- Teleorman redirects here. For the river, see Teleorman River.
|• Total||5,790 km2 (2,240 sq mi)|
|• Density||62/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 247 or (+40) 347|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-TR (TR county)|
The name Teleorman is of Cumanic (Turkic) origin. It literally means crazy forest (Deli orman) and, by extension, "thick and shadowy forest" in the Cuman language. It can be encountered in other toponyms, such as the Turkish name of the Ludogorie Plateau in northeastern Bulgaria.
In 2011, it had a population of 360,178 and the population density was 62.2/km².
This county has a total area of 5,790 km².
Two distinctive elements can be found:
- In the North and center there are plains from the Romanian Plain. They are separated by small rivers, which sometimes form deep valleys.
- In the South there is the Danube valley, very wide, with ponds and small channels.
Beside the Danube, the main river crossing the county is the Olt River which flows into the Danube close to the village of Islaz. Other important rivers are: the Vedea River, the Teleorman River and the Călmățui River.
- Giurgiu County in the East.
- Olt County in the West.
- Argeș County and Dâmbovița County in the North.
- Bulgaria in the South - Veliko Tarnovo Province, Pleven Province and Ruse Province.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Food and beverages industry.
- Textile industry.
- Chemical industry.
- Mechanical components industry - in Alexandria there is a big roll-bearing enterprise.
Agriculture is the main occupation in the county. Both extensive agriculture, and small scale - vegetables and fruits for Bucharest markets, is practiced. The area is well suited for irrigations.
The county doesn't have many spectacular attractions, but its cultural folk heritage is very rich. Many Romanian personalities have been born here, some of them later describing the life in a village in a very picturesque way. Also, the area was one of the places where the Wallachian Revolution of 1848 unfolded.
The main tourist destinations are:
Teleorman County has 3 municipalities, 2 towns and 93 communes
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Teleorman County.|
- The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- (Romanian) Claudiu Dumitrache, "Județul Teleorman, de la 'pădurea nebună' la grânarul țării", Adevărul, January 11, 2013; accessed July 2, 2013
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 și 2002"