|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Gorillaz template.|
Okay, if we're just going to list every single person who has ever collaborated with Gorillaz (like we are now, apparently), the template is just going to be more and more of a mess. I'm suggesting that we only list people or groups that have either collaborated on more than one song or people like Danger Mouse, who have actually produced albums or something major like that. That should at least trim it down to the more major artists involved. Per WP:SOFIXIT, I'm going to go ahead and trim down the section now. Does anyone have any thoughts? Friginator (talk) 18:47, 2 December 2010 (UTC)
- Agreed. At best (or worst?) we could do like Template:Ayreon guest musicians and create a separated template for guest musicians...though it will be messy too. Victão Lopes I hear you... 03:02, 27 December 2010 (UTC)
The Fall: "Other releases"?
Though The Fall wasn't really recorded at a studio, shouldn't it be displayed just after Plastic Beach, since it is considered the fourth album by the band? Victão Lopes I hear you... 03:02, 27 December 2010 (UTC)
- It's the eighth officially released album, but whether it belongs with the Gorillaz, Demon Days and Plastic Beach is arguable. The other three were recorded in a studio and all take place in the fictional "Gorillaz universe" with the Jamie Hewlett's characters. The Fall is completely different. It was recorded directly to an iPad during the Plastic Beach tour this year. There has only been one video released, and none of the fictional characters seem to involved. It's not a live album or an EP, but it doesn't fit in with the three elaborate albums that have been made available to the public in physical form. The Fall is an exclusive download to fanclub members right now. I think that's cause alone for leaving it in "Other Releases". Friginator (talk) 16:24, 27 December 2010 (UTC)
- The Fall will be released physically in 2011, that is confirmed. You could argue that since this is the first "iPad album", the iPad is, in effect, his studio. I can't decide whether it should be listed as a studio album or not - are there any sources that talk about The Fall as being a studio album? It is very difficult to understand what category of album it could possibly fit under, since "Other releases" is a bit of a cop-out. For instance, Laika Come Home is listed under "Other releases" on the template, as a compilation album in the Gorillaz discography and as a remix album in its own article. Officially Mr X (talk) 17:48, 27 December 2010 (UTC)
- Well, Laika Comes Home shouldn't be listed as a compilation. It doesn't compile anything that had already been released. If the template had a section that would include G-Sides, Laika Comes Home, D-Sides and The Fall, would that work? We could move The Apex Tapes, We Are the Dury and Rise of the Ogre to the "Related" row. They're not anything like Laika Comes Home or The Fall, so it makes sense to separate them. I also like the idea of creating a separate navigation box for the collaborators (Like Victor Lopes was saying about the Ayreon template above), though I think we should keep it in the same template. I guess I'll just go ahead and change the main template now, but if anyone thinks there's a problem with it they could just revert it. Myself or someone else would still need to add the collaborators box, so that part will still be the same. It's going to take some work if, like the Ayreon template, we're planning on separating everything out into different rows. Friginator (talk) 21:25, 27 December 2010 (UTC)
Status of "Rhinestone Eyes", "Doncamatic" and "Phoner to Arizona"
Dear Friginator and DVilla21, it seems quite obvious to me that the edit war between you two won't take us anywhere. Besides, it is disturbing the edit history of the template. Why don't we discuss the matter here, so that we can make a final edit? Victão Lopes I hear you... 18:32, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- Actually, this dispute was actually settled on my talk page yesterday (here), fortunately. DVilla21 is clearly frustrated, but I'm grateful nonetheless. But thank you for intervening. I fully understand that I should have handled it differently (edit warring is bad for the brain), so I'm sorry for that. This really should have gone to WP:ANI in my opinion, judging from the hostility on their part (though again, I don't claim to acted appropriately myself). But hopefully the issue won't come up again. Thanks. Friginator (talk) 18:53, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- I can see DVilla21 is quite an agressive user, those are harder to deal with. That's why I recommend the usage of the talk page to solve disputes after the third or fourth revert. I've been involved in wars like this one, and I know how hard it is to negotiate under such circumstances. Victão Lopes I hear you... 20:38, 22 January 2011 (UTC)