Template talk:Revision control software
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Revision control software template.|
- Good question. Mercurial has been used by some prominent projects since well before that 1.0 release, which is a pretty good sign that it was quite stable before that. Any suggestions? Moxfyre (ǝɹʎℲxoɯ | contrib) 17:29, 28 September 2009 (UTC)
SCCS open source?
SCCS is listed under open source software. While that may be true now with OpenSolaris and Ancient UNIX licenses, it is also distributed in proprietary versions, which may still be more prevalent. Shouldn't it be under proprietary? Qwertyus (talk) 10:51, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
- I decided instead to move SCCS and RCS to a separate group "Traditional". Neither follows a client-server architecture, at least not in the networking sense of the word, being both based on Unix and timesharing. Qwertyus (talk) 01:24, 30 November 2010 (UTC)
- As SCCS is the fastest source control system and as SCCS uses the most interesting history file format, I tried to bring SCCS into OSS more than 10 years ago already, by negotiating with SCO. Two weeks before the related source from SCO should be given out, SCO has been bought by Caldera Linux and the interest for making things OSS disappeared. It took some additional time to convince Sun to to it finally in December 2006.
- Sun sees SCCS as a separate product and even in former times, SCCS was not part of the UNIX sources but part of the programmers workbench. This is why SCCS is not covered by the ancient UNIX license. If SCO was not bought by Caldera, nobody would claim a context to OpenSolaris. SCCS is highly portable (it even works on VMS) and it is developed independently from OpenSolaris.
- There is no active development in the closed source versions at Sun, SCO, IBM, HP, Silicon Graphics, ... since 1999 when all these vendors made a last common attempt to eliminate the y2k problem. There is however active development on the OSS SCCS. SCCS is even on it's way to become a distributed source control system soon. --Schily (talk) 11:19, 9 July 2011 (UTC)
- Put differently: There is a single active developer: User:Schily. There might be as many users, too. Apparently it has been abandoned by the original developers at Sun/Oracle. I'd call this "historical". --126.96.36.199 (talk) 19:02, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
- Agree - one indication of multiple active developers would be the changelog. Random WP:COI/self-promotional edits are not WP:RS TEDickey (talk) 20:38, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
CMVC is dead
CMVC seems to be dead, should be in italics, right?