|Mission duration||15 years|
|Launch mass||1,930 kilograms (4,250 lb)|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||16 November 2005, 23:46:00UTC|
|Rocket||Ariane 5ECA V167|
|Launch site||Kourou ELA-3|
|Perigee||35,783 kilometres (22,235 mi)|
|Apogee||35,800 kilometres (22,200 mi)|
|Epoch||29 October 2013, 18:26:25 UTC|
Telkom-2 is a C-band geosynchronous communications satellite built by Orbital for Indonesia's state-owned telecommunications company, PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia Tbk (PT Telkom). TELKOM-2 was successfully launched November 16, 2005, and positioned in geosynchronous orbit, 22,300 miles above the Earth, at 118°E (Coordinates: ).
Based on Orbital's highly successful and flight-proven STAR-2 spacecraft platform, TELKOM-2 features state-of-the-art communications satellite technology, and 24 C-band transponders. The new spacecraft will replace PT Telkom's on-orbit Palapa-B4 satellite, improve communications coverage across Indonesia, and allow PT Telkom to expand its coverage area into southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent.
In addition to providing the spacecraft bus and payload, Orbital is supplementing Telkom's existing ground segment through the addition of a state-of-the-art ground station including all hardware and software. Orbital is also providing extensive mission operations support.
There are several postpones exist before Telkom-2 was launched. Three postpones happened on November 2005 because of technical problems with Ariane 5 rocket. Other postpones happened during November 2004 until October 2005 with different problems including technical problem with Telkom-2.
Orbital's contract with PT Telkom includes an optional order for another geosynchronous satellite.
Specification of Telkom-2 Satellite
- Owner: PT Telkomunikasi Indonesia Tbk (PT Telkom)
- Mission: C-band communications for Indonesia
- Performance: Repeater - two groups of 15-for-12 linearized traveling wave tube assemblies (TWTAs)
- Transponder Power - 39 watts RF
- Stabilization - 3-axis, zero momentum
- Launch mass - 1,930 kg
- Mission life - 15 years (>15 years of fuel)
- Launched on November 16, 2005 by Ariane 5 ECA rocket in Guiana Space Centre in Kourou, French Guiana
- Redundancy: Full dual string
- Solar arrays: 2 panel wings with improved triple-junction Gas cells
- Propulsion: Liquid bi-propellant transfer orbit system; monopropellant (hydrazine) on-orbit
- Frequency: C-band
- Repeater: Two groups of 15-for-12 linear traveling wave tube assemblies (TWTAs)
- Antenna: Two 2.0 m (6.6 ft.) dual-griddled shaped-beam reflectors
- McDowell, Jonathan. "Launch Log". Jonathan's Space Page. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "TELKOM 2 Satellite details 2005-046A NORAD 28902". N2YO. 29 October 2013. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- Satellites in Space, (orbital.com)
- Article Satelit Telkom-2 telah Diluncurkan, internet: http://pribadi.or.id/diary/2005/11/17/satelit-telkom-2-telah-diluncurkan/