|WikiProject Animation||(Rated Template-class)|
/Archive 1 – Initial content/format discussions
- 1 FAQ - Unnecessary changes
- 2 Suggestions for template changes
- 3 Vandalism
- 4 The Template (as navibox)
- 5 Addition
- 6 Theodore Tugboat
- 7 The video games
- 8 Rewrite complete
- 9 Woodland Animations (link removed)
- 10 Proposal
FAQ - Unnecessary changes
Recently the template has been modified by one or more anonymous editors applying changes which are regarded by WP:THOMAS project members as unnecessary. In particular:
The Fat Controller
Remember that this template covers The Railway Series books, as well as the Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends television series. Therefore, the name The Fat Controller is to be used for this link as this is the more commonly known term. (It is also the name of the main article, and avoids using a redirect ('Sir Tophamm Hatt' is a redirect)).
TV Series Title
The newer name for the series (Thomas and Friends) is also included in the template as a non-link, and therefore there is no need to swap these names over.
The page titles now have a consistent format applied that is in keeping with WP standards. Please do not modify the capitalisation further.
After much consideration, only the main characters have been given links within the template. Typically, these are characters that have their own article pages. In order to keep the template to manageable proportions, no other characters should be added to the template.
If you have suggestions for changes to make to this template, please leave a comment where indicated below. Such suggestions will be considered by WP:THOMAS project members (who are watching this page) and will be reviewed for inclusion in the template. Changes made to the template without discussing here first are liable to be reverted without warning, as this template is included on a large number of pages.
Suggestions for template changes
I think we should protect the template. It's being vandalised constantly. S.C.Ruffeyfan 18:02, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
Someone put Gadget Boy on the template! That hasn't anything to do with it so I deleted it, fair and square. --S.C.Ruffeyfan 19:41, 27 November 2007 (UTC)
Yeah. --S.C.Ruffeyfan 18:14, 6 January 2008 (UTC)
- I'm not sure anyone's thought of it before! Various 'shapes' and layouts have been tried, and this one was settled on over a year ago. Speaking personally, I do not mind if someone wishes to convert it to hidable navibox format. I cannot speak for other WP:THOMAS project members (but most of them have been pretty quiet recently!)
- I'll add it to my ToDo list, but it will be a low priority, so don't hold your breath!
- EdJogg (talk) 16:13, 5 March 2008 (UTC)
I added "Theodore Tugboat" to the see also section of the navbox as it is related to Thomas and TUGS through Robert D. Cardona's work on all three. ZEM a.k.a. Hankengine (talk) 19:01, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
- I'm not entirely convinced. However, TUGS has been allowed to remain, so I guess you might have a valid argument for TT. Just as long as there is just the one link to those series.
- EdJogg (talk) 13:19, 23 July 2008 (UTC)
Why is Theodore Tugboat on the template? It has no relation to Thomas what so ever. Tugs is only up there since it relates to the world of Thomas and was created by the people who created the tv series of Thomas. I've taken it down since it doesn't have anything to do with Thomas. --Victory93 (talk) 01:16, 17 September 2008 (UTC)
- I'm not even convinced that Tugs should be here -- it is only very loosely connected to Thomas & Friends.
EdJogg (talk) 06:34, 17 September 2008 (UTC)
- Thank you. I like your revised version. It needs some tweaking but is a bit tidier than previous, and the TUGS/Tugboat refs make sense now. EdJogg (talk) 16:24, 22 September 2008 (UTC)
The video games
- We have the merchandise page for items like this. The template is already very large. EdJogg (talk) 06:36, 17 September 2008 (UTC)
Having discovered what could be done with the Navbox template, I have completely re-organised the template yet again. This time one of the aims was to reduce the height, which I think I've done more than adequately. Users may now open just the Railway Series or TtTE&F boxes and find the relevant information. The top section contains links which are common to both.
Having been looking for several years now I have failed to find any link between 'Thomas' and Woodland Animations, apart from the IMDB entry, which is not considered a Reliable Source. Hence the link has now been removed from the template.
Please do not replace the link unless you can supply a Reliable Source as a reference.
- Mr. Percival is a redirect to the section in List of people and animals from Thomas and Friends. There really isn't any more information that can be added as he is not a major character, so there is certainly no need for an article. -- EdJogg (talk) 13:28, 22 November 2011 (UTC)