Tekken Advance (鉄拳アドバンス Tekken Adobansu?) is a fighting game released for the Game Boy Advance. It is non-canonical to the Tekken storyline, but follows the events of Tekken 3. It uses sprites based on Tekken 3 's 3D models for its characters. It was the first Tekken game to be released on a Nintendo platform.
The gameplay in Tekken Advance is similar to other games in the series, but because it is on a portable system, the inputs were simplified or removed altogether. It utilizes a single-input system, with punch mapped to the A button, kick to the B button, and the left and right triggers used for tagging and throws, respectively. The game also included a side-step feature that made the game have a 3D feel similar to Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, which was released later the same year.
Despite the simplification, Tekken Advance introduces new mechanics by implementing a wide range of "stun" variations such as "pop stuns", "crumple stuns" and right/left stuns.
- Ling Xiaoyu
- Nina Williams
- Forest Law
- Gun Jack
- Heihachi Mishima (unlockable)
- Paul Phoenix
- Jin Kazama
Tekken Advance has generally received positive reviews. It received an 8.5 out of 10 from IGN and an 8 out of 10 from GameSpot saying "It looks and feels close enough to its counterpart to succeed." GameRankings currently scores the game as 79 out of 100. Gamespy gave it a much more favourable score with 88 out of 100, calling it an impressive game for the Game Boy Advance. EGM gave it a mediocre score with 5.83 out of 10. Nintendo Power gave the game a 3.5 out of 5.
- Craig Harris. "Tekken Advance - Game Boy Advance Review at IGN". Gameboy.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (2002-01-28). "Tekken Advance Review". GameSpot.com. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Tekken Advance for Game Boy Advance". GameRankings. 2002-01-28. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Christopher Buecheler email@example.com (2008-10-20). "GameSpy.com - Reviews: Tekken Advance (GBA)". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Tekken Advance Reviews and Articles for Game Boy Advance". GameRankings. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Official website (Japanese)