Timiș county, territorial location
|• Type||County Council|
|• President of the County Council||Titu Bojin (PSD)|
|• Prefect||Eugen Dogariu |
|• Total||8,697 km2 (3,358 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||78/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Area code(s)||(+40) 256 or (+40) 356|
Timiș (Romanian pronunciation: [ˈtimiʃ]) is a county (județ) of western Romania on the border with Hungary and Serbia, in the historical region Banat, with the county seat at Timișoara. It is the westernmost and the largest county in Romania in terms of land area. The county is also part of the Danube–Criș–Mureș–Tisa Euroregion.
The name of the county comes from the river Timiș, known in Roman antiquity as river Tibisis or Tibiscus.
In 2000, it had a population of 684,506 and the population density was 79/km².
In 2011, it had a population of 683,540 and the population density was 78/km².
- Romanians - 85.52%
- Hungarians - 5.43%
- Roma - 2.23%
- Germans - 1.3%
- Serbs - 2%
- Ukrainians - 0.91%
- Bulgarians - 0.8%
- other - 0.7%
This county has a total area of 8,697 km² (3,6% of Romania). It is the largest county in Romania.
In the eastern extremity are the Poiana Ruscă Mountains from the Western Romanian Carpathians group. Elevations decrease to the west, passing through the Lipova Hills to the Western Romanian Plain, the eastern part of the Pannonian Plain.
- Hunedoara County to the east.
- Hungary to the northwest - Csongrád County.
- Arad County to the north.
- Caraș-Severin County to the south.
- Serbia to the southwest - Vojvodina Autonomous Province - North Banat District and Central Banat District.
Timiș County has one of the most dynamic economies in Romania, being a region with among the highest ratings of foreign investment due to its tradition and its position.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Mechanical manufacturing
- Electronic components
The main tourist attractions in the county are:
There are also a lot of places for hunting and fishing.
- Ana Blandiana
- Béla Lugosi
- Lavinia Miloșovici
- Traian Vuia
- Johnny Weissmuller
- Tiberiu Brediceanu
- Iosif Constantin Drăgan
- Béla Bartók
- Dositej Obradović
- Nikolaus Lenau
- Ted Junker
- Herta Müller
- Francesco Illy
Timiș County has 2 municipalities, 8 towns and 89 communes
- Sânnicolau Mare - population: 11,540 (as of 2011)
- Jimbolia - population: 10.808 (as of 2011)
- Recaș - population: 7,782 (as of 2011)
- Făget - population: 6,571 (as of 2011)
- Buziaș - population: 6,504 (as of 2011)
- Deta - population: 5,963 (as of 2011)
- Gătaia - population: 5,449 (as of 2011)
- Ciacova - population: 5,348 (as of 2011)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Timiș County.|
- "Population at 20 October 2011" (in Romanian). INSSE. 5 July 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 și 2002"
Google earth file (kmz) with information about the Timis Bega catchment and the 2005 flood event Download the kmz file