Template talk:Lighthouses of Michigan
|WikiProject Michigan||(Rated Template-class)|
|WikiProject Lighthouses||(Rated Template-class)|
reorganizing the template
This template has grown such that it could probably be improved by a different organizational approach using groupings. What are the recognized regions of Michigan? For example purposes I'm going to make them up here: Thumb, lower central, left mitt, right mitt, etc.
Now take a look at Template:Outer Banks and picture that instead of the word "Landform" it says "Left mitt" and the grouping below that "right mitt", etc. If we regroup in this manner, geographically rather than alphabetically (but still using alpha order within geographic listing), the template may become more logical & orderly...as well as usable to folk who may try going to some of the lighthouses in a region of Michigan. To make this happen, I need the list of Michigan regions from someone more familiar with their geography stated here. Then I can add those to the template upon which the lights would need reordered by someone familiar with the geography. What do you think? What are those regions?
⋙–Berean–Hunter—► ((⊕)) 13:13, 14 July 2009 (UTC)
- Jerry Roach's website and the Lighthouse Central has it split up more or less like that. Here is one of his links:
- Lighthouse Central, Managerie Island light The Ultimate Guide to Upper Michigan Lighthouses by Jerry Roach. (Publisher: Bugs Publishing LLC - 2007). ISBN 978-0-9747977-2-4.
Upper Michigan Lights St. Helena Lighthouse Seul Choix Point Lighthouse Manistique Breakwater Lighthouse Peninsula Point Lighthouse Minneapolis Shoal Light St. Martin Island Lighthouse Poverty Island Lighthouse Sand Point Lighthouse (Escanaba) Cedar River Lighthouse Menominee North Pier Light Ontonagon Pier Light Ontonagon Lighthouse Fourteen Mile Point Lighthouse Keweenaw Upper Entry Light Sand Hills Lighthouse Eagle River Lighthouse Eagle Harbor Lighthouse Menagerie Island Lighthouse Rock Harbor Lighthouse Passage Island Lighthouse Rock of Ages Light Copper Harbor Lighthouse Copper Harbor Range Lights Manitou Island Lighthouse Gull Rock Lighthouse Mendota Lighthouse Jacobsville Lighthouse Portage River Lower Entrance Light Huron Island Lighthouse Sand Point Light (Baraga) Indian Country Sports Light Big Bay Lighthouse Stannard Rock Light Granite Island Lighthouse Presque Isle Harbor Light Marquette Harbor Lighthouse Marquette Lower Harbor Breakwater Lighthouse End of the Road Front Range Light End of the Road Rear Range Light Grand Island East Channel Lighthouse Grand Island North Lighthouse Munising Front Range Light Munising Rear Range Light AuSable Point Lighthouse Grand Marais Light Crisp Point Light Whitefish Point Light Station Point Iroquois Lighthouse St. Marys River Lighthouse Middle Neebish Front Range Light DeTour Reef Light Spectacle Reef Light Martin Reef Light Bois Blanc Island Lighthouse Round Island Passage Light Round Island Lighthouse Wawatam Light
West Michigan Lights St. Joseph North Pier Light South Haven Pier Light Kalamazoo River Light Holland Harbor Lighthouse Grand Haven Pier Lights Muskegon South Pier Light White River Lighthouse Little Sable Point Light Pentwater Pier Lights Ludington North Breakwater Light Big Sable Point Lighthouses Manistee North Pierhead Light Frankfort North Breakwater Light Point Betsie Lighthouse Robert H. Manning Memorial Light South Manitou Island Lighthouse North Manitou Shoal Light Grand Traverse Lighthouse Old Mission Point Lighthouse Charlevoix South Pier Light Petoskey Pier Light Little Traverse Bay Lighthouse South Fox Island Lighthouse Beaver Island Harbor Light Beaver Head Lighthouse Squaw Island Lighthouse Lansing Shoal Light Skillagalee Island Light Grays Reef Light White Shoal Light Waugoshance Shoal Light McGulpins Point Lighthouse
East Michigan Lights Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse Cheboygan Crib Light Cheboygan Lighthouse Ruins Cheboygan River Range Light Fourteen Foot Shoal Light Poe Reef Light Forty Mile Point Lighthouse Presque Isle Old Range Lights Old Presque Isle Lighthouse New Presque Isle Lighthouse Middle Island Lighthouse Alpena Light Thunder Bay Island Lighthouse Sturgeon Point Lighthouse Tawas Point Lighthouse Gravelly Shoal Light Charity Island Lighthouse Saginaw River Rear Range Light Caseville Harbor Light Port Austin Reef Light Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse Harbor Beach Lighthouse Port Sanilac Lighthouse Fort Gratiot Lighthouse Lightship Huron Peche Island Range Light Harsens Island Range Lights St. Clair Flats Range Lights Lake St. Clair Light Windmill Point Light William Livingstone Memorial Light Mariners Memorial Light Grosse Ile North Channel Front Range Light Detroit River Light
- Lighthouse Digest has separate pages for the three areas.
- Lighthouse Digest, Michigan Upper Peninsula lights, including Isle Royale (Menagerie Island), (University of North Carolina).
Here is the Lighthouse Directory Index] from Lighthouse Digest.
- The other master lists would be at Terry Pepper's Seeing the Light or at David Wobser's website at Boatnerd.com.
