Template talk:Campaignbox New Guinea
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is to explain my reasoning for the way I have just reorganised the campaignbox. To avoid a long list of battles, which often ran or merged into one another, I have come up with five sub-campaigns
- Battle of Lae: to include operations at Nassau Bay, Salamaua, Markham Valley, Nadzab (etc), all of which were focussed on taking Lae.
- Finisterre Range campaign: Ramu Valley/Kaipit, John's Knoll, Trevor's Ridge, Shaggy Ridge, Faria Ridge, Cam's Saddle and Kankiryo Saddle.
- Huon Peninsula campaign: Finschhafen, Scarlet Beach, Sattelberg, Sio, etc
- Admiralty Islands campaign: Los Negros, Operation Brewer/Manus, etc
- Western New Guinea campaign: Hollandia, Wakde, Lone Tree Hill, Morotai, Biak, Noemfoor, Driniumor, Sansapor, Wewak, etc
- Looks decent (although I'm by no means an expert on this topic); I suspect that some of these sub-campaigns will need their own campaignboxes as well, though. Kirill Lokshin 16:48, 12 December 2006 (UTC)
- I think you did a good job on organizing the campaign. Did the Mo operation include the capture of Rabaul? If not, then perhaps "1st Rabaul" should come before Mo in the campaignbox. There's only two operations/battles that I know of that aren't included in the campaignbox but I don't know if they necessarily should be:
- Invasion of Buka and Bougainville- Soon after the Japanese took Rabaul they occupied Buka and began landings in other parts of Bougainville such as the Shortland Islands. Since the Allies didn't directly resist these operations maybe they can just be addressed in the main New Guinea campaign and Solomon Islands campaign articles and/or in the Bougainville campaign article.
- Battle of the Green Islands- Since these islands are located between Bougainville and New Britain, perhaps, therefore, they could be included in the New Guinea campaign.
- Didn't Allied forces also occupy the Lousiades? Since, if I understand correctly, that was unopposed I guess it doesn't merit a separate article but perhaps a mention in the main New Guinea campaign article. Again, I think you did a good job with organizing and structuring the campaign to cover everything in a logical manner. Cla68 01:43, 13 December 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks for your comments. I take your point about Mo -- although it was a pre-war plan, it relied on Rabaul having already been taken. Since Rabaul was the key to both the New Guinea and Solomons campaigns, it should probably come first. Occupation of Bougainville & Buka: as you suggest, I'm not inclined to include unresisted invasions/occupations unless they were especially significant to subsequent ops, as in the case of Tulagi. It's matter of whether people want to write the articles, I guess. I left out Green Islands because (as far as I know) the Allied forces involved all came from the Pacific Ocean Areas command rather than SWPA. I will gladly defer to others if it is deemed they should be included. Also I have changed Finisterre Mountains to Finisterre Range, because that is the name of the existing article on the moutains and appears to be the common name. Grant65 | Talk 03:11, 13 December 2006 (UTC)