|Series||World of the Lupi|
|Genre||Urban fantasy, Paranormal romance and Romance novel|
|Publisher||Penguin Books (USA)|
|Publication date||October, 2004|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
|LC Classification||CPB Box no. 2287 vol. 20|
|Preceded by||Originally Human|
|Followed by||Mortal Danger|
Lily Yu is a San Diego police detective investigating a series of grisly murders that appear to be the work of a werewolf. To hunt down the killer, she must infiltrate the clans. Only one man can help her - a werewolf named Rule Turner, a prince of the lupi, whose charismatic presence disturbs Lily. Rule has his own reasons for helping the investigation - reasons he doesn't want to share with Lily. Logic and honor demand she keep her distance, but the attraction between them is immediate, devastating, and beyond human reason. Now, in a race to fend off evil, Lily finds herself in uncharted territory, tested as never before, and at her back a man who she's not sure she can trust.
- Lily Yu - a Chinese-American sensitive who works for the Magical Crimes Division of the FBI.
- Rule Turner - the Nokolai Heir (or prince, as the press like to dub him). His werewolf clan is located in San Diego, California.
- Cynna Weaver - a Finder whose image decorates the cover of Blood Lines. The tattoos are how Cynna works her special brand of magic.
- Cullen Seabourne - a recent adoption to Rule's Nokolai werewolf clan. Cullen was clanless for many years. He is also a sorcerer, which is a slightly illegal pastime according to the federal authorities. Eileen describes him as sin incarnate to look at.
Tie in with Only Human
This romantic suspense novel revisits the characters and world introduced in the short story Only Human in the Lover Beware anthology, but it covers very different territory. It expands the original story and ends up taking the characters in different directions than the original short story.
- "Romantic Times 2004 Reviewers' Choice Award Nominees". Romantic Times. 2004. Archived from the original on 2007-06-14. Retrieved 2007-06-23.