Ted Leo performing at the 2006 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival
|Birth name||Theodore Francis Leo|
September 11, 1970 |
South Bend, Indiana, United States
|Genres||Punk rock, art punk, pop punk, indie rock, hardcore punk, thrashcore, mod revival, power pop|
|Occupations||Singer, songwriter, guitarist|
|Labels||Ace Fu, Gern Blandsten, Lookout!, Touch and Go, Matador Records|
|Associated acts||Citizens Arrest, Chisel, The Sin-Eaters, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Aimee Mann, The Both|
Ted Leo (born Theodore F. Leo on September 11, 1970, in South Bend, Indiana), is an American punk rock/indie rock songwriter and multi-instrumentalist who has played in the bands Citizens Arrest, Chisel, The Sin-Eaters, The Spinanes, and Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. He has also kept up a consistent presence as a solo performer since the late 1990s.
Though born in Indiana, Leo grew up in Bloomfield, New Jersey, where his family is from, and spent many formative years in the hardcore punk scene of New York City during the 1980s and early 1990s. He graduated from Seton Hall Preparatory School in West Orange in 1988 and the University of Notre Dame in the fall of 1993 with a degree in English. His brothers Chris Leo and Danny Leo are also singer-songwriters, and members of Native Nod, The Lapse, The Van Pelt, Vague Angels and Holy Childhood. He is a vegan.
- Puzzlehead 7" (1991)
With Animal Crackers
- Split 7" with Whipped (1991)
- Self Titled 4 Song 7" on Thrashing Mad Records
With Citizens Arrest
- A Light In The Distance 88–90 (1995)
- Soaked in Others Blood (2011)
- Nothing New (April 1995; Gern Blandsten)
- 8 A.M. All Day (January 1996; Gern Blandsten)
- Set You Free (April 1997; Gern Blandsten)
With Hell No
- Reformer 7" (1991)
- Skin Job Lp (1992)
- "Hell No" (1992)
With Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
- tej leo(?), Rx / pharmacists (September 1999; Gern Blandsten)
- Treble in Trouble (September 2000; Ace Fu Records)
- The Tyranny of Distance (June 2001; Lookout! Records)
- Hearts of Oak (February 2003; Lookout! Records)
- Tell Balgeary, Balgury Is Dead (October 2003; Lookout! Records)
- Shake the Sheets (October 2004; Lookout! Records)
- Living with the Living (March 2007; Touch & Go Records)
- Rapid Response (September 2008; Touch & Go Records)
- The Brutalist Bricks (March 2010; Matador Records) U.S. #114
With The Both
- The Both (April 2014; SuperEgo Records)
- This Bird Has Flown – A 40th Anniversary Tribute to the Beatles' Rubber Soul (October 2005; Razor & Tie)
- Williams, Michael  "Ted Leo Takes over T.T"
- Eanet, Lindsay  "Ted Leo talks music, politics, Esurance girl]
- Lomax, John Nova. "Gang of New Jersey: Ted Leo and the Pharmacists mingle rampant Europhilia with American Girl", The Village Voice, April 16, 2007. Accessed December 25, 2007. "Bloomfield, Leo's hometown, is just west of New York City and just north of Newark."
- Almond, Steve. "Ted Leo", New Times Broward-Palm Beach, March 29, 2007. Accessed March 10, 2011. "It's virtually impossible to figure out how Ted Leo became, you know, Ted Leo. Born in Bloomfield, New Jersey, Leo graduated from Seton Hall Prep and received a degree in English from Notre Dame. He is now a strict vegan and plays socially conscious punk music."
- PETA2  "Ted Leo's Living With The Living"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ted Leo.|