- This could also be done by lake and river names, but Upper Peninsula (could be North and South to make it more specific), Western Lower and Eastern Lower, could work.
- FYI I have not completed adding all the lights. There are a bunch more listed a Lighthouse Digest (which includes some defunct or destroyed lights), and at the Coast Guard websites.
- The Coast Guard only uses one list for all of Michigan, but it doesn't (usually) include decommissioned lights, unless the Coast Guard still owns them.
Here are Eastern Lower links and books:
- Lighthouse Central, Saginaw River Rear Range Light Photographs, History and Directions, The Ultimate Guide to East Michigan Lighthouses by Jerry Roach (Publisher: Bugs Publishing LLC - July 2006). ISBN 0974797715; ISBN 9780974797717.
- Lighthouse Digest, Saginaw River Rear Range Light, Eastern Michigan lighthouses, University of North Carolina.
- I am trying to create a complete list of lights (these are not all listed on the Wikipedia list of lights, either). This could then function as a "to do" list. Some of these might not warrant separate articles, or they could be combined with "island" articles, as we have done on some others. Some lights might be treated as groups. For example, Eagle River has a plethora of lights, and we could put them all in one article, with separate links.
- There are a lot of lights not yet listed. I haven't even finished through "G" on the Coast Guard list of lights. Additionally, the various lists do not always use the same names, so trying to figure out which light is which (and avoiding unthought out duplication) is difficult.
- Having it organized geographically, with a link to a (hidden) overall master alpha list of all the lights might be useful. 7&6=thirteen (talk) 17:41, 14 July 2009 (UTC) Stan
- Maybe we should have a separate section on "lost lights" or does that complicate it too much? This is the list from Lighthouse Digest just for the East side of the Lower:
- Au Sable North Pierhead (1873-?), Lake Huron
- Clinton River (1847-1908), Detroit River. ARLHS USA-1259.
- Ecorse (1895-1940s), Detroit River. ARLHS USA-1260.
- Ecorse Range Rear (1894-1918), Detroit River
- Gibraltar (1873-??), mouth of Detroit River. ARLHS USA-1076.
- Grassy Island North Channel Range (1897-1918), Detroit River. ARLHS USA-1261 (front) and 1262 (rear).
- Grassy Island South Channel Range (1896-1918), Detroit River. ARLHS USA-1263 (front) and 1264 (rear).
- Grosse Isle South Channel Range, Detroit River. ARLHS USA-1279 (front) and 358 (rear).
- Mamajuda (1849-1921), Detroit River. ARLHS USA-1267.
- Mamajuda Range Front (1894-1918), Detroit River
- Monroe Pier (1885-1922), Lake Erie at the mouth of Raisin River. ARLHS USA-511.
- Saginaw Bay (1841-1876), mouth of Saginaw River. ARLHS USA-1271.
- Sand Beach North Entrance East (1875-?), Harbor Beach, Lake Huron
- Windmill Point Range Front and Rear
- Northern upper peninsula
- Southern upper peninsula
- St. Mary's River
- Straits of Mackinac
- Western lower peninsula
- Eastern lower peninsula
- Historical (lost) lights
Would this be a good set of groupings? The 'Historical lights' being the same as your "lost lights". Open invitation: feel free to modify my list above as a sandbox effort.
⋙–Berean–Hunter—► ((⊕)) 13:07, 15 July 2009 (UTC)
- I think it's inspired. Will keep these lists (we're already up to 99 on the navbox) manageable. However, might it be better to do Northern and Southern Upper, which will basically segregate out Lake Superior from Lake Michigan? Might a also change it to "historical (lost) lights" as most all of these are historical. Just a thought. 7&6=thirteen (talk) 14:42, 15 July 2009 (UTC) Stan
- OK with me. We might have a problem with the St. Mary's River and environs, as theyy are kind of on the cusp, but I suppose that's just an editorial choice. 7&6=thirteen (talk) 14:54, 15 July 2009 (UTC) Stan
Berean, This is really neat. Is there a way to put in a link to a consolidated complete alphabetical list? I haven't yet parsed through the distribution. The lists of defunct lights is at the end of the three pages in Lighthouse Digest (western lower and UP). There may be others, but they should be on the ARLHS link mainly. Unfortunately, real life beckons, and I am under the gun and won't be able to assist until about next Tuesday or Wednesday. Sorry, don't mean to abandon my post. But I'm really under the gun at this juncture. Another good list that is broken up by locale is at Lighthouse Central. His master map and master list is fairly complete, except he misses a few (particularly lost/historical), I think. 7&6=thirteen (talk) 19:23, 15 July 2009 (UTC) Stan • Mama Juda Light is historical/lost. Burnt down. 7&6=thirteen (talk) 19:38, 15 July 2009 (UTC) Stan
- Link to Michigan light list added in the above group while rotating the lifesaving stations link below. For anyone else following along, I have a working copy in my sandbox.
- I understand..no rush, plenty of things to work on. Take care of business..
⋙–Berean–Hunter—► ((⊕)) 20:16, 15 July 2009 (UTC)
- I don't know where these belong (since I don't know where they are located).
- ROULEAU POINT RANGE LIGHTS
- ROULEAU POINT RANGE LIGHT STATION
- ROULEAU POINT FRONT RANGE LIGHT
- ROULEAU POINT REAR RANGE LIGHT 7&6=thirteen (talk) 15:05, 30 July 2009 (UTC) Stan