Tehri Dam lake Panorama
|Founded by||King Sudarshan Shah(New Tehri by THDC )|
|• Body||New Tehri Nagar Palika (President Umesh Charan Gusai (Independent candidate)From 30.04.2013 till date.|
|Elevation||1,750 m (5,740 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Tehri is a city and a municipal board in Tehri Garhwal District in the Indian state of Uttarakhand.It is the administrative seat of Tehri Garhwal District. This urban municipality area has 14 wards,from Vasant Vihar to Vishwakarma Puram(Koti colony). Mr. Umesh Charan Gusain is Chairman of Nagar Palika New Tehri. He won this position as an independent candidate and defeat the Indian National Congress candidate. He is the only Chairman who won this seat continuously two times in 61 years. New Tehri comes under Tehri assembly seat of Uttrakhand and Tehri Lok Sabha seat of India which are represented by Mr Dinesh Dhanai(Independent)& Maharani Raj Laxmi Shah (Bhartiya Janta Party) respectively.
The old town of Tehri lies at the confluence of the Bhagirathi and Bhilangna rivers, the site of the Tehri dam. In the eighteenth century the ships of the East India Company would call at the port city of Tehri. The town of Tehri was evacuated to make space for the Tehri dam, and the population has been shifted to the town of New Tehri. The town is famous as the site of protests against the dam by Sundarlal Bahuguna and his followers during the Chipko movement.
Tehri was the capital of the princely state of Tehri Garhwal (Garhwal Kingdom) in British India, which had an area of 4,180 square miles (10,800 km2), and a population of 268,885 in 1901. It adjoined the district of Garhwal, and its topographical features are similar. It contained the sources of both the Ganges and the Yamuna, which are visited by thousands of Hindu pilgrims. The location of Tehri Dam, which is Asia's largest man made lake, has totally submerged the old tehri town and now headquarter of tehri district is known as New Tehri. This lake is 260 metters deep and having potential to produce 2400 MW electricity along with great importance for North India which provides great volume of water for cultivation and for daily use. This lake is now becoming a great tourist destination in fact the view from New Tehri of this lake is spectacular.
As of 2001[update] India census, Tehri had a population of 25,425. Males constitute 65% of the population and females 35%. Tehri has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81%, and female literacy is 71%. In Tehri, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Tehri district has lot of option for tourists to spend their leisure. This division contains lot of options for tourism and has lot of religious places. Most visited places of Tehri are Devi koonjapuri temple and chandrabadni and Tracking route of Mahasar taal, Sehstra taal and Khatling glacier is very much popular amongst foreigner tourists and are being developed. Some areas of tehri are viewable but neglected by Uttrakhand Government such places are Panwali Kantha,Belhbagi Bugyal and Khait parvat, here no attention is given by government but these places have potential to attract tourists for mountaineering.New district headquarter New Tehri can be looked as a future tourist spot here view of spectacular tehri lake can be viewed.
List Of All Tourist Places Is Given Below.
|Tourist Spot||Height From Sea Level in Meters||Nearby Town||Tracking route (Distance from road)|
|Kunjapuri||1645||Narendra Nagar||200 Meters|
|Panwali Kantha||3963||Ghuttu||15 Km|
|Khatling Glacier||3717||Ghuttu||45 Km|
|Sahastra Tal||4572||Ghuttu, Rih||32 Km|
|Khait Parvat||3030||Ghansali, Ghonti||8.5 Km|
|Surkanda Devi||2757||Dhanaulti||1.5 Km|
|Maithiyana Devi||2500||Tilwara, Bhardar||9 Km|
Universities,Professional Institute & Schools.
- HNB Garhwal Centre University,Badshahi Thaul, New Tehri
- Sridev Suman University,Badshahi Thaul, New Tehri.
- Govt. PG college, New Tehri
- THDC Institute Of Hydro Engineering, B. Puram, New Tehri.
- College of Forestry & Hill Agriculture, Uttarakhand University of Horticulture and Forestry P.O. Ranichauri,New Tehri
- Sanskrit Maha Vidhlaya, New Tehri.
- Govt. Poly Technic New Tehri.
- ITI New Tehri
- Govt, Pratap Inter College, Baurari, New Tehri
- Govt, Pratap Inter College, Moldhar, New Tehri
- Govt. Girls Inter College,Baurai New Tehri
- Narendra Mahila Vidhayalay(Rajmata), B Puram New Tehri
- Sarswati Vidhya Mandir, Inter College, New Tehri
- Kendriya Vidhyalaya, New Tehri
- All Saint Convent School New Tehri.
- Sarswati Shishu Mandir,New Tehri.
- Govt. Girls High School, New Tehri.
- New Tehri International School, Painula, New Tehri
- Bhagirathi vidhya Sarovar New Tehri.
- Saint Anthony School, New Tehri.
- New Tehri Medical College(Opening Shortly)
- Rajeev Gandhi Adventure Sports Academy,Koti Colony,New Tehri(Inaugurated on 7th Nov 2012).
- Delhi Public School, New Tehri (Opening Shortly)
- "The Ganga". Official Website of district Haridwar, Uttarakhand. National Informatics Centre, Haridwar District Unit. Retrieved 8 March 2010.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/wire-news/uttarakhand-to-setmedical-college-universitynew-tehri_623067.html http://www.rediff.com/money/2009/feb/20eco-tourism-hub-around-tehri-dam.htm http://www.business-standard.com/generalnews/news/cm-holds-review-meeting-to-boost-development-in-ukhand/37129/ http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/dehradun/84945-tourism-infra-around-tehri-to-get-big-boost-soon.html http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/dehradun/107395-adventure-sport-to-be-promoted-in-tehri-lake-cm.html http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-11-07/others/34971709_1_vijay-bahuguna-foundation-stone-chief-minister pilot suraj negi
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tehri.|
- Nagar Palika Parishad Tehri (New Tehri)
- Malgoan Ghansali New Tehri - How To Reach
- New Tehri city, Official website
- Tehri district, Official website
- New Tehri - How To Reach
- New Tehri - General Information