Television in Iceland
- 1 List of channels
- 2 Overview of Icelandic TV
- 3 Programming
- 4 External links
List of channels
Present channels, Free to Air
- Sjónvarpið, the television channel of RÚV, they are the Icelandic National Broadcasting Service. Available as free-to-view on the satellite Thor 2.
- Bravó, opened 5th of March 2014. Intended for ages 14-24 and contains only domestic programming and music videos. Broadcasts 24/7 and in HD. Bravó was acquired by 365 Media in a June 2014 merger with Konunglega Kvikmyndafélagið which used to run Bravó and Mikligarður.
- SkjárSport, sports channel. Part of Skjárinn which also runs SkjárEinn.
- Alþingi, from the Icelandic Parliament while in session.
- N4, broadcasting only in the town of Akureyri yet available nationwide through IPTV from Síminn or Vodafone.
- Omega Christian television channel.
- ÍNN, all-talk.
- PoppTV, music videos 24/7.
- iSTV, operated by iSTV ehf. Domestic programming. Broadcast 24/7 in SD. Available through IPTV from Síminn or Vodafone. No listed licence with the Media Commission (as of August 7th 2014).
Present channels, Subscription
- Golfstöðin, caters to golfers.
- Gullstöðin, part of Stöð 2. Shares a channel with Krakkastöðin. Programming is mostly based on old domestic programmes from Stöð 2.
- Krakkastöðin, part of Stöð 2. Shares a channel with Gullstöðin. Children's entertainment.
- Stöð 2, the oldest privately owned television channel in Iceland (1986). Also available as Stöð 2+ with one hour delay.
- Bíóstöðin, (previously called Stöð 2 Bíó)movies 24/7
- Stöð 2 Sport (previously called Sýn), mostly sports with one hour delay on Stöð 2 Sport+
- Stöð 2 Sport 2 (previously called Sýn 2), FA Premier League and The Football League
- Stöð 2 Sport 3, Stöð 2 Sport 4, Stöð 2 Sport 5 and Stöð 2 Sport 6, extra channels for special sport events, used mostly for Champions League and Premier League matches
- Stöð 2 Sport HD, Stöð 2 Sport HD 2, Iceland's first HD channel. Launched in October 2007 broadcasting Sýn and Sýn 2 events in 1080i. To start with live games from the FA Premier League and UEFA Champions League. Expect many of Sýn and Sýn 2 sports to be available on Sýn HD in 2008 including major golf tournaments, NBA basketball, Wimbledon tennis, championship boxing and more football. Note: Since Iceland is outside a lot of satellite footprints and HD requiring more bandwidth, many events can only reach Iceland in standard definition although they are available in HD in other countries.
- SkjárEinn, entertainment channel - was free and run with advertisement revenue only until November, 2009. Only available through subscription after that. Also available with one hour delay on SkjárEinn plús
- Stöð 3, launched 07 Sep 2013. Entertainment youth channel.
- NFS, now a news service providing news for visir.is and television channels of 365
- Skjár tveir, was meant to be an ad-free channel paid for by the viewers. It didn't go as planned and soon merged with Skjár einn.
- Stöð 1, launched 29 Oct 2010. Entertainment channel, free to air, non-subscribtion. Reaches 98% of all households in Iceland.
- Stöð þrjú, the old channel was used. But was bought quickly and shut down in the meaning, it was merged by Stöð 2.
- Skjár sport, showed Premier League matches for the seasons 2005-2006 and 2006-2007.
- Stöð 2 Extra (previously called Sirkus) Entertainment channel previously available as free but is now only available as a complement to Stöð 2 subscription
- Nova TV (previously called Sirkus and before that Popp Tíví), music videos - free channel
- Fasteignasjónvarpið, a channel that offers real estate
- Mikligarður, opened 15th of March 2014 - closed 1st of July 2014. Intended for ages 34+ with an emphasis on females. Programming was all domestic and included paid presentations. Broadcasts was 24/7 and in HD.
International Channels available in Iceland
|Channels||Owner / Genre|
|DR Ultra||Danmarks Radio|
|NRK 1||Norsk Rikskringkasting|
|NRK 2||Norsk Rikskringkasting|
|NRK 3 / NRK Super||Norsk Rikskringkasting|
|MGM Channel||AMC Networks - chellomedia|
|Jim Jam Euro||AMC Networks - chellomedia|
|Travel Channel||AMC Networks - chellomedia|
|Food Network||AMC Networks - chellomedia|
|CBS Reality||AMC Networks - chellomedia|
|Extreme Sports Channel||AMC Networks - chellomedia|
|Fine Living Network||AMC Networks - chellomedia|
|TCM||Turner Broadcasting System Europe / NonStop|
|Star||Turner Broadcasting System Europe / NonStop|
|CNN International||Turner Broadcasting System Europe / NonStop|
|Cartoon Network||Turner Broadcasting System Europe / NonStop|
|Boomerang||Turner Broadcasting System Europe / NonStop|
|BBC Entertainment||BBC Worldwide|
|BBC Lifestyle||BBC Worldwide|
|BBC Knowledge||BBC Worldwide|
|BBC World News||BBC Worldwide|
|National Geographic Channel||NG Channels/Fox International Channels/BSKYB|
|Nat Geo Wild||NG Channels/Fox International Channels/BSKYB|
|Baby TV||Fox International Channels|
|Animal Planet||Discovery Networks|
|Discovery Science||Discovery Networks|
|Discovery World||Discovery Networks|
|Discovery Channel||Discovery Networks|
|ID (Investigation Discovery)||Discovery Networks|
|TVE (Televisión Española)||Spain|
|Eurosport 1||Eurosport/TF1/Discovery Networks|
|Eurosport 2||Eurosport/TF1/Discovery Networks|
|Arte||Germany / France|
|MTV Hits||MTV Networks/Viacom|
|MTV Rocks||MTV Networks/Viacom|
|C Music TV|
|I Concerts HD|
Overview of Icelandic TV
Test card for RUV
The testcard of RUV is PM5544 introduced in the 70's.
Text has been changed 3 times, minor change 5 times, returned 2 times
- 1970-1994 - "RUV - ISLAND"
- 1993 - "RÚV - ÍSLAND"
- 1995 - Added time and date
- 2000 - Remove time and date
- Remove "ÍSLAND" and replace with the moving bar
- 2002 - Return the 1995 version
- 2006 - Return the 2000 version
- 2009 - Changed to PM5644
RUV's testcard is beep, but the last 15 minutes plays classical music
Closing and opening times
RÚV still closes down at night.
- 1966–present opens at 16:30 for weekdays and closes at 0:00.
- 1966-2004 Weekends and holidays open at 9:00, though sometimes with midday break.
- 2004–present weekends and holidays open at 8:00.
- 1986-1988 opens at 8:00 and close at 23:00
- 1988-1995 opens at 6:00 and close at 0:00
- 1995–present open 24 hours
Icelandic programming including LazyTown foreign shows with Icelandic captions.
- (Icelandic) Sjónvarp Símans
- (English) Síminn Television
- (Icelandic) Icelandic Media Commission list of registered media (in Icelandic)
- (Icelandic) Icelandic Media Commission list of licensed media (in Icelandic)