Template:In the news
- The Supreme Council of Crimea votes to leave Ukraine and join the Russian Federation and announces a referendum on secession.
- Scientists discover a viable Pithovirus specimen in 30,000-year-old frozen tundra, marking the largest giant virus yet found.
- At the 86th Academy Awards, 12 Years a Slave wins Best Picture and Gravity wins seven awards, including Alfonso Cuarón (pictured) as Best Director.
- At least 29 people are killed and 130 injured in a mass stabbing at Kunming Railway Station in China.
- Militants kill 59 students in Yobe State, Nigeria.
- The Winter Olympics close with host nation Russia winning the most gold medals and most medals overall.
|In the news toolbox|
new item should be added to Template:In the news by Friday, 7 March 2014 05:35 (UTC).
This template will turn yellow if not reset by that time and red twelve hours after.
Current time: 01:46, March 8, 2014 (UTC) ( )Last updated: 32 hours ago. (verify · reset · purge)
In the news mentions and links to entries of timely interest—that is, encyclopedia articles that have been updated to reflect an important current event—rather than conventional news items. To prevent vandalism on the Main Page, it is a permanently protected template. See Wikipedia:In the news for more details.
See an error? Please note it on Wikipedia:Main Page/Errors for administrator assistance. Thanks.
The template accepts one parameter: adding
|nocurrenteventslink=1 removes the link to Portal:Current events. This is used on the current events page to hide the link there.
In terms of Main Page balance, right now we're configured for widescreen monitors, which it appears most editors use. Non-widescreen users, please do not change the balance even if it looks off on your monitor.
Click here to purge the template's cache manually, if it does not appear to be updating on the Main Page after you edit it.
|The above documentation is transcluded from Template:In the news/doc. (edit | history)
Editors can experiment in this template's sandbox (edit | diff) and testcases (edit) pages.
Please add categories to the /doc subpage. Subpages of this template.