|Licence data||US FDA:|
|Pregnancy cat.||C (US)|
|Legal status||℞-only (US)|
| (what is this?)
On 19 October 2007, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an approvable letter for telavancin. Its developer, Theravance, submitted a complete response to the letter, and the FDA has assigned a Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) target date of 21 July 2008.
On 19 November 2008, an FDA antiinfective drug advisory committee concluded that they would recommend telavancin be approved by the FDA.
Theravance has also submitted telavancin to the FDA in a second indication, nosocomial pneumonia, sometimes referred to as hospital-acquired pneumonia, or HAP. On 30 November 2012, an FDA advisory panel endorsed approval of a once-daily formulation of telavancin for nosocomial pneumonia when other alternatives are not suitable. However, telavancin did not win the advisory committee's recommendation as first-line therapy for this indication. The committe indicated that the trial data did not prove "substantial evidence" of telavancin's safety and efficacy in hospital-acquired pneumonia, including ventilator-associated pneumonia caused by Gram-positive organisms Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pneumoniae.
Mechanism of action 
Like vancomycin, telavancin inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis by binding to the D-Ala-D-Ala terminus of the peptidoglycan in the growing cell wall (see Pharmacology and chemistry of vancomycin). In addition, it disrupts bacterial membranes by depolarization.
Adverse effects 
- Astellas, Inc. VIBATIV prescribing information, 9/2009.
- Higgins, DL; Chang, R; Debabov, DV; Leung, J; Wu, T; Krause, KM; Sandvik, E; Hubbard, JM et al. (2005). "Telavancin, a Multifunctional Lipoglycopeptide, Disrupts both Cell Wall Synthesis and Cell Membrane Integrity in Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus". Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 49 (3): 1127–1134. doi:10.1128/AAC.49.3.1127-1134.2005. PMC 549257. PMID 15728913.
- "Theravance and Astellas Announce FDA Approval of Vibativ (telavancin) for the Treatment of Complicated Skin and Skin Structure Infections" (Press release). Theravance, Inc. and Astellas Pharma US, Inc. 2009-09-11. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- "Drugs.com, FDA Accepts for Review Response to Approvable Letter for Telavancin". Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- [http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/biotech/2012/11/theravance-vibativ-pneumonia.html FDA advisory group gives mixed review of Theravance pneumonia treatment . 30 Nov 2012] American City Business Journals/San Francisco/BiotechSF blog
- H. Spreitzer (2 February 2009). "Neue Wirkstoffe - Telavancin". Österreichische Apothekerzeitung (in German) (3/2009).
- Saravolatz LD, Stein GE, Leonard B. Johnson LB. "Telavancin: a novel lipoglycopeptide". Clinical Infectious Diseases 49 (12): 1908–1914. doi:10.1086/648438.
|This systemic antibacterial-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|