Ted Jensen, 2013
September 19, 1954 |
New Haven, Connecticut
|Associated acts||Billy Joel, Green Day, Talking Heads, Norah Jones, Mastodon, Bring Me The Horizon, Pat Metheny, Behemoth|
Ted Jensen was born into a musical family in New Haven, Connecticut on Sept. 19, 1954 to Carl and Margaret (Anning) Jensen, both of whom were musicians and teachers. Carl did not finish high school, however was accepted into Yale University "on merit" and in 1922 received a degree in Music Theory from the Yale School of Music. Margaret went to Oberlin College & Conservatory and Skidmore College and was also a pilot. Carl and Margaret met on a train while going to a music conference and were married a short time later. Ted has one brother, Rick, and two daughters, Kristen and Kim. While attending Hamden High School in Hamden, Connecticut, Jensen played the trumpet in the high school band. By the time he was 16, Jensen was building his own stereo and recording equipment and began recording local bands both in the studio and at live events. During this time, he recorded several performances for the Yale Symphony Orchestra at Woolsey Hall in New Haven and also met Mark Levinson, who was starting an audio equipment company. Jensen joined up with Levinson and aided in the design and manufacture some of the early products of Mark Levinson Audio Systems. Jensen left Levinson to begin his mastering career in New York City with Sterling Sound in 1976.
There were three mastering engineers at Sterling Sound when Jensen was hired to work in the tape copy room, George Marino, Lee Hulko and Greg Calbi. Calbi started at Sterling the month before Jensen was hired. One of Jensen's earliest mastering jobs was the first single by the Talking Heads, "Love → Building on Fire" and later that year, Jensen mastered The Eagles' Hotel California. The following year, he mastered Billy Joel's The Stranger, which began a working relationship with Phil Ramone. Jensen was promoted to Chief Mastering Engineer at Sterling in 1984, and since then has overseen several proprietary developments in mastering technology. This included working closely with Graham Boswell of Neve Electronics in the mid-1980s in developing the first all-digital mastering console, the DTC-1, and as one of the consultants to Apple for Mastering for iTunes. Jensen also designed some of the studio monitors at Sterling, including the ones used by Tom Coyne. In 1998, Jensen, Greg Calbi and Tom Coyne, along with Murat Aktar (Absolute Audio co-founder) and UK based Metropolis, purchased Sterling Sound from previous owner, Lee Hulko.
Sterling Sound is located in New York City, occupying the top floor of the Chelsea Market in the Meatpacking District. Jensen's studio is one of the three surround sound studios at Sterling Sound. It was designed by Fran Manzella, FM Design.
Awards and Recognition
Since 1976, Jensen has mastered 16 Grammy Award winners in the categories of Record of the Year, Album of the Year and Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical. In 2002, Mastering Engineers became eligible to win Grammys.
Jensen has garnered 20 Mix Foundation TEC award nominations, winning 5 of them.
• 1999 – Outstanding Creative Achievement
In total, Ted Jensen has mastered more than 2500 albums for more than 1100 pop and rock artists.
- 1976 Hotel California - The Eagles
- 1977 The Stranger - Billy Joel
- 1977 Foot Loose & Fancy Free - Rod Stewart
- 1977 Hourglass – James Taylor
- 1978 52nd Street – Billy Joel
- 1978 But Seriously Folks… - Joe Walsh Some Girls – The Rolling Stones
- 1981 Ghost in the Machine – The Police
- 1983 Madonna - Madonna
- 1983 Speaking in Tongues – Talking Heads
- 1984 Valotte - Julian Lennon
- 1986 Back in the High Life – Steve Winwood
- 1992 Unplugged – Eric Clapton
- 1992 Secret Story - Pat Metheny
- 1993 Duets – Frank Sinatra
- 1994 Under the Table and Dreaming – Dave Matthews Band
- 1994 Philadelphia – Original Soundtrack
- 1994 Hell Freezes Over – The Eagles
- 1994 Far Beyond Driven - Pantera
- 1995 Let's Go Bang - Jennifer Love Hewitt
- 1997 Around the Fur - Deftones
- 1999 Supernatural – Carlos Santana
- 2003 One Quiet Night – Pat Metheny
- 2003 American Idiot - Green Day
- 2005 The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
- 2006 Black Cadillac – Rosanne Cash
- 2008 Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King - Dave Matthews Band
- 2009 Vintage Vinos - Keith Richards
- 2010 Diamond Eyes - Deftones
- 2012 The Second Law - Muse
- 2013 Highway Don't Care – Tim McGraw
- 2013 Mechanical Bull - Kings of Leon Blak and Blu – Gary Clark Jr.
- 2013 The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here - Alice in Chains
- 2013 New – Paul McCartney
- 2013 Reflektor – Arcade Fire
- 2013 Sempiternal – Bring Me the Horizon
- 2014 Fading West - Switchfoot
- 2014 Ghost Stories - Coldplay
- 2014 Once More 'Round the Sun - Mastodon
- 2014 The Satanist - Behemoth
- 2014 World on Fire - Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators
- 2015 Live at Budokan: Red Night & Black Night Apocalypse - Babymetal
Catalog remastering includes: The Beatles (The Capitol Albums), Billy Joel, Eagles, Joe Walsh, AC/DC, Bob Marley, James Brown, Cat Stevens
Television and Video Documentaries
- 2005 A Supernatural Evening with Carlos Santana (TV Special)
- 2003 Pearl Jam: Live at the Garden (Video documentary)
- 2002 Nickelback: Live at Home (Video documentary) (surround)
- 2001 AC/DC: Stiff Upper Lip Live (Video documentary) (surround mixing)
- 2001 Pearl Jam: Touring Band 2000 (Video documentary)
- 1999 Madonna: The Video Collection 93:99
- 1999 SNL: 25 Years of Music (TV Movie) (mastering)
- Jensen, Margaret. "Obituary Notice for Margaret Jensen". http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nhregister/obituary.aspx?pid=165917127. New Haven Register. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Catalogue of the officers and graduates of Yale University. 1921. p. 654.
- Jensen, Margaret. "Obituary". http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nhregister/obituary.aspx?pid=165917127.
- "Interview with Mark Levinson". Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- "George Marino". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Lee Hulko". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Greg Calbi". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- Boswell. "Prism Sound: A brief history". audio-times.com. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "Tom Coyne". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- "Mix Magazine". Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- Billboard Sept 26, 1998, p. 148, at Google Books
- "The World's Top 13 Mastering Studios". http://blog.landr.com/the-worlds-top-13-mastering-studios/#.U9vsN4BdURa. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Manzella, Fran. "FM Design". http://www.fmdesign.com/2013/mastering/. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Jensen, Ted. Billboard Magazine. http://books.google.com/books?id=jQ0EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA46&dq=%22Ted+Jensen%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_0DNU4_mF46KyATf9oHgCw&ved=0CEwQ6AEwCDgK#v=onepage&q=%22Ted%20Jensen%22&f=false.
- "45th Annual Grammy Awards Winners".
- "Tec Awards Past Winners". http://legacy.tecawards.org/tec/past_winners.html. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "TEC Awards 2005 winners". Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- "TEC Awards 2008 Winners".
- "2010 TEC Awards Winners". Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- "Ted Jensen". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-06-26.
- Beatles, The – Capitol Albums Vol. 1 at Discogs Retrieved 2014-06-27.