|Born||12 August 1914
Faisalabad, Punjab, British India
|Died||21 December 2007
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Spouse(s)||Harivansh Rai Bachchan (1907–2003; his death)|
Teji Bachchan (Punjabi: ਤੇਜੀ ਬਚੱਨ (Gurmukhi), تیجی بچن (Shahmukhi); Hindi: तेजी बच्चन) (12 August 1914 – 21 December 2007), the wife of Hindi poet Harivansh Rai Bachchan and mother of Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan, was a social activist. She was also known to be a confidant of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
Bachchan became a home maker and lover of stage. During his lifetime, Harivansh remained completely engrossed in his muse, leaving his wife to handle all family matters. Even in social engagements, the poet willingly played second fiddle to his gregarious wife.
She was also appointed as one of the Directors of the Film Finance Corporation in 1973. The Film Finance Corporation of India (and its successor National Film Development Corporation of India), a Government of India undertaking's main objective was to finance the production of purposeful films of good quality with a view to improving the general standards of the medium.
Teji Bachchan was in the Lilavati Hospital for almost the whole of 2007 and she was shifted to the ICU in November 2007 after her condition became worse. She died at the age of 93 on 21 December 2007 after prolonged illness.
- "Teji Bachchan: Indira's friend". Sify. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- India, Frontier (13 January 2011). "Amitabh Bachchan reminisenses his mothers lohri festival stories". in.com. p. 1. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- "Amitahb Bachchan". IMDb. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "The poets poem". Express India. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Nation". The Tribune. 20 January 2003. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- Brief encounters with Mrs Teji Bachchan
- "Amitabh's mother Teji Bachchan hospitalised". Express India. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Teji Bachchan passes away". Indiatimes. 21 December 2007. Retrieved 21 July 2011.