|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Florida's 3rd district
January 3, 2013
|Preceded by||Corrine Brown|
April 13, 1955 |
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.
|Alma mater||Broward College
University of Florida
|Occupation||Large animal veterinarian|
Theodore Scott "Ted" Yoho (born April 13, 1955) is the United States Representative for Florida's 3rd congressional district since 2013. He is a member of the Republican Party. In the 2012 Republican primary election for the district, Yoho pulled a major upset against long term, incumbent, U.S. Congressman Cliff Stearns, who was first elected in 1988. Yoho has been a veterinarian for the past 28 years, serving the North Central Florida area.
Early life, education, and veterinarian career
Yoho was born in Minnesota in 1955. At the age of 11 he moved with his family to Florida. He earned a Bachelors in Agriculture at the University of Florida. He attended the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine. He is a member of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Florida Veterinary Medical Association, Florida Association of Equine Practitioners, Florida Cattlemen’s Association, and the National Rifle Association.
U.S. House of Representatives
Yoho ran for the newly-redrawn Florida's 3rd congressional district. In the Republican primary he defeated longtime incumbent U.S. Congresssman Cliff Stearns (who was first elected in 1988), State Senator Steve Oelrich, and Clay County Clerk of Court James Jett 34%-33%-19%-14%. Yoho defeated Stearns by 829 votes, or a 1.1 percentage point margin. Yoho won 11 of the district’s 13 counties. Stearns only carried, Marion, his home county, and Clay County. Stearns had endorsements from U.S. Representatives Paul Ryan, Michele Bachmann, and Allen West. Yoho supports reduction in taxes: replacing the current tax code with the flat tax, reducing corporate tax rates, and eliminating federal programs that cannot be balanced with revenues. According to the CBO, there would still be a deficit even if all discretionary spending (all Federal programs except pensions, Medicare and Social Security) were stopped. Yoho is for reducing spending and reducing taxes, though has not yet introduced a plan that will lead to a balanced budget.
Yoho also is opposed to raising the debt ceiling unless significant spending cuts are made; he is also opposed to earmarks in legislation. His district is one of the lowest-taxed in Florida, located primarily within Suwanee River Management District (lower proportion of property taxes), per capita retail sales in the district are significantly lower than the state average, and it has the fewest number of non-farm related businesses of Florida's congressional districts. Yoho has not made any indication on his level support of the farm bill.
Yoho won the November general election, 65% to 32%, against Democratic candidate J.R. Gaillot, and took office on January 3, 2013. He is a member of the Tea Party Caucus and the House Liberty Caucus.
- Committee on Agriculture
- Committee on Foreign Affairs
Yoho and his wife, Carolyn, have three children: Katie, Lauren, and Tyle.
- Ted Yoho. "About Ted". Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- "About Ted | Ted Yoho for Congress | Florida's 3rd District". Tedyoho.com. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "AP Election Results | Campaign 2012 | C-SPAN". Hosted.ap.org. 2012-08-16. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Ted Yoho Qualifies and Formally Announces Candidacy". Cedar Key News. 2012-02-20.
- "Who is Ted Yoho?". Politico.Com. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- Dixon, Matt. "Shocker in U.S. House 3: Ted Yoho upsets 12-term incumbent Cliff Stearns". jacksonville.com. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Issues | Ted Yoho for Congress | Florida's 3rd District". Tedyoho.com. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "CBO | The U.S. Federal Budget: Infographic". Cbo.gov. 2011-12-12. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "Ted Yoho - Political Positions - - Project Vote Smart". Votesmart.org. 2012-08-14. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "County Business and Demographics Interactive Map - US Census Bureau". Census.gov. 2012-08-27. Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- "2012 Election Results â€" Presidential, Senate & Congressional Races - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Thompson, Bill (2012-10-19). "3-way race for District 3, new congressman assured (Ted Yoho, J.R. Gallot, Phillip Dodds)". Gainesville.com. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Ted Yoho role on the government shutdown of October 2013 Esquire magazine
- Congressman Ted Yoho official U.S. House website
- Ted Yoho for Congress
- Ted Yoho on the Open Directory Project
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Legislation sponsored at The Library of Congress
|United States House of Representatives|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Florida's 3rd congressional district
|United States order of precedence (ceremonial)|
|United States Representatives by seniority