|WikiProject Psychology||(Rated Template-class)|
Problems with this template
The rules for navigation templates, as listed in Wikipedia:Categories, lists, and navigation templates, are that ideally they should link to a small, well-defined group of articles on wikipedia.
- All articles within a template relate to a single, coherent subject. - template fails this
- The subject of the template should be mentioned in every article. - many article don't mention narcissism
- The articles should refer to each other, to a reasonable extent. - don't think this is true for this template. The articles and wikionary links don't refer to each other.
- There should be a Wikipedia article on the subject of the template. - not true. Template links multiple times to the same article e.g. Narcissistic personality disorder and Narcissism. Many links are piped misleadingly.
According to the Reliable sources noticeboard, "The purpose of these templates are for navigation, thus the name navigational templates, meaning to link between wikipedia articles, not pages in external websites, including sistersites such as wiktionary."
This template links to sistersites such as wiktionary. e.g. Arrogance, Bravado, Conceit, Drama queen, Grandstanding, Haughtiness, Hidden agenda, Self-absorbed, Swaggering, Jerk, Swaggering. These do not have wikipedia articles.
It also links to wikipedia articles that don't mention narcissism. e.g. Walter Mitty, Nepotism, Valley girl, Diva, Dorian Gray syndrome, Mr. Toad, Tantrum Empire-building, Metrosexual, Don Juanism, Prima donna, Snob, Valley girl, Messiah complex, Micromanagement, Victory disease etc.
Since this template is in Category: Psychology templates, I propose that it only link to articles in psychology that discuss narcissism to a reasonable degree.
- Thanks for raising these concerns, which seem to be valid. It's not quite a proper use of a navigational template to have many many links to the same article, or to unrelated articles. I've removed some links but I urge other editors to get involved in tidying up this template. MartinPoulter (talk) 13:54, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
- User:Penbat, though Farrajak may have been a sock puppet, the problems highlighted with the template are real and bold action needs to be taken to bring it into line with Wikipedia policy and the purpose of a navigational template. Please respond by engaging in the discussion, not using misleadingly-summarised edits to get the template how you want it. MartinPoulter (talk) 19:02, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
- See also this edit summary from another user. MartinPoulter (talk) 10:54, 22 June 2013 (UTC)
Discussion of multiple templates including this one
Just created at Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Psychology#Review_of_navigational_templates. MartinPoulter (talk) 16:42, 27 July 2013 (UTC)