Template talk:Main world championships
|WikiProject Sports||(Rated Template-class)|
I moved the Davis and Fed Cup links up to the "team" category. Even though tennis is usually seen as an individual sport (and rightfully so), these two are definitely team events. There isn't any one event that functions as an individual tennis world championship. The ITF names world champions at the end of each year, and these are usually the top-ranked players/pairs on the ATP Tour and WTA Tour. --Spyder_Monkey (Talk) 22:18, 4 November 2007 (UTC)
- 100% right. I moved the Boxing World Cup there by the same argument. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 20:02, 16 May 2008 (UTC)
World Championships of the Olympic Games Sports
I add several World Championships of sports that were in the last Summer Olympic Games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_Olympics#Sports. The sports in the list are: Athletics, Badmilton, Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Canoeing, Cycling, Equestrian(Eventing, Dressage and Show Jump), Fencing, Field Hockey, Soccer, Gymnastics(Artistic, Rhythmic and Trampoline), Handball, Judo, Rowing, Shooting, Softball, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Triathlon, Volleyball(Beach Volleyball and Indoor Volleyball), Water polo, Weightlifting, Wrestling. Diving, Swimming and Synchronized swimming are part of the FINA World Aquatics Championships which is on the list. The Olympic Games Sports that are still missing are: Archery, Modern pentathlon and Sailing. Could anybody add the World Championships of these 3 missing Olympics sports?--Italodal (talk) 13:51, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
- Winter Games. All Winter Olympic Games' Sports are on the list: Biathlon, Bobsleigh, Curling, Ice hockey, Figure skating, Luge, Speed skating, Alpine skiing, Freestyle skiing and Snowboarding. Cross-country skiing, Nordic combined and Ski jumping are on the Nordic skiing Championships, Short track is on Speed skating Championships and Skeleton is with the Bobsleigh Championships.
- The only missing Olympic Sports are Archery, Modern pentathlon and Sailing.--Italodal (talk) 17:46, 25 August 2009 (UTC)
- I add Archery, Modern pentathlon and Sailing. All Olympic sports (Summer and Winter) are on the list. But many of these articles are only stubs, I hope this template can help to spread these world championships articles and more editors could expand them!--Italodal (talk) 01:27, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
Fixing the Template
Someone has messed up this Tamplate. Some important sports are now missing (Rugby, Golf, Tennis etc) and some games that aren't considered sports are on the list (Debating or Quiz for example). My first step was deleting some Championships and put others in different categories. My next step will be to put again some missing sports and correcting few mistakes.--Italodal (talk) 04:15, 7 February 2010 (UTC)
The majors are not world championships and not considered as such. Even the World Golf Championships and the Dubai World Championship are not treated as such despite their titles. Therefore they should not be included in this template. wjematherbigissue 22:36, 20 March 2010 (UTC)
There appears to be an ongoing conflict over which baseball tournament should be included in this template; Baseball World Cup or World Baseball Classic. There are obvious claims for either given they are both recognised as world championships by the IBAF. The BWC is the older tournament and will most likely out-live the Classic, which will only continue as long as the MLB deem it worth their while. My suggestion would be to include both at this time, but am not sure how that could be best achieved. wjematherbigissue 08:52, 18 April 2010 (UTC)
- Of course, the BWC has been discontinued outright in favor of the WBC. As such, only the one is needed.oknazevad (talk) 16:33, 3 February 2013 (UTC)
Since this is the highest level of enduro team championship, I think it should be on the template, even though its name does not have "world" or "championship".
Badminton and tennis team championships don't have those words either, though these all have "cup" in their names. And actually, none of these mentioned (enduro, badminton & tennis) are "world championships". But, if those badminton & tennis team competitions are considered as such, then should ISDE also. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 00:25, 25 February 2013 (UTC)