATSC 8VSB Digital Transmitter Systems
- Thomson Broadcast & Media Solutions For Development And Application Of Sub-Pixel Imaging Devices For Television Cameras
- Dolby Laboratories, Jim Fosgate, and Peter Scheiber For Development of Surround Sound for Television
- Texas Instruments DLP Products For Pioneering Development of mass-produced digital reflective imaging technology for consumer rear projection television
- Dr. Kees Immink For Coding Technology for Optical Recording Formats
- Pinnacle Systems (Montage) and Thomson Broadcast & Media Solutions For Technology to simultaneously encode multiple video qualities and the corresponding metadata
- Plasma display by Donald Bitzer. This revolutionized the television.
- Final Cut Pro by Apple Inc. A one application, any format editing system.
- Boujou Automated Camera Tracker by 2d3 Ltd. This innovation provides automatic shot tracking in a fraction of the usual time.
- Arriflex Cameras by ARRI Inc. A Lifetime Achievement Award goes to this organization for fifty years of technological contributions to the industry.
- TM Systems, for their language translation, dubbing and subtitling system.
- Proximity Corporation for software for managing graphical assets for broadcast.
- Digital upconverter by BBC, Faroudja, Leitch and YEM.
- Personal video recorder by TiVo and Replay.
- SFQ transmitter by Rohde & Schwarz.
- Consumer camcorders by Sony, JVC, Hitachi, Matsushita and Kodak.
- 24p by Sony, LaserPacific and Kodak.
- Flat-screen CRT by Sony and Zenith.
- Shared video-data-storage system by Leitch/ASC, SeaChange, Thomson/Philips and Pinnacle.
- Digital asset management for television news by KGO-TV, CNN, ITN and Quantel.
- "Technology and Engineering Emmy Award: Scope and Procedures". National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- Emmy Awards 2012 http://www.emmyonline.tv/mediacenter/tech_2k11_winners.html
- Emmy Awards 2011 http://www.emmyonline.tv/mediacenter/tech_2k10_winners.html
- Emmy Awards 2010 http://www.emmyonline.tv/mediacenter/tech_2k9_winners.html
- http://emmyonline.org/mediacenter/tech_2k7_winners.html. Missing or empty
- Dubbing biz goes modern — Variety magazine, 22 September 2002.
- Kerschbaumer, Ken (October 21, 2001). "2001 Tech Emmy Awards". Broadcasting & Cable (NewBay Media, LLC.). Retrieved 2011-04-14.
- Official website
- Outstanding Achievement in Technical/Engineering Development Awards, from 1948 to 2006