All Saints church
Tellisford shown within Somerset
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Police||Avon and Somerset|
|Fire||Devon and Somerset|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||Somerton and Frome|
The village was known as Tefleford in 1001 and Tablesford in 1086 meaning Theabul's ford or ford at a flat place.
It was largely destroyed by a serious fire in 1785.
Tellisford has a Parish Meeting, where all village electors are automatically members. It is required to meet at least twice a year and does not levy a precept.
The village falls within the Non-metropolitan district of Mendip, which was formed on 1 April 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, having previously been part of Frome Rural District, which is responsible for local planning and building control, local roads, council housing, environmental health, markets and fairs, refuse collection and recycling, cemeteries and crematoria, leisure services, parks, and tourism.
Somerset County Council is responsible for running the largest and most expensive local services such as education, social services, libraries, main roads, public transport, policing and fire services, trading standards, waste disposal and strategic planning.
It is also part of the Somerton and Frome county constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election, and part of the South West England constituency of the European Parliament which elects seven MEPs using the d'Hondt method of party-list proportional representation.
The Church of St. Lawrence in Woolverton dates from the 14th century.
- "Tellisford Parish". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Bush, Robin (1994). Somerset: The Complete Guide. Dovecote Press. p. 206. ISBN 1-874336-26-1.
- "Somerset Hundreds". GENUKI. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Frome RD". A vision of Britain Through Time. University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Bridge over River Frome at Tellisford". Images of England. Retrieved 25 November 2006.
- "Church of All Saints". Images of England. Retrieved 25 November 2006.
- Cooper, Thompson (2004). "Parry, William (bap. 1687, d. 1756)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online edition, subscription access). Oxford University Press. Retrieved 24 April 2008.
- "Church of St. Lawrence". Images of England. English Heritage. Retrieved 8 February 2009.
Media related to Tellisford at Wikimedia Commons