Telefon Tel Aviv
|Telefon Tel Aviv|
Joshua Eustis (left) and Charles Cooper (right) at Decibel Festival (September 2006)
|Origin||New Orleans, Louisiana, USA|
|Genres||IDM, ambient techno, glitch|
|Labels||Hefty, BPitch Control|
|Past members||Charles Cooper (deceased)|
Telefon Tel Aviv is a New Orleans, Louisiana-derived, Chicago, Illinois-based American electronic music act. Formerly comprising Charles Cooper and Joshua Eustis, Telefon Tel Aviv continues with Eustis as the sole official member since Cooper's death in 2009.
Telefon Tel Aviv was formed in 1999 by Charles Cooper and Joshua Eustis, with their first album released in the fall of 2001 to positive reviews. In 2002, the group released an EP on the Hefty Records Immediate Action label. In 2004, the duo released their second full-length album, and a compilation album of remixes titled Remixes Compiled in 2007. The group released its third full length album in January 2009 on the BPitch Control label. Immolate Yourself peaked at #17 on the Billboard Top Electronic Albums chart.
Since 2011, Eustis has been working on new music. In March 2012, Eustis mentioned on his Twitter account that he was "trying" to work on new Telefon Tel Aviv material. In February 2013, Eustis was announced as a member of the touring lineup of Nine Inch Nails. He will tour with band throughout 2013 and 2014.
Death of Charles Cooper 
On January 22, 2009, Eustis announced on the group's MySpace blog that Charles Cooper had died. The information also appeared on the band's website: "Charles Wesley Cooper III / April 12, 1977 - January 22, 2009". Two CBS2 Chicago articles about Cooper's death specify that he went missing on January 21 before being found dead.
On January 30, 2009, Eustis posted on the group's MySpace blog that all tour plans have been cancelled and the future of the band is uncertain.
On March 22, 2009, Eustis posted on the group's MySpace blog that he will perform on stage with a close friend of the group, Fredo Nogueira.
On July 22, 2009, Eustis posted on the group's MySpace in order to clarify some rumours about Cooper's death, stating that three autopsy reports ruled it was not a suicide but possibly an accidental mix of sleeping pills and alcohol.
For their latest album the band drastically changed their production style, reverting to analog tape and analog synthesizers, claiming this method to "sound more real".
- 2001: Fahrenheit Fair Enough
- 2002: Immediate Action #8 EP
- 2004: Map of What Is Effortless
- 2007: Remixes Compiled
- 2009: Immolate Yourself
- 2000: John Hughes - "Got Me Lost / Driving In LA" (Immediate Action#6)
- 2000: Nine Inch Nails – "Where Is Everybody?" (Things Falling Apart)
- 2001: Phil Ranelin - "Time Is Running Out" (Remixes)
- 2003: Midwest Product - "A Genuine Display" (Idol Tryouts : Ghostly International Vol. 1)
- 2004: Slicker - "Knock Me Down Girl" (Knock Me Down Girl)
- 2005: Marc Hellner - Asleep On The Wing (Asleep On The Wing)
- 2005: Apparat - Komponent (Silizium EP)
- 2005: Oliver Nelson – "Stolen Moments" (Impulsive! Revolutionary Jazz Reworked)
- 2005: Bebel Gilberto – "All Around" (Bebel Gilberto Remixed)
- 2005: AmmonContact - "BBQ Plate"" (Microsolutions To Megaproblems)
- 2005: Nitrada - "Fading Away" (Four Remixes)
- 2007: 刀郎 - "艾里甫與賽乃姆" (Dancing With Dao Lang (與刀郎共舞))
- 2008: Apparat - "Arcadia" (Arcadia Rmxs)
- 2008: Genghis Tron – "Relief" (Board Up The House Remixes Volume 4)
- 2008: Barbara Morgenstern – "Come To Berlin" (Come To Berlin Mixes)
- 2009: Art Of Trance – "Swarm" (Swarm)
- 2011: SONOIO – "Can You Hear Me?" (NON SONOIO - Red Remixes)
- 2012: Cubenx – "Grass" (Grass Remixes)
- 2013: Dillon - Feel the Fall (Where the Wind Blows)
- Billboard, Allmusic
- Phillips, Amy (February 25, 2013). "Trent Reznor Announces the Return of Nine Inch Nails: Extensive Touring for 2013 and 2014". Pitchfork. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- "Police Continue Search For 'High Risk' Missing Man". CBS Broadcasting. 25 January 2009. Retrieved 9 February 2009.[dead link]
- "Musician Missing Since Last Week Found Dead". CBS Broadcasting. 27 January 2009. Retrieved 28 January 2009.[dead link]
- "Myspace post " Charlie, in finality."". Joshua Eustis. 22 July 2009. Retrieved 22 July 2009.
- "Myspace post "Thank you"". Joshua Eustis. 30 January 2009. Retrieved 9 February 2009.
- "Myspace post "Update, the future, etc."". Joshua Eustis. 22 March 2009. Retrieved 24 March 2009.
- "Myspace post "Charlie, in finality."". Joshua Eustis. 22 July 2009. Retrieved 22 July 2009.
- "Products : Sound Line : Synthetic Drums 2". Native Instruments. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- "Remix talks to Telefon Tel Aviv about the gear and recording for their latest album, Immolate Yourself | Josh Eustis and Charlie Cooper sit down with Remix to discuss the gear and techniques used to create Immolate Yourself". Remixmag.com. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- "Remix du jour : Cubenx - Grass (Telefon Tel Aviv Remix) (French)". tsugi.fr. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Telefon Tel Aviv|