Telecare (TV channel)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|Owned by||Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Slogan||The Best in Catholic Television!|
|Broadcast area||New York, New Jersey, Connecticut|
|Headquarters||Uniondale, New York|
|Formerly called||TeLIcare (1969 - 1996)|
|Cablevision (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut)||Channel 29/137|
|Verizon FiOS TV (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut)||Channel 296|
|Also available on selected cable systems nationwide||Check local listings for channels|
Telecare is an American TV channel available to Cablevision and Verizon FiOS subscribers in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Founded in 1969 by Monsignor Thomas Hartman of the Diocese of Rockville Centre in New York. Telecare broadcasts programming relevant to Catholic viewers, including live religious services, talk shows, devotional programs, educational programming, entertainment, and children's programs. It also presents coverage of special events at the Vatican and of papal journeys.
Telecare operates with the mission of spreading God's word through its religious and educational Catholic programming to people of faith wherever they may be. The purpose of Telecare's mission is to bring people of the Catholic faith, indeed all people, closer to God. Telecare is a non-profit organization and includes a link at the top of their website which allows supporters to donate to this cause. Telecare broadcasts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
History of Telecare
For over 40 years Telecare has been providing millions of people with value-oriented Catholic television. Beginning as a local diocesan station aiming to bring celebration of the Eucharist to families in the Long Island area, Telecare is now the most popular source for religious television in the tri-state area. For those who are hospitalized or homebound, Telecare may be the only medium through which they can actively enjoy their faith. Parochial schools exist through Telecare providing religious education for grades K-8. Every year Telecare broadcasts over 1,000 programs including live daily masses from St. Agnes Cathedral and daily opportunities to join in on their Holy Rosary and Devine Mercy Chaplet. In 2009, Telecare became the nation's only media outlet for the annual U.S. Bishop's General Assembly, the official leadership body of the Roman Catholic Church in the U.S. 
Monsignor Thomas J. Hartman is the founder and now current CEO Emeritus of Telecare. He possesses an undergraduate degree in Philosophy, a graduate degree in Theology, a Master of Divinity, and a Doctor of Ministry. He has appeared on programs with persons such as Wolf Blitzer and Bill O'Reilly. He has written several children's books; one of which was made into an animated special winning the George Foster Peabody Award. He has also won four Emmy Award's. In addition, Monsignor James Vlaun and CEO of Telecare works with many of the programs which are featured on the channel, including Religion and Rock, Good News, Everyday Faith LIVE!, and Novena to Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.
A partial listing of Telecare Television's programs:
- Bridge Building - Half hour program focused on Latinos. Each week there is a salute to a different Long Island Blessed Mother from Latin America. Also teaches about the Marian traditions in certain countries. The "segment of the week" portion of the show teaches viewers the Spanish language. Hosted by Monsignor Robert Brennan.
- Chaplet of Divine Mercy
- Choices We Face
- Christopher Closeup
- CHS Health Source - Catholic Health Services, provides viewers with the latest information on procedures and medical advancements. Hosted by Roland Smith.
- CHS Passages - "A continuing health care journey." Hosted by veteran newscaster, Magee Hickey, and Joseph Tomaino, executive vice president of Catholic Health Services' continuing care division. Each episode these hosts speak with families and professionals in and out of the studio about health care.
- CMBB Touching Lives, Bringing Health and Hope - Catholic Medical Mission Board: Touching Lives, Bringing Health and Hope since 1912. Host Rolland Smith speaks from the studio via Skype with guests discussing healthcare and medications.
- Daily Mass from St. Agnes Cathedral (New York)
- Daily Mass from St. Patrick's Cathedral (New York City)
- Davey & Goliath
- Divine Intervention - Game show hosted by Monsignor Joe DeGrocco.
- Everyday Faith LIVE! - Live national news show airing every Friday morning. Includes a movie pick of the week. Hosted by Monsignor Jim Vlaun, Sister Mary Alice Pill and Telecare General Manager, Joe Perrone.
- Exploring Critical Issues - Hosted by Robert Scott, President of Adelphi University. Panel discussion with business and community leaders on issues such as regional planning, keeping the arts alive, social media, and balancing our public and personal lives.
- Faith & New Works - Bishop William Murphy enlightens viewers with thoughtful teachings about the Catholic faith. Includes interviews with leaders in the diocese about pressing topics.
- Faith to Faith
- Family Comes First - Hosted by Vincent J. Russo and Victoria Roberts Drogin. Looks at the challenge of real-life families and offers resources and advice from experts.
- Get Connected - Telecare's teen show focused on important issues surrounding teens.
- God Is Good - Hosted by Father Charles Mangano and his sister Laurie who share their gifts of song and prayer.
- God Squad
- Good News - Hosted by Monsignor Jim Vlaun and Karen Danca-Smith. Focuses on positive things happening in the community.
- Guided by Grace - Panel discussion where Catholic women discuss experiences of faith and spirituality while exploring issues of Catholicism.
- Holy Rosary
- Joy of Music
- La Santa Misa
- La Vida Latina
- Life is Worth Living
- Life Through Woman Eyes
- Live From Studio B
- Living Scripture - Reflections of meaning and message on the Holy Scripture.
- Living Your Faith - Hosted by Jane Hanson and accompanied by panelist from the Catholic University in Washington D.C. This program uses the book The Compendium-The Catechism of the Catholic Church to discuss truly living the Catholic faith. Also discusses the Order of Malta, a worldwide, lay, religious order.
- Miraculous Medal Novena - Devotion to Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, hosted by Monsignor Jim Vlaun.
- Papal Audience
- The Public Square - Allows audience to interact in a forum with guests from Long Island's leaders to discuss global issues affecting society. Hosted by Molloy College President, Drew Bogner.
- Real Faith TV
- Real Food - Hosted by Monsignor Jim Vlaun, bringing faith into the kitchen discussing things like faith, family, and the importance of breaking bread together. Includes special guest chefs.
- Reason for Hope - Hosted by Father Frank, discussing current family issues such as communication.
- Spanish Rosary
- St. Ann's Novena
- Teachings of Christ
- Total Praise - Hosted by Darcel Whitten-Wilamowski celebrating Catholics of African Ancestry including songs, interviews, and saintly highlights.
- Transforming Communities - Explores how St. Joseph's College (New York) works to uphold positive values and reach out to their community.
- What Catholics Believe
- Word: Alive and Well
- Word On Fire
- The Word - Fifteen minute weekly scripture based program hosted by Bishop Peter Libasci.
- World Seen From The Vatican (Rome Reports)
Religion and Rock
Religion and Rock is a radio program with Monsignor Jim Vlaun broadcast twice a week on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings. The program is broadcast by radio on the east coast or to anyone with a satellite radio. The podcasts are also uploaded to iTunes for people to listen to free of charge. Not to be confused with Rock & Religion Radio Show.
As the types of mass communication change and grow throughout the years, religious broadcasting has been able to keep up with radio, television, podcasting and live streaming over the internet. Especially looking at the Catholic religion, it is easy for people to keep up with the religion through public broadcasting and social media.
- “About Telecare Television - Telecare TV.” Accessed September 25, 2013. http://www.telecaretv.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24700&ATCLID=204966587.
- “Programs - Telecare - The Best in Catholic Television! ®.” Accessed September 25, 2013. http://www.telecaretv.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24700&ATCLID=204993710.